PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake wont release

spydernatic
06-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Decided to take my2012 RT in for its 9000 mile service yesterday have not been riding for about a month now due to surgery and weather. Started up fine.... when I hit the parking brake switch nothing happened tried again nothing. Turned the RT off got underneath to check out whats going on, the pads were were locked on the rotor as the should with the park brake on, tapped on them lightly to see if that would help it did not. I tried again but the park brake would not release, oh this has happened to me before and I did get it to release and took it to the dealer to be checked and they said everything looked good, and it has never happened again.
I tried for about and hour put it in 1st gear tried to go could not I tied to do the same in reverse it was locked solid. I called the dealership and they told me I need to get the RT towed in to them. I called AAA (happy that I have motorcycle coverage) and AAA called a special tow truck to get my RT. It is at the dealership and I am waiting to hear what is the problem, unfortunately dealer is backed up and told me it could take as long as 2 to 3 weeks

:(

3 Wheel Addict
06-24-2014, 03:32 PM
This happened to me twice on my 13 RTS but the dealer could never find anything wrong. Both times I disconnected the cable at the rear to free up the wheel and after the tension was released it worked fine again???

900Dave
06-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Some of these wait times I am hearing on this site about different dealers is unbelievable! This is just absolutely poor customer service. If the bike would be rideable and you need to make an appointment to get some service done 2 to 3 week wait may be resonable but when you are broke down and unable to ride you should move to the front of the line. This might take the dealer an hour to fix and you have to wait 2 weeks or more just for them to look at it:banghead:. Go find another dealer.

spydernatic
06-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Thank you for telling me that could you explain a bit more in detail on how you released the cable as I would like to be able to do it if this ever happens again to me.

spydernatic
06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Dave I agree fully with you and the dealership I am dealing with is where I bought my RT they have had a complete change of people in the service department. I spoke to the new service advisor in the service department when I got there about how I need the RT as I am going on a trip in a couple of weeks and have booked and paid for everything and he told me ...."well we are fully booked up and he does not think they will manage to have my RT ready by then" He cant promise me anything, so I asked who is in charge and I was introduced to the lady in charge I asked about my situation and asked her to explain why they will not check my RT out asap and then order the parts if required and then could fit them when they come in, she explained that BRP will not let the keep parts on their shelf and it has to be put in as a warranty order and then they will send the parts out still 2 to 3 weeks but she did say she would try to get my RT done by my deadline. WE WILL SEE The next nearest dealer is a good 50 miles away and I am thinking of paying them a visit to see what kind of turn around time they would have on a situation like mine so I can then decide next time if it is worth driving out there as I dont mind leaving the RT with them for a week, basically drop it off on a Saturday and pick it up on the next Saturday.

Chupaca
06-24-2014, 04:39 PM
they're not backed up...they are closed..!! This is what gives them a bad name. Adjusting or cleaning the parking brake system could be squeezed in anywhere. Mentioned in an earlier post..don't leave it if they don't have the parts or the time. They will pull it apart and park it and you are unable to move to another dealer or shop.
If the rear system is like the RS the cable coming to the brake caliper goes through a braket with a nut on either side. Loosen them and pull the cable up and out to release the tension on the brake. This is aldo where you can make minor adjustments to the park brake if it is not holding...:thumbup:

900Dave
06-24-2014, 04:43 PM
I truly do not believe the what that service manager told you. She was lying and making excuses in my opinion. I have heard of dealers bending over backwards and robbing parts off of new or used inventory to satisfy a customer and get them on there way.
Good Luck and I hope you get your Rt back in time.

Gordy
06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
to release parking brake loosen one of the jam nuts on the cable at the rear caliper and push up, cable will come out of bracket and release brake My brake applied by itself and I had to release it on the road