PDA

View Full Version : Fixing to Order I Think

LRCulpepper
09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone I just joined the group after spending many hours of researching the internet and reading about the Spyder. I went this past weekend and test rode both an SM5 and SE5 and completely enjoyed both. So I am ready to get one but I still have thought everyone talks about the fun of the ride and every time someone has any thing to say bad it is coevered up with comments that they are wrong. So basicly What I am asking tell me the bad you found about owning a spyder I already know the good from the test rides. Also the dealer has offered to sell me his demo SM5 instead of waiting for an order any thoughts about buying a demo vs waiting how important is the break end period on a Cam AM? I guess I am being long winded for my 1st post but is there any Texas owners out there?

VIspyderman
09-19-2008, 01:58 PM
What's the bad with owning a Spyder. It's having to stop. Stop for fuel, food, groceries, anything. Why? Cuz the crowds start. Questions, comments, questions, questions. If you're in a hurry... don't stop.

zzneonzz
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
The bad? I have not found any bad in owning the spyder. I have had my SE5 for going on 2 months now and it is the most fun i have ever had. (Never owned a 2 wheel though). I haven't had any problems with my yet that others have said they have had. There are a few mods that i think are a must even though i don't have them all yet I will definately be adding them at some point hopefully in the near future.

NancysToy
09-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Takes up a lot of room in the garage. LOL Most everything else is personal preference. Some like the wind, some don't, some like the seat, some don't, some can see in the mirrors, some can't. Read through the old posts here, and you'll get an idea of the issues, but keep in mind that not everyone has issues, or the same issues. Would we buy a Spyder for my wife again...YES! Would be buy a second one for me...maybe someday. It is a good ryde, with nothing more than minor annoyances, in my book.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
09-19-2008, 02:32 PM
The bad in owning one is that it is just the start of the dollar drain. If you already have a motorcycle, then you have helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, raingear. etc. If not, add $600 for gear. Consider getting the BEST warranty ($900), and put aside another $1,000 for your first accessories. Don't forget $500 - $800 for insurance. Never had so much fun spending money.

drifter
09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
What do you want the SM5 or the SE5? I could have bought a spyder off the lot (this dealer was two hours away) but didn’t like the idea that others may have really beat it up during test drives and I liked the idea of buying from my local dealer since all my future business (maintenance) will be done there. I was able to get a few discounts too. In retrospect I think I should have bought the spyder on the spot just because I’m so impatient but I think I made the right choice for me, that’s the only negative thing I have to say…….the waiting stinks!:mad:

FANG
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
This is my first venture into the open wheeled rydes. I have had my SpYder :spyder:for 3 month now and i can honestly say it is the most enjoyable thing I have ever owned. My wife and I enjoy ryding on the weekends (this is a gal who said she would never get on the back of one). Have had no problems to speak of - bought mine without ever ryding one. Has been a terrific to spend my extra cash - just wish there was more to spend on accessories.
Know you will enjoy yours and by the way.welcome

ataDude
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
As a 2-wheeled rider for a lonnnnnng time, I can tell you that, during the first couple weeks or so, I kept asking myself "Self, exactly why did you buy this thing?"

After learning to not hang on with a "death grip", the ride turned totally fun. I don't even ride the tricked out Valkyrie I have left... may even sell it.

It's a hoot! No death grips! :2thumbs:

ArmyGurl
09-19-2008, 05:23 PM
The wait........... it sucks:(. But in the meantime welcome

bjt
09-19-2008, 06:08 PM
welcome

If someone was going to buy the demo that my dealer has, I would say yes. His demo sits up on a display stand and I don't think it comes down for test rides. Plus, on the raised platform, it tends to keep people from sitting on it and messing with things. If your dealer's demo is used for test rides, I might be concerned with buying it unless he threw in a few accessories and maybe an extended warranty as you have no way of knowing if someone ragged on it, smoked the back tire, rode with the brakes on, etc.

My wife and I each own one and we haven't had any real bad issues with our Spyders. We would both buy it again and wouldn't trade them for any other bike out there.

Smylinacha
09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
welcome
Can't think of anything bad about owning the :spyder:

hotbot
09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
It is sooo much fun. Dont get one if you dont want the attention. You will take twice as long to make a quick trip, there is no such thing when you take it somewhere. That is the only bad thing, if you consider it to be bad.

Star Cruiser
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
It is hard to think of anything that is annoying. Here are a few things tht I can think of, and IMO they woud not distract me from buying if I had to do it all over again.
1) The Wait...yeah it was 9 months in getting the SE5
2) Not exactly a fuel efficient machine. It is still early, but not close to what I got with my V-Star 1100 Cruiser
3) There are not a lot of accessories out there. If you want to customize at all, you have to "fashion" most things yourself.
4) No issues yet, but I am a little afraid that cost of repairing the many computer module components will be expensive (if they need fixing) A POSITIVE though is if you get the B.E.S.T Plan (Expended Warranty) it is 5years UNLIMITED MILAGE.
Belive me, once you get it putting on Milage will NOT be an issue. They are FUN, FUN, FUN

jimjel
09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Suggest you read through the posts here. You will find there have been quite a few problems noted by various owners.