PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters Backordered for RT Until September????????????

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Just got a call from my dealer. I brought the 2014 RT in for its 3000 mile oil change/filter service.

I am told BRP changed the oil filter and that the correct one is backordered until September.

If this is true--it is a heck of a way to run a company.

RIGHT NOW: I am in the trust but verify mode.

Any input from out there in Spyderland?

Dan McNally
06-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I just checked the BRP Online store . . . oil change kits are "Temporarily Unavailable" . . . WTF? Is everyone supposed to park their rides all summer? BRP, "you got some splainin' to do!"

bill pitman
06-23-2014, 05:30 PM
How is something like this even possible!
Please say it ain't so, Joe....

Jim&Teresa
06-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Just got a call from my dealer. I brought the 2014 RT in for its 3000 mile oil change/filter service.

I am told BRP changed the oil filter and that the correct one is backordered until September.

If this is true--it is a heck of a way to run a company.

RIGHT NOW: I am in the trust buy verify mode.

Any input from out there in Spyderland?

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue.:banghead::banghead: I have my 3000 mile check this Thursday. Dealer said of no issues when I scheduled it!
I'll let you know what I find when I'm in there later this week......

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I just checked the BRP Online store . . . oil change kits are "Temporarily Unavailable" . . . WTF? Is everyone supposed to park their rides all summer? BRP, "you got some splainin' to do!"

I will have a lot more to say if the situation is true. If I were to keep rydeing I would have over 10K miles by September. :yikes:

ulflyer
06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Curious situation! The two I picked up earlier looked and measured identical to the ones used in the pre-'14's other than it has a hole with grommet on both ends so that the filter cap, that looks sorta like a dip stick, can go thru the filter. The top end grommet next to the cap is sealed when the cap is screwed down. The grommets are the same size as the ones on the pre'14's.

Hiflo should get cracking and produce some to fit. :)

SpyderAnn01
06-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Several people have reported this znd they were pooh poohed.

maliamd
06-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Nothing ever changes. You would think BRP would have learned from previous supply issues. Dumb and dumber continues....:banghead:

Chupaca
06-23-2014, 06:50 PM
:wrong: I would call other dealer and find some..try here...http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/52a5f483f870027104d4a6a8/engine-lubrication...they may have some...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 06:51 PM

I missed these??? But--I do feel poohed upon :roflblack:

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 06:52 PM
:wrong: I would call other dealer and find some..try here...http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/52a5f483f870027104d4a6a8/engine-lubrication...they may have some...:thumbup:

I have a message in to THE dealer. Will see what they have to say.

DrewNJ
06-24-2014, 06:16 AM
Anyone care to post up the dimensions of the filter. I have a hard time believing that the filter is a one platform filter.

Sounds like the same filter that comes out of the skis....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Anyone care to post up the dimensions of the filter. I have a hard time believing that the filter is a one platform filter.

Sounds like the same filter that comes out of the skis....

Same size as this but with a hole & grommet on both ends. If you're bold enough, make your own by cutting a hole and putting a rubber grommet on from your old OEM filter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=can+am+spyder+oil+filter

DrewNJ
06-24-2014, 06:29 AM
And how does that compare to this?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=can+am+spyder+oil+filter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xseadoo +oil+filter&_nkw=seadoo+oil+filter&_sacat=0&_from=R40

DrewNJ
06-24-2014, 06:31 AM
The number for the filter in the skis is kn556. One of you 1330 guys should easily be able to cross reference the stock 1330 filter

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
A bump for the morning crowd.

EDIT: A bit surprised at the lack of comments. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
...Just waiting to see what will happpen next... :D
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 02:11 PM
...Just waiting to see what will happpen next... :D
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

There you are! Was wondering if you had anything to say. :roflblack:

Highwayman2013
06-24-2014, 02:25 PM
BRP should have used a commonly available filter, preferably spin on. I can go in any auto parts store and get an oil filter for my 1700 Vulcan.:banghead:

DrewNJ
06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
BRP should have used a commonly available filter, preferably spin on. I can go in any auto parts store and get an oil filter for my 1700 Vulcan.:banghead:
spin on filters are on their way out completely. cartridge filters are replacing spin on filters as time goes on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cohoff
06-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanx Ann, I was one of the ones who was poohed poohed. My dealer is just as frustrated as I am with not being able to get the oil filter for my 2014 RT. I called 4 other dealers and finally found one who has them. They are sending a couple to my dealer....one to use now and I will keep the other for a spare for my next oil change.

BajaRon
06-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanx Ann, I was one of the ones who was poohed poohed. My dealer is just as frustrated as I am with not being able to get the oil filter for my 2014 RT. I called 4 other dealers and finally found one who has them. They are sending a couple to my dealer....one to use now and I will keep the other for a spare for my next oil change.

Semi-Guilty as charged. I was pooh-poohing the dealer that said they couldn't get them (not the poster(s). This based upon the fact that I was able to get them easily from my dealer and the assumption that BRP would not let this happen.

If my PP'ing was misdirected I apologize.

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
And how does that compare to this?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=can+am+spyder+oil+filter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xseadoo +oil+filter&_nkw=seadoo+oil+filter&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Assume you mean this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILTER-SEADOO-OEM-4-TEC-GTX-GTI-RXP-RXT-SPEEDSTER-CHALLENGER-420956741-/321148005852?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item4ac5e9addc&vxp=mtr

Buy one and send me the measurements and I'll compare it to the new '14 filter that I have on hand.

May stop at my dealer tmr; if so, will compare the two filters. Only diff in stock numbers are the last digit, Seadoo being a "1" and the Can Am "3".

cohoff
06-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Semi-Guilty as charged. I was pooh-poohing the dealer that said they couldn't get them (not the poster(s). This based upon the fact that I was able to get them easily from my dealer and the assumption that BRP would not let this happen.

If my PP'ing was misdirected I apologize.

I am semi-guilty of not realizing you were PP'ing my dealer and not me. I appreciate your post Ron, thank you!

ivanlee
06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Nothing ever changes. You would think BRP would have learned from previous supply issues. Dumb and dumber continues....:banghead:

:agree:

BajaRon
06-24-2014, 04:52 PM
I went by the local dealer and picked up a filter. Took it in the shorts on price. Retail is $15.99 and they charged $19.29.

But FWIW Broward Motorsports in West Palm has a bag of filters if anyone needs one.

Filter PN is 420956743

Dimensions are as follows

Overall length excluding grommets 98.3mm
Overall length including grommets 106.7mm

Outside diameter (metal edge) 56.5mm
Inside Diameter (grommets) 25.0mm

Consider that the grommets must be able to handle the pressure diff across the filter element.

PK

The grommets are just to seal the ends. Usually a filter only needs 1 end open, otherwise the oil could enter and exit without going through the filter at all. Even filters with 2 grommets don't necessarily need them (as in the original OEM trans filters) as the 2nd grommet simply seals against the outer cap. They could just as easily (and more cheaply) put a blind end cap on the filter itself.

If this was the case with the 1330 ACE motor we could simply use the engine filter used on all of the earlier models. But, in this case it appears both ends being open (with grommet) is functional and the system will not work without both ends being open.

This is what happens when you re-invent the wheel.

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Some good news. The filter outage does not appear to be an epidemic.

I am finding out that "dealers in the know" seem to have them. I ordered two of the kits from one this AM.

BajaRon
06-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Both ends are open to allow the bolt to pass through. They need to seal to prevent bypass of contaminated oil.

PK

Exactly.. ! :thumbup:

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 06:29 PM
The grommets are just to seal the ends. Usually a filter only needs 1 end open, otherwise the oil could enter and exit without going through the filter at all. Even filters with 2 grommets don't necessarily need them (as in the original OEM trans filters) as the 2nd grommet simply seals against the outer cap. They could just as easily (and more cheaply) put a blind end cap on the filter itself.

If this was the case with the 1330 ACE motor we could simply use the engine filter used on all of the earlier models. But, in this case it appears both ends being open (with grommet) is functional and the system will not work without both ends being open.

This is what happens when you re-invent the wheel.

So you take one of the older type, put a hole cutter in your drill press, drill out the metal end, add a grommet off the OEM you just removed! I've got two prepared, but haven't the urge yet to try them; besides I have an extra OEM on the shelf! :D

DrewNJ
06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Assume you mean this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILTER-SEADOO-OEM-4-TEC-GTX-GTI-RXP-RXT-SPEEDSTER-CHALLENGER-420956741-/321148005852?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item4ac5e9addc&vxp=mtr

Buy one and send me the measurements and I'll compare it to the new '14 filter that I have on hand.

May stop at my dealer tmr; if so, will compare the two filters. Only diff in stock numbers are the last digit, Seadoo being a "1" and the Can Am "3".
I have one at our shop that I could measure and post up. I won't be over there until the weekend though...

ulflyer
06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Stopped by dealer today and compared SeaDoo 420956741 to Spyder 420956743 and they are IDENTICAL in SIZE with the same grommets on both ends.

Construction of the Seadoo filter is much like the Hiflo used in pre-14's; that is, it does not have the outer wire construction. However, many of us have used Hiflo filters exclusively with no issues that I've heard of.

Therefore I can see no problem with using the Seadoo if you can't find the Spyder one. Priced about $12 vs $16.

Let me point out that I'm not a mechanic, and not proposing that any of you do this. Its strictly your call.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the 1330 motor and its oil pressure system can chime in on this subject.

I've emailed BRP asking them if the two are interchangeable.

Heres what the Seadoo filter looks like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STROKE-OIL-FILTER-SKI-DOO-LYNX-SEA-DOO-EVINRUDE-JOHNSON-ROTAX-CAN-AM-420956741-/261222557827?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item3cd213e883&vxp=mtr

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STROKE-OIL-FILTER-SKI-DOO-LYNX-SEA-DOO-EVINRUDE-JOHNSON-ROTAX-CAN-AM-420956741-/261222557827?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item3cd213e883&vxp=mtr)

DrewNJ
06-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Stopped by dealer today and compared SeaDoo 420956741 to Spyder 420956743 and they are IDENTICAL in SIZE with the same grommets on both ends.

Construction of the Seadoo filter is much like the Hiflo used in pre-14's; that is, it does not have the outer wire construction. However, many of us have used Hiflo filters exclusively with no issues that I've heard of.

Therefore I can see no problem with using the Seadoo if you can't find the Spyder one. Priced about $12 vs $16.

Let me point out that I'm not a mechanic, and not proposing that any of you do this. Its strictly your call.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the 1330 motor and its oil pressure system can chime in on this subject.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STROKE-OIL-FILTER-SKI-DOO-LYNX-SEA-DOO-EVINRUDE-JOHNSON-ROTAX-CAN-AM-420956741-/261222557827?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item3cd213e883&vxp=mtr

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STROKE-OIL-FILTER-SKI-DOO-LYNX-SEA-DOO-EVINRUDE-JOHNSON-ROTAX-CAN-AM-420956741-/261222557827?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item3cd213e883&vxp=mtr)
Cool! Looks like the problem is solved. K&N also makes a filter that many seadoo peeps choose.
You all can be assured that if it holds up in a 1500cc supercharged engine putting out 260+ hp with long extended times of running 8k+ rpms, that it will surely hold up in the 1330 motor..... [emoji106]

CentralCoastCA
06-25-2014, 11:54 PM
So I got curious as to my dealership having oil filters in stock since I'm taking my RT in for 3k mile service and some warranty work on Friday (ignition/frunk issue, leaking rear shock).

Service told me they had plenty in stock if I wanted extras since hubby will do all oil changes after this; I could buy the kit or the individual filters and O rings. No problem on the supplies here......

ulflyer
06-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Cool! Looks like the problem is solved. K&N also makes a filter that many seadoo peeps choose.
You all can be assured that if it holds up in a 1500cc supercharged engine putting out 260+ hp with long extended times of running 8k+ rpms, that it will surely hold up in the 1330 motor..... [emoji106]

What is the K&N number? KN556? kept popping up while I was researching but it appears to have a closed end so that won't work. Also, I think K&N's are made by Hiflo...or at least some are.

BajaRon
06-26-2014, 08:24 AM
What is the K&N number? KN556? kept popping up while I was researching but it appears to have a closed end so that won't work. Also, I think K&N's are made by Hiflo...or at least some are.

All K&N oil filters are made by HiFlo. Air filters are made by K&N.

KX5062
06-26-2014, 10:10 AM

If the physical dimensions are the same, then it should work. The business of regulating the filter is done by the stem that goes through the middle. The filter is the filter, size of the filter media is the only difference that could be. The stem that goes through the middle is old school motorcycle technology and has been in use for somewhere around 40 years or so.

DrewNJ
06-26-2014, 12:39 PM
KN556. Open on both ends.

Jim&Teresa
06-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Hello fellow Spyderlovers,

I had my dealer just complete my first service / oil change on my 2014 RT L. I asked when I set it up if there were any issues with parts, and the service manager said no.

He is credible! :D:thumbup: Just got home after being at the dealer for my first service. No issues whatsoever! :thumbup: NO mention of any parts (i.e. filter) for the oil change in backorder or any other issues.

As a matter of fact, while I was at the dealer, I purchased a complete set of O-rings, washers, filter, etc. for my next oil change -- all in stock. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Are all of you really going to wait the "EVERY 15 000KM (9,300MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)" to change your oil again???:shocked::dontknow:

I think I'll get it on the 5000 mile intervals from now on -- any thoughts? :dontknow::dontknow:

ARtraveler
06-26-2014, 02:28 PM

I had my dealer just complete my first service / oil change on my 2014 RT L. I asked when I set it up if there were any issues with parts, and the service manager said no.

He is credible! :D:thumbup: Just got home after being at the dealer for my first service. No issues whatsoever! :thumbup: NO mention of any parts (i.e. filter) for the oil change in backorder or any other issues.

As a matter of fact, while I was at the dealer, I purchased a complete set of O-rings, washers, filter, etc. for my next oil change -- all in stock. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Are all of you really going to wait the "EVERY 15 000KM (9,300MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)" to change your oil again???:shocked::dontknow:

I think I'll get it on the 5000 mile intervals from now on -- any thoughts? :dontknow::dontknow:

A good question indeed concerning oil change intervals. A 9300 mile interval does seem long in the scheme of things. Coupled with the once a year, regardless, does seem to temper the situation though. Most riders with a short summer season are not going to encounter the 9300 miles--so there is a safety margin there.

Those of us in the high miles club may want to consider a more frequent interval.

I don't personally have the answer--just throwing some ideas out for a brainstorming session.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ulflyer
06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I really expected better of BRP but perhaps my query never got to the technical types. Heres what I asked and following is the classic CYA beaurecratic answer: :mad:

"Is there any reason this Seadoo oil filter 420956741 should not be used in a Can Am RT SE6 in place of 420956743? I cannot imagine the 1330 ACE having more oil pressure than the 4-Tec Seadoo motor and requiring the wirebraced filter now being used in the 1330. Thanks"

"In response to your request BRP does not recommend modification to the units. As mentioned in the exclusions of the warranty section of the operator's guide, the following are not covered under the manufacturing warranty;

• Normal wear and tear;
• Routine maintenance items, tune ups, adjustments;
• Damage caused by failure to provide proper maintenance, operation, care, service or storage;
• Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, service maintenance, modifications, or use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP or repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing BRP dealer;
• etc;"

syclemom
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I have been running EMGO filters on my wifes 2010 RTs since 600mi. service cant believe they don't have a match, quality filters great price

PW2013STL
06-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Jim,

Glad it went well!

I think I am going to do the next one at 9300 miles (6,300 since first one) an maybe send in a sample to have it tested. I will then decide if I go with BPR's change schedule.

Les

PS - we are just outside Bryce Canyon for the night?

Jim&Teresa
06-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Jim,

Glad it went well!

I think I am going to do the next one at 9300 miles (6,300 since first one) an maybe send in a sample to have it tested. I will then decide if I go with BPR's change schedule.

Les

PS - we are just outside Bryce Canyon for the night?

Hi Les,

What a great trip! :D:D:D I didn't know you were heading out of Durango heading west....I thought you were coming back after the event. :dontknow::dontknow: Did you get any ride time with Butch and Paula?

Have fun and safe travels..... :ohyea:

Jim

PW2013STL
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Hi Les,

What a great trip! :D:D:D I didn't know you were heading out of Durango heading west....I thought you were coming back after the event. :dontknow::dontknow: Did you get any ride time with Butch and Paula?

Have fun and safe travels..... :ohyea:

Jim

Kathy and I took this week off as well and decided to try and see all the National Parks in southern Utah.
Temps have ranged from 85 to 105 durring the day so we are taking our time and drinking lots of water. We have not got into a hotel room before 7:00pm and today it was after 8:00pm

Yes we spent all day Thursday riding with Butch and Paula - just the 4 of us. It was great!

The plan is to arrive home Saturday evening.

Les

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Just received two oil change kits that I had to order from our friend Pitbull. They took about a week to get here.

My dealer service department says they are still backordered from the factory until September. He was surprised I was able to come up with mine.

I have noted recently that not much is being stocked here. That includes two tires that I had to wait a week or so for. I have now become pro-active. Not going to bring in for service unless I know they have the parts to complete it.

Will have to see what happens if something of warranty nature happens. :sour:

PW2013STL
07-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Just received two oil change kits that I had to order from our friend Pitbull. They took about a week to get here.

My dealer service department says they are still backordered from the factory until September. He was surprised I was able to come up with mine.

I have noted recently that not much is being stocked here. That includes two tires that I had to wait a week or so for. I have now become pro-active. Not going to bring in for service unless I know they have the parts to complete it.

Will have to see what happens if something of warranty nature happens. :sour:

Glad you were able to score what you need. As for warranty doing the oil change when required by the manufacture will keep it covered as compared to waiting for your dealer to do it whenever they get the required oil filters in.

Jim&Teresa
07-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Kathy and I took this week off as well and decided to try and see all the National Parks in southern Utah.
Temps have ranged from 85 to 105 durring the day so we are taking our time and drinking lots of water. We have not got into a hotel room before 7:00pm and today it was after 8:00pm

Yes we spent all day Thursday riding with Butch and Paula - just the 4 of us. It was great!

The plan is to arrive home Saturday evening.

Les

Les,

It was great you could ride together with Butch and Paula! :clap::clap::clap: Enjoy and safe travels......:thumbup:

Teresa and I will be riding out to the Black Hills of SD visiting family and riding -- taking a little over a week off. We hope to see you guys sometime later in July! Weather is looking very nice for the rest of this week and weekend! :D:D:D:D

Jim

JimFoy
07-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I had the 3000 mile service on my 2014 RTL on Friday, and there was no problem installing a new oil filter.

Bob Denman
07-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Great News! :2thumbs:
I'm within a couple of weeks of getting to that first service. :yes::ohyea::yes:

ulflyer
07-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Have heard that some of the 3000 mile services are only getting the oil changed. Probably nothing wrong with letting the filter go til the next change, but you are paying for something you didn't get.

Unless you have total confidence in your shop, tell them to put the used filter in a zip-lok you provide so you can examine it later.

ARtraveler
07-13-2014, 04:05 PM
My purpose of starting the thread was to offer a heads up when I was told by my service department that no oil filters would be available until September.

Others chimed in and some had the same issue, others did not. Bottom line, it appears that some dealers got caught with their pants down by not ordering on a timely basis.

IMO: basic repair parts should be on hand at all dealers. When I was in the leather business, you never ran out of leather, black dye, cement, rivets, or snaps.

I decided not to panic, wave to many red flags, etc. Was able to solve the problem on my second try. Communicated with a couple well known places. One had the filters, one did not. Ordered two oil change kits from our friend Pitbull, and the rest is history.

Dealer here performed the oil change, and I still have one kit on the shelf.

Problem solved here. :thumbup:

Tango
07-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Arctic Adventures in Rosendale, N.Y. has filters in stock. He will be happy to send you one. I was told that the dealers that didn't order them with their spring order are the ones that can't get them now. That makes sense to me. If dealers thought the filters would be the same, and they had plenty in stock. Why order more. Give Tom a call. Great people. Buy a t-shirt too. Best $10 for a Spyder shirt you can buy. Red or blue. nojoke Stopped in Saturday on my trip. :coffee: Tom :trike: