PDA

View Full Version : Sena SMH10R, any way to attach a 2nd battery?

jcthorne
06-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Wife and I have Sena SMH-10R headsets and for the most part are very happy with them. Other than the length of time they work. They will not run for a full day ride. Even if we charge them while stopped for lunch. We use them for intercom mostly and they only last for about 4 to 5 hours before the low battery alarm.

What I am looking for is a way to attach a second SENA battery pack. They sell the battery but cannot find a wye connector to allow me to install both batteries. I would rather not carry a second battery only to have to stop and change it out during the day. Besides, the current battery is attached to the helmets with 3m double sided mounting tape as directed in the sena instructions so removing it without damage to the battery or the helmet is not assured nor is there an easy replace mounting bracket for the battery.

Anyone know where I can get the connectors that SENA uses for the battery (funny little two pin connector) so I can build a wye cable?

Motorcycledave
06-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi Dave here,
The SMH10R is a much smaller unit than the SMH10-10 or SMH10-11 so the battery
is also smaller / less battery life is to be expected. the SMH10R is marketed toward
the sports motorcycle market the crotch rocket guys do not as a rule ride all day because
they are not comfortable, you are all bent over while riding.
I know they look cool and work great but the battery life is short, I would have pointed out
that to my customer before they bought them and offered a more suited product to their needs.
With all that being said I would recommend you go to www.senabluetooth.com and click
on the tech. dept. question and answer button and see if they have any help for you
regarding battery life.
I hope this is of help to you
Ride Safe
Dave

Wife and I have Sena SMH-10R headsets and for the most part are very happy with them. Other than the length of time they work. They will not run for a full day ride. Even if we charge them while stopped for lunch. We use them for intercom mostly and they only last for about 4 to 5 hours before the low battery alarm.

What I am looking for is a way to attach a second SENA battery pack. They sell the battery but cannot find a wye connector to allow me to install both batteries. I would rather not carry a second battery only to have to stop and change it out during the day. Besides, the current battery is attached to the helmets with 3m double sided mounting tape as directed in the sena instructions so removing it without damage to the battery or the helmet is not assured nor is there an easy replace mounting bracket for the battery.

Anyone know where I can get the connectors that SENA uses for the battery (funny little two pin connector) so I can build a wye cable?

Phil
06-26-2014, 12:07 AM
I agree with Dave's answer. I have 4 of the SMH10 units on various helmets and we get an average of 14-15 hours on a charge. Most of that, for me, is listening to tunes and the Google navi lady from my phone at almost full blast. Add in the occasional intercom chat with my bride.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD

jcthorne
06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Well not really interested in trashing $300 worth of nearly new headsets. Besides, i did ask sena about the difference between the 10 and 10r and they assured me the specs were the same except for the form factor, the 10r being thinner with a seperate battery module.

Perhaps someone knows where i can get th commector to build a wye cable to connect a second battery?

jcthorne
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
I agree with Dave's answer. I have 4 of the SMH10 units on various helmets and we get an average of 14-15 hours on a charge. Most of that, for me, is listening to tunes and the Google navi lady from my phone at almost full blast. Add in the occasional intercom chat with my bride.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD

Just chatted with a tech at Sena. He confirmed that the battery shipped with the 10r is exactly the same capacity as that in the built in battery of the SMH-10. In fact Sena RECOMMENDS the 10r for extended use over the 10 due to the external replaceable battery. His recommendation for out use is to get a second 10r battery pack for each head set that comes with a charging adapter that plugs in to the same charging adapter as the helmet, one battery charges while the other is in use. The second battery kit also comes with velcro attachment for the battery pack for easy change out. I still have the problem with the 3m mounting tape holding my current batteries but they had no answer for that. I suggested that they should have covered this in the installation instructions rather than applying the mounting tape. Hmm, guess I need to find a way to remove the current battery pack, fishing line works on vehicle logos that use this tape so maybe.

Still would rather have 2 batteries on the back of the helmet and double the range. Was told the connectors are not sold separately.

The reason yours lasts 14 hrs and mine do not is usage. We are using the intercom continuously and it use 4 to 10 times the power (depends on range) of the bluetooth connection according to SENA. 4 to 5 hours is all that can be expected in continuous intercom use.

DrewNJ
06-26-2014, 04:17 PM
My 10R units last all day easily, but like you said it's the intercom that kills it, and I don't keep the intercom on all the time. I really don't think they are designed for the intercom to stay active all the time.
I think I'd look at adjusting how you use them. It's pretty easy to hit the button, chat up what you want to say, then hit the button and shut the intercom down.
This also allows you to return back to your music or enjoy the silence...

jcthorne
06-26-2014, 09:34 PM
My 10R units last all day easily, but like you said it's the intercom that kills it, and I don't keep the intercom on all the time. I really don't think they are designed for the intercom to stay active all the time.
I think I'd look at adjusting how you use them. It's pretty easy to hit the button, chat up what you want to say, then hit the button and shut the intercom down.
This also allows you to return back to your music or enjoy the silence...

I have never found a way to adjust how much Louise wants to say to me......:rolleyes:

Will be much easier to adjust the quantity of battery capacity available.

DrewNJ
06-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Haha....understood..