PDA

View Full Version : Cat is deleated

bgame
06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Took the cat off and got rid of some heat. Sound good just a little more throaty but not any louder driving at 70mph. Little louder at lower speeds like at 20 to 30 mph but not much. Also the cat must have weighted 20 lbs.... lost that weight. Seems a little more responsive. Lamonter... thanks... good quality produce no problems on the install except the top spring did arouse my competitive spirit there for a while.

Biggdogg22
06-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Took the cat off and got rid of some heat. Sound good just a little more throaty but not any louder driving at 70mph. Little louder at lower speeds like at 20 to 30 mph but not much. Also the cat must have weighted 20 lbs.... lost that weight. Seems a little more responsive. Lamonter... thanks... good quality produce no problems on the install except the top spring did arouse my competitive spirit there for a while.Where did you get the CAT replacement from? Did you order online or did have to order by phone with PitBull?

Thanks

Chupaca
06-24-2014, 09:44 AM
should help out quite a bit. Good to know there is little change in sound for those who prefer the quite...:2thumbs::ohyea:

bgame
06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Where did you get the CAT replacement from? Did you order online or did have to order by phone with PitBull?

Thanks

Emailed Lamonter and did a paypal with him......http://lamonstergarage.com/

Benggolf
06-24-2014, 05:09 PM
What happens when you install the CAT removal/bypass and an Akropovic muffler?
Will this lean out the fuel mixture and necessitate a power commander or similar mod?
TIA for filling me in on this.

Emailed Lamonster and now waiting for is reply.

bgame
06-25-2014, 09:19 AM
What happens when you install the CAT removal/bypass and an Akropovic muffler?
Will this lean out the fuel mixture and necessitate a power commander or similar mod?
TIA for filling me in on this.

Emailed Lamonster and now waiting for is reply.

I still have the factory muffler and will keep it... Don't like it loud... Don't really know about the fuel mixture... but it runs fine.

Benggolf
06-25-2014, 09:57 AM
I still have the factory muffler and will keep it... Don't like it loud... Don't really know about the fuel mixture... but it runs fine.

Thanks for the reply. I might just keep the OEM muffler and install the Cat by-pass just like you did.
I find that loud mufflers wear you down on long road trips.

bgame
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I might just keep the OEM muffler and install the Cat by-pass just like you did.
I find that loud mufflers wear you down on long road trips.

Right... I think you will like the sound not much difference at hwy speeds. Also the oxy sensor is close to the engine on the pipe and the computer will adjust what it needs in the tail pipe. I only have 600 miles on mine and it seems more peppy without the cat.... get ride of the blockage and it will run better.

Lone Spyders
06-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Does removing the awful cat void your warranty? I have a new 2014 RT Limited just got and do not like the hot butt!

Where did you get the CAT replacement from? Did you order online or did have to order by phone with PitBull?

Thanks

bgame
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Does removing the awful cat void your warranty? I have a new 2014 RT Limited just got and do not like the hot butt!
I figure if I need warranty.... I can put it back on.... easy to do... But I do have a good dealer that understands about these little improvements.

ulflyer
06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Did you bust a lot of knuckles getting that top spring on? :D

I watched the tech/s do mine and it was a real bitch! :p

bgame
06-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Did you bust a lot of knuckles getting that top spring on? :D

I watched the tech/s do mine and it was a real bitch! :p

Not really... I took a small set of vice-grips and clamped it on the end of the curved part of the spring and took a Phillips screwdriver used it as a pry bar ... put it in the hook and used the other spring hook as the lever point. Then used the vice grips to hook it in..... just ain't much room. I really think it might even be easier if the front pipe ( one that attaches to the engine) was taken off since it is held on with one clamp was taken off and install the cat bypass on it the put the whole thing on as one pipe would work out better. That way you can put the springs on outside the bike... Too late now. But if I put the cat back on this will be the way I would do it again.

Benggolf
06-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Has anyone encountered any issues like throwing a code or (check engine light :yikes:). surging, back-firing, etc. etc.?
Am about to pull the trigger on Lamonster's CAT by-pass and likely install an Akrapovic muffler
too. Just want to be sure that I am not risking the loss of warranty (and a whole chunk of money :roflblack:) on a brand new RT Limited.

Thank you guys for any feedback.

bgame
06-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Has anyone encountered any issues like throwing a code or (check engine light :yikes:). surging, back-firing, etc. etc.?
Am about to pull the trigger on Lamonster's CAT by-pass and likely install an Akrapovic muffler
too. Just want to be sure that I am not risking the loss of warranty (and a whole chunk of money :roflblack:) on a brand new RT Limited.

Thank you guys for any feedback.

No to all the above...

Benggolf
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
No to all the above...

Thanks for the reply and re-assurance. :thumbup:

jaherbst
06-28-2014, 08:08 PM
After Pitbull installed mine, I have driven 150 miles and about 2hours in town and do not notice any difference in the heat problem or anything else???? I was expecting a lot more from my $400 instead of no change. I will try wrapping the bypass itself when I get home.

I would do a lot more home work before buying one. Some one needs to measure temps with and without the bypass and approach this with facts instead of hype.

Pitbulls tech installed in one hour. I will not be able to reuse the CAT because he cut off the hangers with a torch.

Jack

Benggolf
06-28-2014, 10:47 PM
After Pitbull installed mine, I have driven 150 miles and about 2hours in town and do not notice any difference in the heat problem or anything else???? I was expecting a lot more from my $400 instead of no change. I will try wrapping the bypass itself when I get home.

I would do a lot more home work before buying one. Some one needs to measure temps with and without the bypass and approach this with facts instead of hype.

Pitbulls tech installed in one hour. I will not be able to reuse the CAT because he cut off the hangers with a torch.

Jack

Thank you for your feedback, jaherbst. See you have a 2013 RTS and are probably primarily interested in reducing the heat emitted by the CAT. My goal is a bit different; I want to reduce weight, have a slight gain in power as long as I don't get any issues (that I previously listed). Not necessary to have a more throaty sound as I plan to install an Akrapovic muffler.

Perhaps I should just play safe and skip the CAT bypass.

PW2013STL
06-29-2014, 04:49 AM

Jack

Jack,

Did you notice any change in your mileage? Yesterday we did about 300 miles on the 2014 and for a 220 mile fill up it only required 5 gallons of gas for an average of 44. The best before was 41.
I will know better after we return home if this bypass is the reason or if it is due to the altitude here.

Les

bgame
06-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Drove a 100 miles yesterday in 95 degree heat here in Texas... Lot of 50mph back road driving.... Had a lot less heat than before. Noticed less heat in the glove box also...

SpydermanCT
06-30-2014, 07:51 PM
I seem to have noticed a 2-3 mpg drop and even after almost 750 miles I'm getting backfiring when decelerating. I've been runninging 93 octane since the install. I think there was an increase in torque and it is a little louder but not drastic. Any similar stories?

PW2013STL
06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
I seem to have noticed a 2-3 mpg drop and even after almost 750 miles I'm getting backfiring when decelerating. I've been runninging 93 octane since the install. I think there was an increase in torque and it is a little louder but not drastic. Any similar stories?

Just the opposite for me. Looks like a 3-4 mpg increase. No change in drivability and been driving in 100 to 105 temps in the Utah canyons pulling a loaded trailer.

bgame
07-01-2014, 08:45 AM

I would say you were backfiring before also and now you are able to hear it without the cat....