PDA

View Full Version : Position sensor problem for 2012 transmissions all.

AZCowboy
06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
FYI

Position sensor problem for 2012 transmissions all.
I also had a Throttle body brain go as well not just 2012's.

Search SpyderTalk.com as well as SpyderLovers.com

Here is two of us in Fort Mohave, AZ & Golden Valley, AZ. My friend just had his RS go one with 9,000 miles in a 50+ mph dust storm in Page, AZ and a week after mine a RT with 29,000 miles in Lake Havasu, AZ & Golden Valley, AZ went. We both are waiting on BRP and want a up dated one.

bruiser
06-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Are you saying you had a gear position sensor and throttle body go bad at the same time? And are you saying the sensors are faulty on 2012 Spyders?

Chupaca
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM
have seen an increase in the gear position sensor problem not so much the throttle body. I have a 2012 RS with 20,000 miles and working fine. Most have been on the 08/09's. Sadly the problem now will be parts...:banghead:

AZCowboy
06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
First my throttle body brain went took two dealers to find it. My dealer in Lake Havasu City, AZ was the one that fixed it for me. That was just a little while ago now both mine (2012 RT Limited 29,000 miles) and a friend's (2012 SA 9,000 miles) went a week apart from each other. Checking around we are finding others that went also and are having problems getting the parts from BRP. A friend of mine had a 2010 which his throttle body brain went also and finding others out there that had the same problem with different years. My Spyder has spent months in the shop for 10 or more problems most of them major ones. BRP has done nothing about them after I contacted 5 top department heads at the main office in Canada. It seems they feel "You bought it now it's your problem". With all the problems they have had has anyone seen any recalls? They sent me a new gas cap for the left side of the unit when the gas fumes were coming out on the right side (now fixed by me). I live out in the middle of no where in the desert and now hate to leave home with it.

AZCowboy
06-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Are you saying you had a gear position sensor and throttle body go bad at the same time? And are you saying the sensors are faulty on 2012 Spyders?

It seems that way. Funny how two of us in the same area had the same problem with one a RS and the other a RT both use the same part. From the information I have gotten it seems that BRP has been aware of it. The same with the throttle body brain. I have lost 2 of the 5 so far wondering when the other 3 are going to go. I also wonder if the Throttle body & Position sensor to the transmission will have a relapse?

jcthorne
06-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Do you mean the throttle body went bad (common on some early models) or the ECM went bad (very rare)? There is no part called a throttle body brain. The throttle bodies that die are usually a result of the actuator motor dying or getting sticky to the point the ECM believes it cannot be controlled properly.

AZCowboy
06-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Do you mean the throttle body went bad (common on some early models) or the ECM went bad (very rare)? There is no part called a throttle body brain. The throttle bodies that die are usually a result of the actuator motor dying or getting sticky to the point the ECM believes it cannot be controlled properly.

Sorry we called it the brain much like a computer. It is the electrical unit on the side of the throttle body that controls the throttle body. It connects to the ECM. REJ :spyder2:

AZCowboy
06-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Talked to my dealer about what BRP is going to do about my Position sensor problem for 2012 transmissions all. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69290-Position-sensor-problem-for-2012-transmissions-all) They gave BRP my codes and it was sent to tech support of which they trying to figure out what to do. Now I have 28,000+ miles on it and this is the 3rd time I have had a problem with this two times in one day. Now my friend who has a 2012 RS with 9,000 miles on they don't know what they are going to do with his. This is also the 3rd time for him and it was each a different time plus went into the shop for it.
He has had 8 problems with his since he got it and I have had 10 so I think BRP needs to get their head out of their butts and do something right.:banghead:

Pennyrick
06-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Talked to my dealer about what BRP is going to do about my Position sensor problem for 2012 transmissions all. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69290-Position-sensor-problem-for-2012-transmissions-all) They gave BRP my codes and it was sent to tech support of which they trying to figure out what to do. Now I have 28,000+ miles on it and this is the 3rd time I have had a problem with this two times in one day. Now my friend who has a 2012 RS with 9,000 miles on they don't know what they are going to do with his. This is also the 3rd time for him and it was each a different time plus went into the shop for it.
He has had 8 problems with his since he got it and I have had 10 so I think BRP needs to get their head out of their butts and do something right.:banghead:

Both my RT and my wife's RT have had part number 420266168 Position Sensor replaced. Hers at 16,000 miles and mine at 19,066 and both were replaced under warranty (although mine was under the extended warranty since the original factory warranty had expired).

I don't know what else BRP can do other than that. If the dealer didn't diagnose the problem properly on the first several visits, I don't think that is a BRP problem.

AZCowboy
06-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Both my RT and my wife's RT have had part number 420266168 Position Sensor replaced. Hers at 16,000 miles and mine at 19,066 and both were replaced under warranty (although mine was under the extended warranty since the original factory warranty had expired).

I don't know what else BRP can do other than that. If the dealer didn't diagnose the problem properly on the first several visits, I don't think that is a BRP problem.

The dealer has given the codes and problem to BRP but can not do anything till they get the OK from BRP and that it can take a long time to get it. They know of the many problems but don't do recalls on them. They drag out each and everyone that comes along it seems. REJ:mad: I like my RT but am so sorry I bought it and have been telling and showing to people why they shouldn't buy one.

jcthorne
06-28-2014, 07:18 PM
The dealer has given the codes and problem to BRP but can not do anything till they get the OK from BRP and that it can take a long time to get it. They know of the many problems but don't do recalls on them. They drag out each and everyone that comes along it seems. REJ:mad: I like my RT but am so sorry I bought it and have been telling and showing to people why they shouldn't buy one.

Are you still within the factory warranty? Warranty repair authorizations usually happen same day if its known whats broke.

Pennyrick
06-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Recalls are done on safety issues. This is far from a safety issue. Why not just use your warranty or if it is expired, your extended warranty. if you don't have an extended warranty.... I guess that it is going to cost you $$$..

I question why the dealer is holding this up. Tell the dealer to replace the part, pay for it and then seek reimbursement for it later so you can get back on the road.

Sorry you are unhappy but to me that doesn't seem to be a valid reason to tell people not to buy BRP products.

AZCowboy
06-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Are you still within the factory warranty? Warranty repair authorizations usually happen same day if its known whats broke.

I just went onto my extended warranty but my friend is still under factory warranty. Under factory warranty with all the problems non have gotten through BRP in less 10 days to 2 weeks. They are trying to brush off my friend saying it is just a one time thing when in fact it is the 3rd time and they are on record through the dealers. REJ:banghead:

Bob Denman
06-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong... :opps:
Your friend's 2012 RS needs to have it's throttle bodies replaced; just like your RT?? :dontknow:

They are completely dis=similar systems; his has a throttle cable, and yours is throttle by wire...