PDA

View Full Version : Demo Model Warranty

losmandeals
06-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Hello all new 2012 Can am rs owner purchased on 6/17/2014 purchased from dealer in Mason Michigan. bike was a demo bike with 756 miles on it I have been riding it for a week now and noticed it was leaking brake fluid from the cap and called local dealer to bring it in. my local dealer informed me that the warranty on my bike expired on 11/02/2014 even though when I bought it less than 2 weeks ago the and the dealer i purchased it from said it came with a 3 year warranty.
So now I don't know what to do. does it take a while for brp to update my warranty info after purchase? or did the dealer rip me off?

http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/images/spyder/misc/progress.gif.pagespeed.ce.CBqFSRYWyj.gif

flaggerphil
06-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Is the dealer you bought it from and the dealer you want to service it the same or different? If it's the same it sounds like they're trying to rip you off.

losmandeals
06-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Is the dealer you bought it from and the dealer you want to service it the same or different? If it's the same it sounds like they're trying to rip you off.

They are Different Purchased in Mason Michigan And service in Toledo Ohio

cuznjohn
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
does the bill of sail say USED on it, because if it does i think your out of luck. it might just be the selling dealer that will carry the warranty on it. see if you can get his demo warranty transferred

robmorg
06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
My spyder was a demo that I bought last September. It been driven by the dealer's owner and he had put almost 1800 miles on it. They also thought that the demo miles counted against the warranty, and that I would not qualify for an extended warranty. I told them, "That CAN'T be right. Let's call Can-Am." So we did.

Can-Am said that if I was buying the bike from the dealer, and it had never been titled, then my warranty started from the day that I bought and titled it. Plus, Can-Am was having a promotion of a 2-year extended warranty in addition to the factory rebate. So I bought my Spyder with 1800 miles and 4 years warranty starting from the date of sale.

The dealer had to fill out some paperwork recording the beginning mileage for Can Am, so that my warranty would be correctly recorded. I'd suggest you call Can-Am customer service and get them to help you set the records straight. Also, they would know if the bike had been titled before. A demo does NOT get titled until the dealer sells it. You said it was a 2012 model. Maybe it wasn't really a demo and the selling dealer lied to you. (I hope that was not the case.) It could also be that the selling dealer just did not complete the proper paperwork for Can-Am.

What I found amazing, in my case, is that the dealer did not know the facts concerning the warranty up front. It certainly was not the first time they sold a Spyder demo. Maybe nobody ever questioned it before, but....???

Please keep us posted as to how you make out with this issue.

Chupaca
06-28-2014, 08:21 PM
get in touch with the original dealer. If they did not update the sale it will not appear on the computer. It comes with a two year warranty from date of sale from factory. If demo and reported you need that date to see if it out of warranty or if you can get an extended warranty. Then get in touch with brp have them resolve it you should be covered....:gaah:

Ex-Rocket
06-28-2014, 09:09 PM
I was told when I purchased my 2012 that I could purchase extended warranity at any time as long as the factory warranity was still in force. I purchesed the extended warranity the day I bought it. Mine was a model year left over after the 2013's were already out.

ARtraveler
06-28-2014, 09:18 PM
You need to check into this a little further. If dealer says this was new/demo model the information posted above should be right on.

If dealer sold you a demo and it was really a used machine, you may have some recourse with the dealer.

I would recommend talking with BRP on this one. Get your bill of sale and title together so you have all the pertinent paperwork.

A demo machine should come with new machine warranty.

Please keep us informed as to what additional transpires.

Spyder_Cowgirl
06-29-2014, 08:40 AM
You need to check into this a little further. .....

A demo machine should come with new machine warranty. ....

Definitely should still have PLENTY of warranty! As a matter of fact, it might even have MORE than just the original. Don't know if the following is standard policy when buying a demo spyder, but here is what happened when we bought our 2012 RT Limited. BRP extended the standard warranty 6 months from the time the bike was put into demo mode ...so the standard warranty was 2.5 years. Since the bike was put into demo mode in March 2012 and we purchased in August, we got a couple of extra months on our standard warranty and have since purchased a 3 year BEST extended warranty.

As recommended, get BRP involved in this one and be prepared with your paperwork. Hopefully this is an oversight on the part of the selling dealer and won't take much to get sorted out.

Best Regards .... Ann

Spyder4Tess
06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Start with contacting the selling dealer and see what they say.

Anything in your purchasing contract about warranty?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=losmandeals;833366]Hello all new 2012 Can am rs owner purchased on 6/17/2014 purchased from dealer in Mason Michigan. bike was a demo bike with 756 miles on it I have been riding it for a week now and noticed it was leaking brake fluid from the cap and called local dealer to bring it in. my local dealer informed me that the warranty on my bike expired on 11/02/2014 even though when I bought it less than 2 weeks ago the and the dealer i purchased it from said it came with a 3 year warranty.
So now I don't know what to do. does it take a while for brp to update my warranty info after purchase? or did the dealer rip me off?

http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/images/spyder/misc/progress.gif.pagespeed.ce.CBqFSRYWyj.gif
[/QUOT.....For a warranty to start the Spyder or any Vehicle for that matter has to legally be transferred from the dealer to an owner..........Warranties don't start untill the Mtc is sold .................Because if that were the case .....If a dealer took delivery of your 2014 Spyder in Sept of 2013 and didn't sell it to you until Aug. of 2014 ....then hypothetically 11 months of your warranty just dis-appeared ...............not ......Mikeguyver :thumbup:

losmandeals
07-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the info I talked to the dealer I purchased it from and BRP to make sure info was correct. Dealer inform me they had to update a few things since it was a demo bike and faxed the info to BRP and all info should be correct in 2 days. and I should receive some kind of card from BRP soon about warranty/Welcome Card. so we will see here soon but I can still take it in next week because it has a rattle sound when the Rpm's hit 4000

NZSpyderRyder
07-01-2014, 12:25 AM
6 months and still waiting.

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2014, 02:49 PM
The warranty card took a little while for me on this purchase. You get a letter with the card but the "welcome" packet is a separate thing and they usually only send them out quarterly. I haven't received mine yet from a late February purchase date.

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
My most recent purchase got me a warranty card and welcome packet within two weeks of my purchase. That was the quickest I have ever received the packet.

Usually two months or so.