PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my hands

Charlotte17078
06-24-2014, 05:42 AM
I have had my 2011 Spyder RT for about 2 months and am having a blast riding it! The problem I am having is pain in my hands. I am 5'2" and wondering if the angle on the handle bars is right and if anyone else has had the same issue and how you overcame it. I take Tylenol before we leave on rides, but, I think there is more that I can do. It is worse with gloves on and I have tried different styles of gloves.
Thanks!!

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 06:19 AM
I agree the bars need to be slanted back more, but I make a lot of use of the cruise ct. which allows for a more relaxed grip.
Nothing you can do with the bars unless you get a set of the expensive adjustable bars that BRP makes for some models.

2 Cruysyn
06-24-2014, 06:54 AM
I have had my 2011 Spyder RT for about 2 months and am having a blast riding it! The problem I am having is pain in my hands. I am 5'2" and wondering if the angle on the handle bars is right and if anyone else has had the same issue and how you overcame it. I take Tylenol before we leave on rides, but, I think there is more that I can do. It is worse with gloves on and I have tried different styles of gloves.
Thanks!!

How's your grip? Back in the day I had to break my self of gripping the bars like they were going to get away. It was not something I was consciously doing. Once I realized it and relaxed my hands they were happy. So was my Spyder. They don't like to be over controlled.

murphybrown
06-24-2014, 06:59 AM
May be that you are using your hands differently...consider exercising hands with squeeze type balls/"tool"...:clap:And yes, make cruise control your new best 'friend' ...

PrairieSpyder
06-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I love having cruise control. I also like my tri-axis bars. It has really helped my arm and shoulder pain.

Omcge
06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks!!

I added Grip Buddies to mine. They go over the existing grips making them bigger and softer.

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 10:21 AM
I added Grip Buddies to mine. They go over the existing grips making them bigger and softer.

A good idea. They will make the grips feel thicker. A less expensive option than the tri-axle bars which would solve the problem in most cases.

Dan_Ashley
06-24-2014, 10:39 AM
I use cramp busters. They are quite inexpensive and have helped me a lot.

Jim&Teresa
06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I recently installed the Tri Axis adjustable handlebars on my 2014 RT Limited. I had some shoulder and neck pain when rydin' both my 2012 RT L and now my 2014 RT L.

So...decided to invest in the adjustable handlebars. MUCH LESS pain in my neck and shoulders. :D:D:D As I ryde more, I will know more! These adjustable handlebars help a lot as I was stretching to reach the stock handlebars when sitting upright against the driver's backrest. I've got the adjustment almost all the way back and your can also tilt them up and down to adjust the height.

Hope you find a solution as the pain is no fun whether it's in your hands, arms, shoulders, neck, etc. Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I use the cramp buster/palm cruise on the throttle side and on the freeways relax my grip. Though most of our ryding is mountain, country and winding/twisties. The grip buddies are nice but I prefer to be able to wrap my hand around the grip. There are replacement grips and all the handle bar mods. Start with relaxing your grip and then move on up...:thumbup:

jerpinoy
06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks!!

Tylenol is a temporary fix which if you continue your liver will fail. I avoided sugar and anything that turn to sugar which in my case worsen the pain on my joints. Natural non processed and organic food are my choices and help my autoimmunity.

TeresaR
07-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Does that affect the heated grips at all? Do you have to remove them if you think you might need to keep warm with a little help? :hun:

Bob Ledford
07-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I would be very curious as to what type of gloves you are buying?

Gloves are like shoes, jackets and gloves. They come in all sorts of materials, types of seams, sewing techniques, finger styles, padding etc.

My personal favorite type of gloves for riding are full hand coverage, natural, deer skin of a medium to light weight grade. They give a good tactile feed back, are soft, cover a wide temperature range especially with heated grips like the Spyder, wear like iron and are affordable. Plus they look good on or off the Spyder....

BikerDoc
07-06-2014, 06:21 PM
A lot of great suggestions to reduce the causal factors... You might also consider that pain from joints is likely to be from inflammation and therefore more likely to respond to ibuprofen than tylenol. I ride a lot and I do everything everyone has suggested here to ease the wear and tear on my hands but before any all day commitments on the Spyder I take ibuprofen in advance to get it in my system

Princeau99
07-07-2014, 12:21 AM
If I take ibuprofen too often it raises my blood pressure. Have to rotate aspirin, Tylonal and ibuprofen.
At my current condition (a wreak) about 15% of my daily input is pills. By the way, most of my pain is in hips.

Charlotte17078
07-11-2014, 08:21 PM
We live near Hershey, PA and have been ryding mostly back roads with lots of curves, etc.
I found that, through the curves, I was pushing more with the heel of my palm.
When I started to pull more with the other hand, that has helped.. Also, I have been trying different types of gloves and
that has helped, too. I have been using a stress ball, too, when I am reading, etc. and all of that has made a difference.
We (hubby on his Voyager) are planning a trip to Maggie Valley in 2 weeks, so, we are going to be doing
more ryding to get in "shape" :) :2excited: