PDA

View Full Version : Communications System

Commander
06-26-2014, 09:06 AM
I know I am asking a lot of questions about the communications system, but I want to get it right.

I was told by the dealer that If I bought just the Sena headsets (in the 2014 Catalog part # 447715) that I would be able to talk to 4 people, use a iPod and GPS. Is that true or do I need the dongle also?

Just trying to spread out the $$ a little and plan on getting the dongle in a month or so.

Chupaca
06-26-2014, 09:32 AM
we use the Scala G9's which have FM radio, mp3, GPS, intercom and can connect to 8 other ryders. If you have a ryding group you should see what they are using so as to have no trouble hooking up with them. I believe the dongle adds other features from the roadster...check with our sponsor who sells sena and maybe get a better deal than brp...:thumbup:

Red RT-S
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
I have the Scala G4 headsets which is what I believe your dealer is talking about. I have not been happy with them. I find that the VOX bluetooth connection is very slow. If I start talking to my wife through the headset it takes about 5-6 seconds to make the connection so we can actually have a conversation. Also, the Scala units do not communicate with all GPS units. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 and the GPS voice directions do not come through the Scala headset. I believe, however, that the Scala will communicate with Garmin Zumo units.

ottawa-rider
06-26-2014, 10:34 AM
If you get the Sena SMH10 headset as sold by BRP, you'll be able to talk to 3 other users of it, take phone call and get direction from a Bluetooth enabled GPS.

The dongle (Sena SM10) allows the Spyder's radio to come thru the headset also.

bullant12
06-26-2014, 10:35 AM
I have the Scala G4 headsets which is what I believe your dealer is talking about. I have not been happy with them. I find that the VOX bluetooth connection is very slow. If I start talking to my wife through the headset it takes about 5-6 seconds to make the connection so we can actually have a conversation. Also, the Scala units do not communicate with all GPS units. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 and the GPS voice directions do not come through the Scala headset. I believe, however, that the Scala will communicate with Garmin Zumo units.

Scala is a different brand. BRP re-brands the Sena units.

Commander
06-26-2014, 11:23 AM
If you get the Sena SMH10 headset as sold by BRP, you'll be able to talk to 3 other users of it, take phone call and get direction from a Bluetooth enabled GPS.

The dongle (Sena SM10) allows the Spyder's radio to come thru the headset also.
"so if I purchased the Sena SM10 through one of the spyder lovers vendors the only thing I would be missing would be the radio, and if I had iphone I would be able to listen to pandora or download any other music i wanted?"

Commander
06-26-2014, 11:35 AM
"so if I purchased the Sena SM10 through one of the spyder lovers vendors the only thing I would be missing would be the radio, and if I had iphone I would be able to listen to pandora or download any other music i wanted?" Correction SMH10 headsets

finless
06-26-2014, 11:37 AM
If your at all capable of basic soldering, you can make your own Sena SM10 media streamer cable to get your radio through your headsets too!

This post explains how to do it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

Bob

ottawa-rider
06-26-2014, 01:26 PM
"so if I purchased the Sena SM10 through one of the spyder lovers vendors the only thing I would be missing would be the radio, and if I had iphone I would be able to listen to pandora or download any other music i wanted?"

Correction SMH10 headsets

Correct, at least probably. I do not listen to music on my phone plus it is an Android, therefore, there may be some differences.

Larry rt
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
You can use any sema10 headset , blue tooth to your phone , iPhone or android .listen to music or gps.
You can activate VOX on sena , by hooking up to computer and select options a nd activate. I do not use VOX, because of high wind noise will also activate voice. If I want to talk. You just tap the mob and you can talk , tap it again to listen to music. You can also receive and make calls.yes you can talk to 3 other people

Marker
06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
I would not buy the rebranded SENA SMH10 headsets too expensive for the BRP logo . Sena has just released a new headset 20S .It looks awesome

Motorcycle Dave sells them he is vendor on this forum http://www.motorcycledave.com/sena-headsets.:firstplace:

BikerDoc
06-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I recommend you stay away from the dongle.. that has been a nightmare for so many folks that i know

Commander
06-27-2014, 08:15 AM
I would not buy the rebranded SENA SMH10 headsets too expensive for the BRP logo . Sena has just released a new headset 20S .It looks awesome

Motorcycle Dave sells them he is vendor on this forum http://www.motorcycledave.com/sena-headsets.:firstplace:
I spoke with Dave and he was very helpful. I will probably go with him and just get an ipod with the FM radio to hook up with the headsets.

Commander
06-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Has anyone used the Ipod nano for the FM radio with the Sena head sets?

FlaBound
06-27-2014, 02:15 PM
I recommend you stay away from the dongle.. that has been a nightmare for so many folks that i know

One more vote against the dongle. Not enough "bang for the buck", and didn't preform as I expected.
Dealer was kind enough to remove it, and give me a full refund.
Ride with a Neotech Modular, and disliked a boom mic so much, we went with the new UClear 200 dual pack.
Does what I need it to do, and I'm happy with them.