PDA

View Full Version : Spyderpops Radiator Blockoff Plate - I Have Concerns

mpapatonis
06-30-2014, 09:49 AM
I installed the radiator blockoff plate yesterday on my 2010 RTS. The plastic panel underneath that they tell you to remove seems worrisome. It leaves quite a few components exposed, including some wiring. I'm interested to hear what others have done when installing the blockoff.

Pennyrick
06-30-2014, 10:05 AM
I installed the radiator blockoff plate yesterday on my 2010 RTS. The plastic panel underneath that they tell you to remove seems worrisome. It leaves quite a few components exposed, including some wiring. I'm interested to hear what others have done when installing the blockoff.

Took it off my 2010 RT and then removed it from my 2011 RT and it is absent now from my 2012 RT. No ill effects in all that time.

If it bothers you just take a one inch hole saw and cut six to eight holes in it and it will accomplish the same end.

Suggest you do not leave it on as the air can only only go one way.... up!

Jeriatric
06-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Generally speaking. You have nothing to worry about. Many have removed the panel(s) and many thousands of miles have been collectively logged with them removed. Without any damage reports....I can recall. That said, anything CAN happen.

DrewNJ
06-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Think of the exposed components exposed on the spyder as being no different than being exposed on any other motorcycle

mpapatonis
06-30-2014, 10:43 AM
That's a good point. Knowing that others have done it without any issues makes it seem less precarious. Thanks for the feedback.

BajaRon
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
The lower panels on our Spyder have nothing to do with 'Protection'. They were installed to reduce external noise so that they could pass the EPA Decibel restrictions. Removing them will increase noise slightly, you will never notice the difference. And, it will relieve a lot of HOT AIR, giving it an easy exit, away from the riders. This, you will definitely notice, and your Spyder will thank you for it. :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
The lower panels on our Spyder have nothing to do with 'Protection'. They were installed to reduce external noise so that they could pass the EPA Decibel restrictions. Removing them will increase noise slightly, you will never notice the difference. And, it will relieve a lot of HOT AIR, giving it an easy exit, away from the riders. This, you will definitely notice, and your Spyder will thank you for it. :thumbup:my Spyder seems to be running a bit cooler with the block off plate and the lower panel removed--most noticible at speed on the highway.

YIRYDE
06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
When I had my 2011 RT I put a couple of 2" holes in it with a hole saw.

AlEverett
06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
What has everyone done with the 2013 models. Spyderpops recommends drilling the holes in the plate. Has everyone done this or are you removing the plate. If you remove the plate what do you do with the evaporator hose?

Dan McNally
06-30-2014, 02:14 PM
What has everyone done with the 2013 models. Spyderpops recommends drilling the holes in the plate. Has everyone done this or are you removing the plate. If you remove the plate what do you do with the evaporator hose?

I've refrained from installing the block off plate because the size of the holes drilled into the 2013 RT plate don't come close to the size of the original opening that the block off plate covers . . . which would result in less air movement and less cooling. I'll put up with the occasional hotfoot until someone invents a better mousetrap . . . how's that coming, inventors??

Chupaca
06-30-2014, 02:23 PM
though mine is an RS I just made them swiss cheese...90855 This may help if you rather have some protection/sound proofing...:thumbup:

AbNormy
06-30-2014, 03:04 PM
When Harvey install ed mine @ his shop he drilled the firewall with several door knob size holes to route heat back. I later got his other little piece that helped & added some insulating duct foam tape around edges of panels. Recently pulled my Cat plan to wrap the right header pipe had left one done shortly after his blocks put on. Ongoing process

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Magdave
06-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I've refrained from installing the block off plate because the size of the holes drilled into the 2013 RT plate don't come close to the size of the original opening that the block off plate covers . . . which would result in less air movement and less cooling. I'll put up with the occasional hotfoot until someone invents a better mousetrap . . . how's that coming, inventors??

2014 Rt side grille on 2013
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84896&d=1394925825 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=84895)

Before I cleaned up the edges it works like a flap pushing the hot air downward instead of at your foot.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84895&d=1394925806 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=83790)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83783&d=1393290546 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=82917)

sjcpanther
06-30-2014, 05:25 PM
OK, so removing the lower panel gives the same result as installing the block-off plate?

Just curious if this is true. How much better does the block-off plate divert the heat?

Cruzr Joe
06-30-2014, 09:28 PM
OK, so removing the lower panel gives the same result as installing the block-off plate?

Just curious if this is true. How much better does the block-off plate divert the heat?

For best results, remove the trays underneath and add the block off plate (2012 an earlier)

Cut several 2 - 3' holes in lower tray and add block off plate (2013)

Just ride and don't worry about it, there is no heat (2014's)

Cruzr Joe

Magdave
06-30-2014, 09:35 PM

No it is a combo of both. You can spend $28 for the 2014 rt grille and block off the lower hole if you trim less around the edges ( and get the upper honeycomb that helps divert the air outward especially at a stop) than I did and take off the lower panel and get the same results.:thumbup: I did not want to butcher the swoop on my 2013 it is different than the earlier years no plate to remove.

Denny B.
07-01-2014, 09:24 AM
The lower panels on our Spyder have nothing to do with 'Protection'. They were installed to reduce external noise so that they could pass the EPA Decibel restrictions. Removing them will increase noise slightly, you will never notice the difference. And, it will relieve a lot of HOT AIR, giving it an easy exit, away from the riders. This, you will definitely notice, and your Spyder will thank you for it. :thumbup:

Is the lower panel you refer to a panel underneath?

Magdave
07-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Is the lower panel you refer to a panel underneath?

Pre 2013 RT's have a panel underneath the radiator that can be removed. 2013 and up have a one piece swoop that is not removable and holes need to be drilled to use a full block off plate. My solution with the trimmed down 2014 rt. grille allows the heat to exit at the bottom going downward and not back on your foot. With the upper honeycomb (like the left side) it also slightly redirects the heat outward especially at a stop. If you look at the hole from your rear rt. luggage carrier you will see the fan from the radiator and you will see it WILL shoot straight back at your leg when on but with the upper honeycomb on you will also not see the radiator due to the slight redirection that occurs. It has worked well for me so far. Plus it makes the bike look complete I never liked the gaping hole on the right side.:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-01-2014, 11:08 PM
This is what I did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69303-My-upper-heat-block-mod