PDA

View Full Version : Baker Air Wings and BRP adjustable wings

Gray Ghost
06-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I installed the Baker airwings (all three per side) just before we started the trip. We really like them, well worth the money. But it still gets a bit warm and we had been looking at the BRP wings. Since they were 10% off at the Owners Event, I picked up a set. I believe that they make a definite improvement. I can feel the wind pushing over the top of my legs when they are open.

lwrydr
06-29-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a set of BRP wings and do not see any diff with them in any position.

jcthorne
06-29-2014, 07:40 PM
They defiantly make a difference in air flow and direction for each of the three positions. Don't know how you can say they have no effect. You do have to be moving though....

mastertek2000
06-29-2014, 07:56 PM
i have them and the baker wings they work great really help me out what i did not like about the Baker wings is when you have to check the oil on the bike now you need a wrench
so i took a 1/4 x 20 stainless steel bolt and wing nut turned down the bolt on the lathe so now no tools needed to check the oil

Gray Ghost
06-29-2014, 08:12 PM
I just left the plastic vent cover off. Don't have to remove anything to check the oil.

PrairieSpyder
06-29-2014, 08:51 PM
I bought a set of adjustable deflectors from PitBull at the OE just before I left there. They really helped send more air to my lower body. I hear the Bakers work well, but the OEMs are cheaper and, IMHO, they look a lot better. I'm also concerned about when the Baker air wings material wears and gets scratched and pitted. Then they would look even worse.

Good luck on your decision.

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Even though I realize that form is less important than function; I just never cared for those big flaps hanging off the sides of my bike... :shocked:
I dig the ones from BRP! :thumbup:

mastertek2000
06-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Even though I realize that form is less important than function; I just never cared for those big flaps hanging off the sides of my bike... :shocked:
I feel you Bob I was the same way but what you get in return out weighs the look LOL I am getting use to the look

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 06:57 AM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear that you're diggin' them! :2thumbs:
I had a set of Baker-Builts on my 'Wing... They DO re-direct a lot of air! nojoke

lwrydr
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
They defiantly make a difference in air flow and direction for each of the three positions. Don't know how you can say they have no effect. You do have to be moving though....

:bowdown: I have to be moving to get air flow......silly me....seriously I like them ok and they look good they just don't put the air flow where I want it....

bluestratos
06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree, the baker wings just do not suit the style of our bikes. The BRP match better but do very little to move air toward the driver in any position however I have noticed that on a cold day I have to close them as I can feel enough to make it uncomfortable. The biggest problem is that the shape of bike changes the airflow after it passes over the wings. If you drop a piece of paper next to your legs, it is sucked up and forward then down the opening for the steering column. There is a low pressure area created disrupts the flow making the wings and the windshield vent basically ineffective.

DJFaninTN
06-30-2014, 09:47 AM
i too thought I hated the looks of the Baker's. Something just looked out of place but once I got them installed, after a few days I hardly noticed them and they can make a huge difference. one of the best investments I've made on my spyder.

BikerDoc
06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
I bought a set of adjustable deflectors from PitBull at the OE just before I left there. They really helped send more air to my lower body. I hear the Bakers work well, but the OEMs are cheaper and, IMHO, they look a lot better. I'm also concerned about when the Baker air wings material wears and gets scratched and pitted. Then they would look even worse.

Good luck on your decision. I also had trouble with the pivot bolt/screw failing after a year of use- from then on the Baker Air Wings
would not hold their position.. very frustrating.. I happy now to have a 14 and not worry as much about heat

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 10:08 AM
This might just be the solution! :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69406-Air-Conditioner-For-Your-Spyder

jerpinoy
06-30-2014, 11:30 AM
i have them and the baker wings they work great really help me out what i did not like about the Baker wings is when you have to check the oil on the bike now you need a wrench
so i took a 1/4 x 20 stainless steel bolt and wing nut turned down the bolt on the lathe so now no tools needed to check the oil

Thanks on this innovation that you shared.