PDA

View Full Version : st quit shifting

govner
06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
i took my spyder in for its first service. tomorrow will be 3 weeks. i have called a few times on updates but today they tell me they done the service the updates and recalls but now it wont shift... at all. so they got to order a special tool to get it open and see what the problem is. i know the 13 st had a few issues but i didnt see this coming now im sad there is nothing to fill this hole, this void in my life cept maybe chocolate :bbq:

also and the reason for the edit. but i dont lug the motor. im no speed demon but i had done a bit of research about the spyder and i knew from the start about rpm shift points

SNOOPY
06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Very interested in knowing what exactly they find. :(

Chupaca
06-24-2014, 09:32 PM
is it an Se5 or an Sm5..?? Seems extreemly odd that it will not shift at all. Gotta ask..did they put oil back in it..?? Three weeks for first service scares me to start with. Sorry to hear..good luck..!! How can they be a dealer and not have the tools...:dontknow:

govner
06-24-2014, 09:38 PM
se5 sorry but yeah 3 weeks was odd. they went to a school/class the first week then i was told as soon as a rack opened up they would get to it now not shifting. the tool thing yeah. i dont know either seems like they would have the appropriate tools since its not the newest thing on the market. they have a very good reputation by most ppl so i am conflicted

Flamewinger
06-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Most of the shifting problems are due to low oil. When checking per the manual, you should have some oil on the dipstick, if not then it's at least a half qt low and can cause shifting problems.

flamingobabe
06-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Low oil could be the problem....but have them replace your clutch...the 13's have warpped clutch plates

Chupaca
06-25-2014, 12:28 AM
worked for dealerships and we went to update seminars, new model seminars we always had the latest tools needed to work on the new models. So I find it strange that they would be dealers without have all the tools nessesary to work on the roadsters. First services were always handled one day to the next. But I don't know this dealer or how well he is staffed. Do hope they get you going soon...:thumbup:

SNOOPY
06-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Low oil could be the problem....but have them replace your clutch...the 13's have warpped clutch plates

:hun:

govner
06-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah I just took it in for its first oil change. Took them 3 werks to get to it now it has the shifting problem and no tool to work on it. Its the only dealer/mechanic. For quite a distance. Due to work I wasnt able to go up there. But I will be today. There is a ecm update or recall ? Could that be part of the problem. I hoping they just didnt forget to add oil before they rode it down the street.

Bob Denman
06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
I hate to ask this one :opps:...
Could the shift linkage simply have worked itself loose?
We hear of this often enough... Not knowing your dealer; they may have simply not looked at the simplist possiblility... :shocked:

govner
06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
So im sitting at the dealership parking lot no happier now than when I arrived. Apparently after the update was done the air pressure that is used to shift is not working. They got it to shift now but its very weak. They had to order a tool ...... shipped from Canada no news of when it will arive "we are still waiting" he says. But the tool will measure the air pressure. Says its not clutch packs no metals in the oil just the actuator that is used to shift low air pressure.
Most ppl praise this place. Ive herd of very little bad from anyone. So I will assume they are not doing me wrong. I just bought it new 3 months ago and one of those its been in the shop . Missing prime riding weather

Bob Denman
06-25-2014, 04:38 PM
AIR pressure?? :shocked:
Unless I'm completetely off-base with my line of thinking (NOT entirely impossible!), the SE-5 transmission is triggered electronically...

govner
06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I think they are lurking in the forums haha:shocked: they just called my spyder will be ready tomorrow. It will be slowish going into first from neutral but everything else is fine. When the part arrives I can bring it back to be fixed. But he is unsure when the part will arrive so no sence in it sitting at the shop.
And sbout the electronic part he said the ecm ? Ecu ? Update might be what triggered the issue.

Bob Denman
06-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear that you're making progress! :thumbup:
Let us know how it runs...

ottawa-rider
06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
AIR pressure?? :shocked:
Unless I'm completetely off-base with my line of thinking (NOT entirely impossible!), the SE-5 transmission is triggered electronically...

Electronically yes, but as far as I know it uses hydraulic pressure from the engine oil to move the shift linkage, not air pressure.

Bob Denman
06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
That's why I used the word, "triggered"... :D
I was only about 97.24% sure that if there was any air in the system; it was a mistake! :shocked:

Highwayman2013
06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Make sure YOU check the oil when you get it back, just to be sure.....

Bob Denman
06-26-2014, 04:53 PM
:agree: Particularly if they think that the shifting is handled by compressed air! :shocked:

govner
06-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Picked the spyder up. not fixed. Once it has warmed up it has a hard time shifting from neutral to first I found a little throttle bumps it in there. Guy said its supposed to have 140 psi to shift its at approximately 75. I asked him if therecwas a vacuum line or something. Said no not like that. But something makes me believe he is as confused as me. Just figured if I never let off the throttle I wont notice the problem lol. Was nice to be back on the road oh how I have missed thee:ohyea::doorag:

SNOOPY
06-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Picked the spyder up. not fixed. Once it has warmed up it has a hard time shifting from neutral to first I found a little throttle bumps it in there. Guy said its supposed to have 140 psi to shift its at approximately 75. I asked him if therecwas a vacuum line or something. Said no not like that. But something makes me believe he is as confused as me. Just figured if I never let off the throttle I wont notice the problem lol. Was nice to be back on the road oh how I have missed thee:ohyea::doorag:

I would guess continuing to use it as is may mess up something else?

Perhaps it needs the hydraulic shifting mechanism replaced?