PDA

View Full Version : Potential New Spyder Owner

rkicklighter
06-29-2014, 05:41 AM
First off, let me say thanks in advance to anyone for their advice and wisdom.

The wife and I are seriously thinking of going to a '14 RT-S SM6 at some point later this year (November-December time frame). Yes, I want the manual transmission and really won't buy anything else. My background, I have been riding since age 5, that's 49 years of experience on motorcycles of every type, shape and description. Including motocross and road racing in my earlier years. Although an electrical engineer by trade I build and customize bikes, cars and trucks in my spare time. I have mostly a full shop myself and access to a machine shop for custom parts.

Our current ride is a Harley Ultra Classic which we truly love. However, both of us are getting older every day, we both have knee problems, we are short people and honestly it is getting more and more difficult to safely handle this UC as when she is fully loaded for a long trip we're pushing 1200 pounds easy. This is the reason we are looking at the RT, from my standpoint it is more of a safety aspect than anything else and comfort a close second.

Our riding style runs the gamut from 80+ MPH several hundred mile jaunts on the interstate to back roads, twistys and mountains. It's nothing for us to ride 500 miles in a day just for lunch or rack up 2 to 3000 miles over the course of a 5 or 6 day trip. At some point after retirement in a few years we plan on hitting the four corners of the US. Now that's a trip!

Now that I have given you some background about us, a few questions.

Given our riding style, my 49 years on 2 wheels and coming from a big touring bike, what are the pitfalls I may encounter? The lack of a front brake lever is going to be one!

How is Can-Am about service and regular maintenance? I always take a new vehicle into the dealer for the first service, afterwards they never go back unless it's a warranty issue. I do all my own regular maintenance. (and that of several friends)

For anyone who has gone from a Harley to the Spyder, how does the maintenance compare? Things like oil changes, belt maintenance, tire mileage, electrical gremlins, etc?

How about performance upgrades, what's available, how does it affect warranty? I can't seem to leave anything stock, my UC was stock long enough for me to ride it 80 miles from the dealer to home.

Comfort upgrades? Grips, seats, floor boards, heel and toe shifters (I've been hooked on h&t shifter for years)

Last (for now), what are some of the necessary options I should get when / if I decide to buy? If we buy, I know we will get the matching trailer with the bike.

I hope to get a test ride scheduled soon. We have an excellent dealer, I just can't seem to get my work schedule in sync to setup a test.

Thanks again for any information anyone can provide. This isn't a decision I make lightly as I am still toying with the idea of throwing a Lehman trike kit on the UC.

Highwayman2013
06-29-2014, 06:37 AM
I think you are correct, get a test ride to see what you think. The ride and handling on the RT is very good and yes it will take some getting used to from a 2 wheeler. The service at the dealers is a little hit and miss but there are very good dealers out there. The maintaining the spyder isn't hard once you get the hang of removing the body work. There are many accessories that are available if you look at the vendors on this site you will be amazed. The best way to determine what to change on the spyder is to ride it and change what will make you more comfortable. There is a company that makes a hand brake if you can't do without it. The first mods I wold do: Bajaron swaybar, Spyderpops bumpskid, laser alignment. I think you will enjoy the spyder once you ride it. Many of us have come from or still ride 2 wheelers as well. The spyder we have is my wife's so watch out you may end up with two. Good luck with your decision.

PW2013STL
06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
First off - Welcome to the best site for all things Spyder related!

I started riding in 1967 and last year sold my Road Gluide Ultra in order to purchase my RT Limited with matching RT 622 trailer for the same reason as you state - older knees, short inseam, and heavy bike loaded up. In the last 10 years I put 182,000 miles on my 2 Harley's.

I went with the SE transmission because it is so much fun and seem to make since with the Spyder. When you do test ride try both.

Oil changes are not that hard, but you do have to remove Tupperware to get to the area. Like you I also have the dealer do the first (3000 miles on the 2014) service and then do all my own after that. After the first service the following are at 9,300 mile marks
Belt - I do not know as I have not had to do anything with mine yet.
Tire mileage - this is the one area that most 2014 owners are having issues with. Rear tires seem to only last around 6,000 miles for most owners, but you can do what I and a lot of owners are doing. Put on a car tire

Upgrades - lots of those. If you enjoy fast curves you can upgrade the swaybar and shocks.
comfort - seats, adjustable handlebars, floorboards, and windscreens all can change for your comfort.

The big thing is understand that these are not a two wheel motorcycle so they drive differently. No counter steering and in curves the g forces are trying to toss you off not push you into the seat like on a two wheeler. Once you get the hang of it it's a blast to drive. Spyders have power steering so a light grip works best ( think of holding a raw egg in each hand that you do not want to break) as any input from you will cause the Spyder to react.

Before you convert your Harley try a Tri-Gluide to see how you like that as compared to the Spyder.

If you would like to talk about this give me a call. I am currently on a road trip so after 8:00 pm is best.

Les
612-716-3775

bodymanpainter
06-29-2014, 07:55 AM
First welcome to the forum.
The wife and I tried the Goldwing trike and the Harley Triglide and the 2014 Spyder RTS before
we bought. That being said we liked things about all of them but in the end price and safety won out. The Spyder has the most
safety features and the best price for what you get and it is a factory built trike as is the Triglide but much more stable and
for us a few minor changes and the most comfortable to ride. We just took a short trip to the mountains and pulled a fully
loaded trailer with the Spyder and never knew it was back there , just allow a little more time to stop at highway speeds.
We are planning a cross country trip next year and glad we got the Spyder to do it with as it is one of the best road bikes
built so far!
I see you are in SE. GA., if you are close to Jesup GA. there is a great dealer for the Spyders called Bargeron Power Sports
that so far has been great to deal with for service and purchases.
You will get a lot of good advice here from some very nice people that know the Spyder's inside and out so keep asking
questions and do some test rides when the time permits and good luck with your search.
Toby

rkicklighter
06-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks to all! Figuring out the "Tupperware" is not an issue, my son had a few sport bikes in his "crotch rocket" days and almost every time I went to do something had to take the plastic apart! Almost as bad with my UC, always removing something so I can get into an area.

The first upgrades seem like good ones and I have them on my list. The suggestion of trying a Harley Tri-Glide is also a good one and something I plan on doing next weekend. We will be in Ft. Walton Beach visiting family and a good friend of mine who lives there just bought a '14 Tri-Glide. He has offered to let me take it out for a spin.

Dealers for ANYTHING seem to be hit and miss anymore. The dealer I bought my UC from and several other Harleys changed owners a couple of years ago and the whole place has almost gone to crap. Appears as if all they want to do is sell you a new bike and forget all else.

Bodyman, my son told me about Bargeron Power Sports and I plan to swing by next time I can get down to Jesup. We live in Statesboro and I know the man who owns the dealership here, Statesboro Power Sports. I have no problems with them as a dealer and have dealt with them since they opened on various Suzuki and ATV parts. However, they are a smaller dealer and usually have only one or two Spyders in stock. I think they do more with ATVs and PWC than anything else. But, that's just my observation over the times I have went in. Talked with them a few weeks ago and they had no manuals in the RT-S models. I also went into Jacksonville Power Sports when working in FL a few weeks back and they had no manuals either. Salesmen at both dealerships were very knowledgeable and stated they sell the SE6 about 4 to 1 over the SM6.

I'm going to try and get in some test rides shortly, hopefully in the next couple of months, and hope Can-Am may have demo rides at the Thunderbeach Fall Rally in Panama City. My biggest issue is I travel about 80% of the time for work and when I'm home its time to play catch up on all the things to be done around the house.

Thanks Again!

Chupaca
06-29-2014, 10:44 AM
all you need to know of the transition is here and having time you can search it out and enjoy the reading. Although the more you read the closer that date may come. I'm on an RS so will let those on the new 1330 ACE fill you in on your questions. You will get the hang of it fast and both will love it...get to a dealer and test ryde them...!! :thumbup:

Major spyder
06-29-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't think you'll be disappointed....our RTS '13. Was our first motorcycle ...then this yr we bit the bullet and upgraded to the '14. Haven't looked back....it's all the difference.....in our near 15k miles..we've talked to lots of Harley drivers...and nearly all said that the RT would be there next ride....making the same comments of age and weight was the driving force to move to CAN AM Spyder......

I will ill look forward to sharing some asphalt with you some day.....:spyder2:

Howard

Illinois Boy
06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
I have been riding since age 5, that's 49 years of experience on motorcycles of every type, shape and description.

I own both an Ultra-Limited 2014 (one of a few HD's over the years); and a 2011 RTS Spyder. I have put a decent number of miles on a 2014 RTS 1330 to know its characteristics well enough to speak about it.

My guess is you are going to like some features of a traditional trike over the Spyder. One would be the low-end torque of the Harley over the 1330 engine. While the 1330 is an improvement, it is no match for the torque of the Harley -- and certainly if you like the big V-twin sound, you'll never get it with the 1330. If those two are not an issue for you, then the 1330 Spyder is something to consider.

The Spyder has some advantages with regard to safety and stability over a trike. However, some feel these same safety features interferes with the performance of the machine at its fringes. Let's just say it is a tame-machine by anyone's standards (my opinion).

Self-maintenance can be done, but dealing with the tupperware on Spyders gets old; despite the fact you'll get fast at removing it. Updates to the computer system is not something you'll be able to do though. Your dealer will have to provide that; just like any updates on your Ultra.

Regarding warranty issues; BRP's view is common with other manufacturers. If you put something on or take something off and it causes the problem, then you pay -- period. The good thing is the burden of proof lies on the manufacturer in the U.S. -- but still, you know the limit of where mods will infringe upon the warranty.

Some of the features of the machine cannot be effectively modified due to interference with the computer system (Nanny). Simple mods, however, appear to be abundant and growing daily.

One thing for certain though; you'll soon not worry about where you pull into with the Spyder since it is stable and has a reverse.

Good luck on your decision...

ARtraveler
06-29-2014, 02:45 PM
You sound like a perfect candidate for the new 2014 RT-S, even if it is the manual transmission. :roflblack:

There is a difference from your current ride and the RT-S. A test drive will help you with a decision there.

I have also had many years of riding (since 1965) and driven many bikes--including luxury bikes and big cruisers. (1984 Yamaha Venture, 200? Kawasaki Voyager, 2006 Vulcan 2000cc Cruiser) etc. etc.

My reasons for going to Spyder were at first because it was different (2008) and then out of necessity. Bad hip, precludes holding up a thousand pound machine. The :spyder2: solved all the issues for me.

Some basic information about your questions:
:ani29:: You can upgrade to the 9's if you desire. I recommend go slow though. Give the basic machine a couple thousand miles before you go "whole hog" (pardon the pun).

:ani29:: Brake lever for the front--you won't miss it after a hundred miles or so. The ABS is very sufficient for most. Does you car have dual brake levers?--nah--I am guessing you will find you don't need it.

:ani29:: Servicing. The 2014's have changed service intervals. First oil change and check over at 3000 miles, then every 9000 miles or once a year. No valve adjustments required as a part of servicing now. There are issues with tires--some are getting 6000 or less miles on tires. Keep watching posts about tires for that.

Finally, I think you will like the :ani29: if you decide to go for it. I have had a few, put on a few miles, and am still a happy customer.

Deanna777
06-29-2014, 06:41 PM
:welcome:and :congrats:. Don't be shy on asking questions on this website, we are here to help. Deanna777:ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-29-2014, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=rkicklighter;833620]First off, let me say thanks in advance to anyone for their advice and wisdom.

The wife and I are seriously thinking of going to a '14 RT-S SM6 at some point later this year (November-December time frame). Yes, I want the manual transmission and really won't buy anything else. My background, I have been riding since age 5, that's 49 years of experience on motorcycles of every type, shape and description. Including motocross and road racing in my earlier years. Although an electrical engineer by trade I build and customize bikes, cars and trucks in my spare time. I have mostly a full shop myself and access to a machine shop for custom parts.

Our current ride is a Harley Ultra Classic which we truly love. However, both of us are getting older every day, we both have knee problems, we are short people and honestly it is getting more and more difficult to safely handle this UC as when she is fully loaded for a long trip we're pushing 1200 pounds easy. This is the reason we are looking at the RT, from my standpoint it is more of a safety aspect than anything else and comfort a close second.

Our riding style runs the gamut from 80+ MPH several hundred mile jaunts on the interstate to back roads, twistys and mountains. It's nothing for us to ride 500 miles in a day just for lunch or rack up 2 to 3000 miles over the course of a 5 or 6 day trip. At some point after retirement in a few years we plan on hitting the four corners of the US. Now that's a trip!

Now that I have given you some background about us, a few questions.

Given our riding style, my 49 years on 2 wheels and coming from a big touring bike, what are the pitfalls I may encounter? The lack of a front brake lever is going to be one!:lecturef_smilie:.....This is a non-issue ...there is no front -rear brake separation....they are all Hydraulic and are computer controlled to self balance at the same time ....They are also " ABS ".....and it really really works .....especially in the RAIN......:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

How is Can-Am about service and regular maintenance? I always take a new vehicle into the dealer for the first service, afterwards they never go back unless it's a warranty issue. I do all my own regular maintenance. (and that of several friends)... i'M LIKE YOU ( A WRENCHER )......and the new 1330 ACE engine and trans combo appears to be almost maintenance FREE, compared to the antique " 998 " .......

For anyone who has gone from a Harley to the Spyder, how does the maintenance compare? Things like oil changes, belt maintenance, tire mileage, electrical gremlins, etc? .....Tires on the 2014 RT's seem to be a sore spot....they are wearing out very fast compared to previous years ......BRP may be about to part company with KENDA ( they s*ck ).......

How about performance upgrades, what's available, how does it affect warranty? I can't seem to leave anything stock, my UC was stock long enough for me to ride it 80 miles from the dealer to home......​Because of the multiple computers and the fact that they cannot be altered or adjusted ......The only option is a TURBO CHARGER ( as far as I know ).......

Comfort upgrades? Grips, seats, floor boards, heel and toe shifters (I've been hooked on h&t shifter for years).....CAN BE HAD

Last (for now), what are some of the necessary options I should get when / if I decide to buy? If we buy, I know we will get the matching trailer with the bike......CAN GET A hITCH AND tRAILER

I hope to get a test ride scheduled soon. We have an excellent dealer, I just can't seem to get my work schedule in sync to setup a test.

Thanks again for any information anyone can provide. This isn't a decision I make lightly as I am still toying with the idea of throwing a Lehman trike kit on the UC.[/QU....AFTER THE SPYDER .....IF I HAD TO GO TO A CONVENTIONAL " TRIKE " I WOULD GIVE UP RIDING......NO B.S...........YOU HAVE TO TEST IT TO BELIEVE IT ..................AND YOU MUST DRIVE IT LIKE A CAR........IT IS NOT A MOTORCYCLE ...DOES NOT HANDLE LIKE A MOTORCYCLE .....AND WILLPUT YOU IN A DITCH IF YOU TRY TO DRIVE IT LIKE ONE .....NO B.S. ON THIS EITHER ..............ALSO STEER GENTLY...IT HAS POWER STEERING ................GOOD LUCK .....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:....Mikeguyver

PrairieSpyder
06-29-2014, 08:44 PM
I think others have addressed your questions better than I could, so I'll just say::welcome:

den1953
06-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I think since you'll have a clutch lever on the left handlebar you might also want a brake lever on the right one. Many who have gone from motorcycles to Spyders aren't comfortable not having a hand brake and install the ISCI kit. Just a suggestion.

rkicklighter
06-30-2014, 04:01 AM
A big thanks to all! You guys and girls are full of information and I am very grateful.

I may be making this move sooner than I thought! But, I have to get over a knee surgery that's coming soon and get a test ride scheduled. Maybe I can do that before the surgery.....

Thanks again!

Ricky

Supernam
06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Tell your wife you're buying the Spyder for her and keep the Harley for yourself, that way you can ride together and have more toys. That's what I did. :yes:

jerpinoy
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
:welcome: By this time you've read all nice comment and advice and now What is left is what are you waiting for. :yes::yes:

Lastly I must tell you I love my SE5.

rkicklighter
06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Tell your wife you're buying the Spyder for her and keep the Harley for yourself, that way you can ride together and have more toys. That's what I did. :yes:

I like your way of thinking!