PDA

View Full Version : RT Antenna

RockyMountainRider50
06-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Posted a short video on youtube (Can Am Spyder RT antenna replacment) depicting how to replace the stock antenna with the antenna often mentioned in other treads. Still figuring out how to get it on here. Hope it helps those that are looking to complete this DIY repair.

bcoulter19
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Your link doesn't go anywhere.

MouthPiece
06-26-2014, 02:06 PM
THANK YOU so much for posting this video. I have read numerous descriptions on how to do this on the forum, but have never attempted. I'm what you would call an idiot (in more ways than one) when it comes to mechanical things. You really made it easy for me to understand and will attempt.

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKpyQ2-rdk

Michiganspyderman
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Posted a short video on youtube (Can Am Spyder RT antenna replacment) depicting how to replace the stock antenna with the antenna often mentioned in other treads. Still figuring out how to get it on here. Hope it helps those that are looking to complete this DIY repair.

Outstanding video. Great before and after with all the steps required. Can't ask for more!

Michiganspyderman
06-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Let us know how the reception is with the new shorty antenna please. I've heard both good and bad, mostly good.

sledhead
06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
I did this exact process last weekend with the exact antenna purchased from Walmart.
Way simple as the video showed (Although I installed mine slightly different).
Hardest part for me was to get the old antenna out. I had to use 2 vice grips to get mine loose and it still put up a heck of a fight.
Checked the reception and it was at least as good as the old antenna if not better.
Plus I like the look better.
Easy AND cheap mod.:thumbup:

IceCube
06-30-2014, 08:17 AM
What is the Part Number at Wal-Mart? Guess I will go take a look. Great Video!!!!
From the Video I can tell you really love the Spyder. My wife has a 2012 and has the same problem. I will get it it fixed. She just turned 34000 miles.
I think the base gets weak from moving in the wind and then breaks at the base.:thumbup:

IceCube
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
did not need the part number. thanks to the info here I walked right up to it. thanks so much.

RustyCan
07-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the video. It may the install for the Walmart antenna easier. One other thing I did was bore out the OEM boot so the boot fit over Walmart antenna base.

AbNormy
07-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Mine broke doing the same thing on way back from OE in Maggie Valley. Argh!

mikes351
08-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time to make this video, we appreciate it!

mikes351
08-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Thank you so much for the video! It took more time to unwrap the new antenna and enlarge the boot hole than to install all thanks to your video! I do appreciate your video and our shorty antenna has great reception, so far.

Hines
08-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Went to the dealer and they wanted $60.00 for a new whip, watched the video ran to Walmart install about 10 min and good to go. Thanks for the post!

BigLefty
09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I tried to use "needle-nosed" vice grips to remove the old whip----to tight, due to factory use of lock-tite. I cut the plastic tip from the old whip in order to slide a 7mm deep socket down the whip and on to the base. Then used a larger "standard" vise grip to turn the socket. Worked great!

Hope this helps any that try this in the future.