PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers and Amp are Awsome!

bluestratos
06-26-2014, 09:54 AM
I am posting this under 1330 ACE because I am not sure a 990 has enough alternator to allow for the draw of this amp. I installed the amp in the same spot that the XM Radio would go. It is a 300 watt Rockford Fosgate coupled to the Polk Audio speakers rated at 50 RMS.

I first mounted a 5" x 7" x 1/4" aluminum plated to the holes already there for the XM. This acts not only as a mount for the amp but works as a heat sink as well as these amps get hot when played loud. The amp mounts to the plate via holes that I tapped into the plate. I rand #8 power from a fuse at the battery to a high power quick disconnect then to the speaker. I ran the negative like wise but it terminates to a distribution block to allow for future projects.

The rest was just basic amp wiring but every speaker has a quick disconnect so the individual modules of the bike can be removed without hassles.

While not all button up yet I was able to test it last night in my garage and WOW! I deafening loud now and much better sound quality. To set the gains I had to play it loud for a few tests but my wife came out and told me it was so loud inside the house she could not stand it and to turn it down! Lol...
The amp draws up to 40 amps so it is protected by a 50 amp fuse which explains how much power this thing puts out in such a small foot print. I may add a small fan but for now I will see how well my heat sink works. The amp will shut down it gets too hot. It is not marine rated but it I can shield the bottom from road spray quite easily. The top may just get a simple bit of duct tape to keep the dust off.

Grandpa Pete
06-26-2014, 10:14 AM
That is slick. Keep us informed on the heat soak. I'm interested in doing an amp install this winter. Looks very nice where it's mounted. :clap::thumbup:.

Grandpa Pete

2012 RTS-SE5

wis2013rtltd
06-26-2014, 11:16 AM
I am posting this under 1330 ACE because I am not sure a 990 has enough alternator to allow for the draw of this amp. I installed the amp in the same spot that the XM Radio would go. It is a 300 watt Rockford Fosgate coupled to the Polk Audio speakers rated at 50 RMS.

I first mounted a 5" x 7" x 1/4" aluminum plated to the holes already there for the XM. This acts not only as a mount for the amp but works as a heat sink as well as these amps get hot when played loud. The amp mounts to the plate via holes that I tapped into the plate. I rand #8 power from a fuse at the battery to a high power quick disconnect then to the speaker. I ran the negative like wise but it terminates to a distribution block to allow for future projects.

The rest was just basic amp wiring but every speaker has a quick disconnect so the individual modules of the bike can be removed without hassles.

While not all button up yet I was able to test it last night in my garage and WOW! I deafening loud now and much better sound quality. To set the gains I had to play it loud for a few tests but my wife came out and told me it was so loud inside the house she could not stand it and to turn it down! Lol...
The amp draws up to 40 amps so it is protected by a 50 amp fuse which explains how much power this thing puts out in such a small foot print. I may add a small fan but for now I will see how well my heat sink works. The amp will shut down it gets too hot. It is not marine rated but it I can shield the bottom from road spray quite easily. The top may just get a simple bit of duct tape to keep the dust off.

model numbers for the AMP and speakers please. Also, are the speakers marine, and are they direct fit?-Thanks!

Bob Denman
06-26-2014, 11:40 AM
That's a stout setup! :clap: :firstplace: :2thumbs:
Is there any way that you can post a video of it in action? :thumbup:

bluestratos
06-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Speakers, Polk Audio DB521 5.25-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver) Polk Audio DB401 4-Inch Pair Coaxial Speakers - SilverRockford The amp is a Fosgate PBR300X4 (http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pbr300x4)

model numbers for the AMP and speakers please. Also, are the speakers marine, and are they direct fit?-Thanks!

bluestratos
06-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I still do not know how to do a video but I am attaching some more pictures. I am wrapping up the project tonight, yesterday I put heat sink paste between the amp and the aluminum plate and added a small fan that blows air behind the amp and up wards to encourage convection cooling. I ran the amp at near max volumn for 10 minutes and the sink doing its job, it runs hot but not so hot as to worry about failure. Under regular volumns it runs just warm.

I also added a plastic deflector shield to protect the bottom of the amp from road dust and rain as can be seen in the pictures. I have a Gorilla alarm in this same spot for years on my last and current RT and no issues for wetness but they get dusty.

This is the same amp that Harleys use to pump out the tunes which I just now found out. If I could add a subwoofer it would really make for great tunes but they have to be in an enclosure and they take up too much space.

bluestratos
06-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Well all done but I did have to move the amp slightly further to the left to allow for the side panel to mount. Now I need a good recording of revving engine so I can play it at intersections.

bluestratos
06-28-2014, 09:23 AM
The heat soak is working great, going to give a better try today so I will let you know.

M109Dreamer
06-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Really nice set up. I wish I had those electrical abilities.

jtoro1
06-28-2014, 11:46 AM
The heat soak is working great, going to give a better try today so I will let you know.

Can you tell us where to spice the wires from the radio and do our bikes have 4 separate channels my bike has 4 speakers or is it 2 channels with 4 speakers

bluestratos
06-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Really not that hard, I am self taught. I had a saying when I first learned I could do anything I put my mind to...."If they can build it, I can fix it, lol.. Mostly reverse engineering and lots of library time, lol.

Really nice set up. I wish I had those electrical abilities.

bluestratos
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Can you tell us where to spice the wires from the radio and do our bikes have 4 separate channels my bike has 4 speakers or is it 2 channels with 4 speakers

The simplest way is to pick up from the wires that came off the speakers using male spade connectors that match the female terminal. I used clear heat shrink wrap to insulate them. The wiring to the speakers is industry standard color coded for 4 speakers but they have no balance control, just fade. I changed the speakers out than brought the wires from the old speaker to the amp then back out and connected the amplified (16 gauge) wires to the speakers. Be sure to run clean power from the batter to the amp to prevent all kinds of problems. There will be 16 speaker wires, one hot, one negative and one accessory wire for power. My set up took about 5 3 hour days from start to finish. If I had started on a weekend it would have taken 2 days

M109Dreamer
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Really not that hard, I am self taught. I had a saying when I first learned I could do anything I put my mind to...."If they can build it, I can fix it, lol.. Mostly reverse engineering and lots of library time, lol.
I wish I could do this to the wifes Spyder. Its that unseen electrical stuff I have a hard time grasping. The mechanical is much easier for myself.

bluestratos
07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
I discovered that I was getting feed back in the speakers when I key the CB mike but I replaced my CB antenna with a fire stick and it went away on my ride yesterday. I still have to set the SWR on the antenna but I think the problem was with the J&M antenna, the wound core wire pulled out when I removed the cap during the speaker install which must have really messed with the SWR. More time will tell I guess. Meanwhile, really enjoy the amp. It was 90 yesterday and I took a 2 hour ride with no overheat problems so between the amp and the heat sink it is a great setup.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Would you tell us how much this set-up would cost ......parts , not labor .....Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

bluestratos
07-03-2014, 02:34 PM
speakers and amp about $400, you can buy the amp cheaper on amazon than what I paid for but I needed to purchase it from a local supplier so I could get some tech advise.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-04-2014, 06:46 AM
speakers and amp about $400, you can buy the amp cheaper on amazon than what I paid for but I needed to purchase it from a local supplier so I could get some tech advise.
THANKS.....................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-04-2014, 08:10 AM
MikeGuyver, How are your speakers holding up? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-06-2014, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;836224]MikeGuyver, How are your speakers holding up? :dontknow:[/QUOT.............No Problems, but I didn't expect any.........PS I just discovered that the J & M speakers ( also highly rated and 2.8 OHMS )......They are are $ 90 more tho for all four + shipping....Mikeguyver

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 07:29 AM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear that your bike is still "Rockin' Down the Highway!" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHJaqe12BIc