PDA

View Full Version : spyder collectibility?

Paingod
09-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a chance to buy one of the 1st 50 premere edition spyders?
(200 miles). the seller keeps touting the "collectibility" of this LOW # spyder. I was holding out for the SE5 but I am really considering this SM5.

Does anyone buy this collectibility story?????

Zerocool
09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a chance to buy one of the 1st 50 premere edition spyders?
(200 miles). the seller keeps touting the "collectibility" of this LOW # spyder. I was holding out for the SE5 but I am really considering this SM5.

Does anyone buy this collectibility story?????

First, are you going to ride it? Or store it in a controlled environment?

If the latter, as with most numbered collectibles, #1 is the one you'd want - so, you'll need to barter with Jay Leno :D

I wouldn't pay a premium for it based on collectibility.

This is personal opinion only... I'm NOT a certified collector, assessor, etc.

Lamonster
09-18-2008, 07:09 PM
:agree:

Buy what you want and ride it till the wheels fall off.:doorag:

bjt
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't pay a premium for it based on collectibility.

This is personal opinion only... I'm NOT a certified collector, assessor, etc.

:agree: Unless you are going to hold onto it and keep it safely stored, I wouldn't pay a premium for it. They do seem to be holding their value somewhat. Checking eBay and the forums For Sale threads should give you an idea of the going rate for a used Spyder.

jeuchler
09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
:agree: Unless you are going to hold onto it and keep it safely stored, I wouldn't pay a premium for it. They do seem to be holding their value somewhat. Checking eBay and the forums For Sale threads should give you an idea of the going rate for a used Spyder.
:agree::agree:

Think of us PE owners as just "early adopters." I doubt that too many folks who are members here would consider themselves collectors. I know a few folks own two Spyders, and/or many other bikes, but they also r i d e them (and ride them and ride them...)

We wouldn't wait for BRP to get all the kinks out, so we bought the Spyder right away, sight-unseen or ride-unridden. Then, of course, we argued for weeks about what the number 2,500 meant....while we tore off body panels and started added accessories (home-made and otherwise) to our precious collectors items to make them more comfortable, more interesting, faster---to r i d e.

So, try to buy the Spyder for 16 grand or less, rip off the PE panel, put it in a nice frame, and try to sell that on eBay for $50. :joke:

Seriously... it's the ride.:thumbup:

boogllasti
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
:agree: with everyone else on this. The Spyder PE numbering turned into a fiasco anyway.

It really doesn't have any more value than #2477 in my opinion.

Now, that being said - I DO think that something in the range of #01 - #05 could be worth slightly more - in particular #1 - but we all know who got that one.

I know of someone that buys first run motorcycles as collectibles. He bought a PE Spyder (I forget the number) and had the dealer deliver it IN THE CRATE - which he never opens.

That's right - there is a PE Spyder in a Crate - no prep on it, nothing. This is how the guy likes to collect things.

Buying one and storing it like that would obviously increase the long-term value.

If it's worth so much more - why isn't the seller keeping it longer?

ima rider
09-18-2008, 11:35 PM
:agree:

Buy what you want and ride it till the wheels fall off.:doorag:
AMEN Lamont....well put:bowdown: