PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Licensing Requirements for operators of 3-wheeled vehicles

mindman
06-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi All,
As some of you know, I've been informally / occasionally working to change the way the state of Connecticut licenses operators of 3-wheeled vehicles and specifically Can-AM spyders since 2010. My ultimate goal is for CT to require only a driver's license to be able to legally operate a spyder on the road, but that's the end state. Short term I want the state to begin treating these as the unique vehicles they are and stop simply lumping them into the motorcycle category. Now that I'm retired I can spend more time on it.

Working with one of our state representatives, I've finally made some progress and am planning to use this thread to keep anyone who's interested updated. Here's what's happening:

- The DOT and DMV are working together to make it possible for new riders to take the basic rider education (MSF) course and test on 3 wheels. They are in the process of obtaining two (unspecified) 3 wheelers for this purpose. The hope is that this will be put in place within a year. So great news there ! :ohyea:

- With Lamont's help, I've also spoken with A Senior Adviser in BRP's government relations area (lobbyist) and we have developed a strategy to not only move this forward, but to continue efforts towards the ultimate goal. This adviser has already been in contact with one of our state senators, and he is positively inclined towards working on this with us.

Next Steps:
We will be contacting these individuals to discuss where to go from here. There are a few things we have in mind for how to do this. Once we have some firm next steps I'll send out an update.

Vidman
06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
pm me if there is anyway I can be of help.

Chupaca
06-23-2014, 03:41 PM
lived there for 9 years but did not get the roadster till we got to San Diego. As you know here you just need a drivers licence. I have a motorcycle one as well alway have. Curious though, if in a state requiring an endorsement or motorcycle license how would they deal with a CA driver with auto license only..?? Great work you are getting it done...:2thumbs:

SPYD3R
06-23-2014, 03:59 PM
look up the South Carolina law on 3 wheelers... it passed sometime around '08 or '09.... maybe you can adopt ours to fit your needs....
it works for us..... I'll email my State Senator and ask him to provide me with a copy of the law, and i'll pass it on to you....
good luck...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

mindman
06-23-2014, 05:48 PM
pm me if there is anyway I can be of help.

You got it Vidman!

SpydermanCT
06-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your efforts and please keep us posted :thumbup:

Eagle1
06-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Very good, keep us posted.

jcthorne
06-24-2014, 07:31 AM
I offer a dissenting opinion and one that you will likely encounter frequently in your endeavor.

I do not support a further lowering of the driving skills / licencing requirements for Spyder owners or for any vehicle type. We need MORE STRINGENT training and licencing requirements. We have far too many untrained and poor drivers on the road already. Your proposed plan would make this problem worse.

Just my opinion.

Vidman
06-24-2014, 08:17 AM
I offer a dissenting opinion and one that you will likely encounter frequently in your endeavor.

I do not support a further lowering of the driving skills / licencing requirements for Spyder owners or for any vehicle type. We need MORE STRINGENT training and licencing requirements. We have far too many untrained and poor drivers on the road already. Your proposed plan would make this problem worse.

Just my opinion.

I am in agreement. I do not support a regular car operator's license requirement. However, a course and test for 3 wheel vehicles over the 2 wheel motorcycles is in order.

People have gone to 3 wheel vehicles for a reason. Some for medical and/or disability reasons. By not responding to this need a State is guilty of discrimination.

Any "old time" motorcycle riders who have taken the Motorcycle Safety Course or the Advanced Motorcycle Safety course have claimed they were surprised to learn something.

mindman
06-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Got a call yesterday from Land N' Sea Marine in Waterbury. They have a long history of working on this and heard about our efforts from a contact in BRP. They are excited about this and want to be involved and to participate in any demos, provide loaners to the State, or whatever else they can do to help!
Also, BRP has sent a letter to the senator and representative involved offering them 2 free loaners. Work also continues towards demo days sometime in Sept.

mindman
06-25-2014, 06:05 PM
I am in agreement. I do not support a regular car operator's license requirement. However, a course and test for 3 wheel vehicles over the 2 wheel motorcycles is in order.

People have gone to 3 wheel vehicles for a reason. Some for medical and/or disability reasons. By not responding to this need a State is guilty of discrimination.

Any "old time" motorcycle riders who have taken the Motorcycle Safety Course or the Advanced Motorcycle Safety course have claimed they were surprised to learn something.

I think that a 3 wheel endorsement is in fact the most likely scenario. I've been thinking about this after your comments and while I believe that from a technical perspective there are no additional skills needed for a Spyder than a car, BUT...you're right - special training on 3 wheels should be mandatory for the endorsement. I also think it would be a major mistake for the state to grant a plain old motorcycle endorsement when the rider has only the skills needed for a 3 wheeler.

Coincidentally, BRP has developed a 3 wheel course for the MSF and it is being used. When the timing is right I plan to bring this up with the state and also plan to volunteer to become certified as an instructor, and to help set up the program.

jcthorne
06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Go take the MSF course and come back and let us know if you still feel there are no special skills need to ride a Spyder vs driving a car. you are dead wrong and promoting such is going to get folks killed.

If you want to ride a 3 wheel Spyder, you need to learn to ride one and demonstrate your proficiency to do so before being granted the privilege. The Spyder is a motorcycle, not a car. So says the DOT and for very good reasons. Even BRP does not want them classified as cars, they would cease production if that happened as they cannot meet those requirements.

Vidman
06-25-2014, 10:24 PM
I think that a 3 wheel endorsement is in fact the most likely scenario. I've been thinking about this after your comments and while I believe that from a technical perspective there are no additional skills needed for a Spyder than a car, BUT...you're right - special training on 3 wheels should be mandatory for the endorsement. I also think it would be a major mistake for the state to grant a plain old motorcycle endorsement when the rider has only the skills needed for a 3 wheeler.

Coincidentally, BRP has developed a 3 wheel course for the MSF and it is being used. When the timing is right I plan to bring this up with the state and also plan to volunteer to become certified as an instructor, and to help set up the program.

I truly believe the 3 wheel endorsement is the way to go in lieu of a MC Endorsement.

I am aware of the 3 wheel course for the MSF. I spoke to Pat Cruess on Saturday about this. He is an instructor for MSF at Tunxis. He is the guy who pushed successfully for a Scooter course. He sees the need for 3 wheel course. I hope he can push on that end.

Highwayman2013
06-25-2014, 10:34 PM
They have a separate 3 wheel course in Pa that my wife has taken. It was MSF and now she has the endorsement on her license. I have a motorcycle endorsement so I am good for both. Our training is free and we can get our license on the spot.

mindman
06-26-2014, 07:12 AM
They have a separate 3 wheel course in Pa that my wife has taken. It was MSF and now she has the endorsement on her license. I have a motorcycle endorsement so I am good for both. Our training is free and we can get our license on the spot.

Good to know. thanks!

joebryanjr
06-26-2014, 07:24 AM
My concern is that driving a car is not similar to ryding a Spyder. In MO you need a motorcycle endorsement. You take the written (laws and rules) test. If you take the MSF BRC you do not need to take an additional riding test. This way you lean the differences in riding a motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels).

I took the class on 2 wheels (spyders exceed the engine size allowed for the class). I like this approach better than allowing riders with just an automobile drivers license.

In California, I believe, you can ride a spyder without an additional endorsement.

mindman
06-26-2014, 07:50 AM
My concern is that driving a car is not similar to ryding a Spyder. In MO you need a motorcycle endorsement. You take the written (laws and rules) test. If you take the MSF BRC you do not need to take an additional riding test. This way you lean the differences in riding a motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels).

I took the class on 2 wheels (spyders exceed the engine size allowed for the class). I like this approach better than allowing riders with just an automobile drivers license.

In California, I believe, you can ride a spyder without an additional endorsement.

CT is the same as MO - which is why I'm pursuing this. We require successful completion of the MSF course. That's fine because you learn about things like lane position, the importance of riding gear, etc. The problem is that in CT you must take the MSF course on two wheels. There are many people who don't want to, or can't take the course on two wheels. My wife for example has bad knees. She can't support a two wheeler. My initial goal is for the state to allow taking the course and test on 3 wheels. I would also like to see the state implement a 3 wheel specific course and test.
My personal opinion is that from a physical skills level there's really not much difference between a car and a spyder, but that's just my opinion. I believe that with a little practice in a parking lot, most people that can drive a car can ride a spyder perfectly well. the main adjustment is in steering response which again - in my opinion is easily adapted to.

As a result of some of the comments here, I've changed my mind in that I no longer believe the goal should be to allow people to ride a spyder with only a normal driver's license (thank you all for your well thought-out statements). The reality is that we need to ensure that practice happens and the only way to do that is to implement a course specifically for 3 wheelers. This, combined with the knowledge that the MSF course teaches should give us a pretty good expectation that new riders are adequately prepared.

Vidman
06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
CT is the same as MO - which is why I'm pursuing this. We require successful completion of the MSF course. That's fine because you learn about things like lane position, the importance of riding gear, etc. The problem is that in CT you must take the MSF course on two wheels. There are many people who don't want to, or can't take the course on two wheels. My wife for example has bad knees. She can't support a two wheeler. My initial goal is for the state to allow taking the course and test on 3 wheels. I would also like to see the state implement a 3 wheel specific course and test.
My personal opinion is that from a physical skills level there's really not much difference between a car and a spyder, but that's just my opinion. I believe that with a little practice in a parking lot, most people that can drive a car can ride a spyder perfectly well. the main adjustment is in steering response which again - in my opinion is easily adapted to.

As a result of some of the comments here, I've changed my mind in that I no longer believe the goal should be to allow people to ride a spyder with only a normal driver's license (thank you all for your well thought-out statements). The reality is that we need to ensure that practice happens and the only way to do that is to implement a course specifically for 3 wheelers. This, combined with the knowledge that the MSF course teaches should give us a pretty good expectation that new riders are adequately prepared.

Right behind you in all this.
We all also know that 1000 miles behind the handlebars is the answer to Spyder operation comfort and skill.
Basics in MC safety like the MSF course is awesome and the reason most states have adopted this course.

bullant12
06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Go take the MSF course and come back and let us know if you still feel there are no special skills need to ride a Spyder vs driving a car. you are dead wrong and promoting such is going to get folks killed.

If you want to ride a 3 wheel Spyder, you need to learn to ride one and demonstrate your proficiency to do so before being granted the privilege. The Spyder is a motorcycle, not a car. So says the DOT and for very good reasons. Even BRP does not want them classified as cars, they would cease production if that happened as they cannot meet those requirements.

MSF has a strong reputation with safety (hence it's name Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and I think that the course will be very similar to the regular MSF basic 2 wheel course. If that were not the case, MSF would have not gotten involved, period. I do agree with what you are saying, "you need to learn to walk before you learn to run", but I believe that the idea is not making riding easier, but making it easier for future Spyder owners obtain their skills without having to get on 2 wheels. When I took the trike training course by GWRRA, it was a refresher course on MSF basics, but with the 3rd wheel in mind.

daveinva
06-26-2014, 11:23 AM
My opinion, FWIW:

1. You should not be allowed to operate a Spyder on a car license. Too different. At the very least, the safety/responsibilities of riding an exposed vehicle should require separate education/testing. For example, the MSF BRC addresses those items, while auto education/testing does not.

2. You should be allowed to operate a Spyder on a 2-wheeler license. Learning to ride a motorcycle is harder than riding a Spyder, but the majority of the skills, safety considerations and riding laws translate. Yes, you need practice to become a good Spyder rider, but that's not an onerous requirement.

3. There should be a separate 3-wheel designation on licenses that can be obtained by testing on the Spyder. This should grant you the ability to ride 3 wheels, but not 2. You can go from two-wheels to three in an afternoon; going from three-wheels to two takes a LOT more work (FYI, I hope to have a big fun post on that topic in a few days ;)).

Virginia used to have one M license that covered everything. I got my M license in 2011 taking a 3-wheel course on a Spyder (Evergreen Motorcycle Training offered a class comparable to the MSF BRC). By Virginia law, I had a motorcycle license, I could legally operate two-wheels just the same as a Spyder (or conventional trike, or hack-- note, a hack doesn't ride like a Spyder either!).

In 2013, Virginia switched to three separate licenses: M, M2 and M3. M2 allows you to ride two-wheels, M3 allows three, and M allows both (you need to pass both a separate 2-wheel and a 3-wheel course/test, however).

Personally, I think that's overkill-- again, IMO M2 should cover bikes *and* trikes-- but that's the way the law works, so there ya go.

Bottom line: I support distinct licensing, at least in part, and I'd rather have the cumbersome distinct licensing like they have in Virginia versus no distinctions at all.

More to come on this, hopefully this weekend :doorag::D

NicotineJesus
06-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I live in NY down on Long Island (three days a week) and work in CT (living there the four days I'm at work). I still hold a CT license since I still own property there (and insurance rates in NY border on the criminal) and have my "M" endorsement. My wife has a NY license and wants to get her own Spyder. Down in NY they offer a modified "M" that allows the use of three wheelers. She will road test on my bike. A graduated license system seems to be the best way to go in CT and just from looking at the manual ,on the CT DMV web site, it has a full section on three wheel bikes which in the past it never had. Seems to me they're slowly working towards that goal.

ctpaddler2000
06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
The Polaris SlingShot three wheeler will be coming out soon. We will have to see if CT will allow it.

Vidman
06-30-2014, 03:46 PM
The Polaris SlingShot three wheeler will be coming out soon. We will have to see if CT will allow it.

We discussed that yesterday. Don't hold your breath. CT has never allowed 3 wheel cars to be registered. If you sit "IN" it then its a car. "On" it then it is a motorcycle.

ctpaddler2000
07-01-2014, 05:50 AM
We discussed that yesterday. Don't hold your breath. CT has never allowed 3 wheel cars to be registered. If you sit "IN" it then its a car. "On" it then it is a motorcycle.

Polaris only has a teaser video out on the Slingshot so far. My local Polaris dealer was the one who told me about it so that is why I thought it might have a chance in CT. Regardless looks like one is better off with a Miata or a Wrangler over a first generator SlingShot.

ctpaddler2000
07-01-2014, 05:51 AM
More important to this thread, Vidman needs to changes his tagline.

Vidman
07-01-2014, 05:59 AM
More important to this thread, Vidman needs to changes his tagline.

There..... :dontknow::D:roflblack:

Chief-J
07-01-2014, 06:56 AM
I started a program like this in the State of Virginia back in 2001/2010. looks like it was passed, so now you can get an M. M2 or M3 on your license. If you have an M

SPYD3R
07-01-2014, 08:22 AM
here's what i received back from my South Carolina State Senator:
South Carolina General Assembly
118th Session, 2009-2010
Download This Bill (http://scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/bills/3347.docx) in Microsoft Word format

A42, R100, H3347

STATUS INFORMATION

(A42, R100, H3347)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-143, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES GIVING APPLICANTS FOR CERTAIN SERVICES THE OPTION TO MAKE A VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTION TO DONATE LIFE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, SO AS TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT THAT MAY BE DONATED; AND TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-130, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES' EXAMINATION TO OBTAIN A DRIVER'S LICENSE, SO AS TO DELETE THE PROVISIONS THAT RELATE TO THE THREE-WHEEL VEHICLE EXAMINATION AND THE NONCOMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT TO THE MOTORCYCLE CLASSIFICATION, AND TO PROVIDE THAT A BASIC DRIVER'S LICENSE AUTHORIZES THE LICENSEE TO OPERATE CERTAIN MOTORCYCLE THREE-WHEEL VEHICLES.

read the entire Bill if you'd like....

mindman
07-09-2014, 05:14 PM
BRP and CT DMV rep are now talking one on one about the 2 free loaners from BRP and I assume setting up a 3 wheel program also. Hopefully we'll have an agreement soon.
More later

Vidman
07-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Great info Mindman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
I totally agree with this... Cage license for a cage, 2 wheel license for 2 or 3 wheels, and a 3 wheel license for 3... But the sit in/on brings up a little different angle though...

My opinion, FWIW:

1. You should not be allowed to operate a Spyder on a car license. Too different. At the very least, the safety/responsibilities of riding an exposed vehicle should require separate education/testing. For example, the MSF BRC addresses those items, while auto education/testing does not.

2. You should be allowed to operate a Spyder on a 2-wheeler license. Learning to ride a motorcycle is harder than riding a Spyder, but the majority of the skills, safety considerations and riding laws translate. Yes, you need practice to become a good Spyder rider, but that's not an onerous requirement.

3. There should be a separate 3-wheel designation on licenses that can be obtained by testing on the Spyder. This should grant you the ability to ride 3 wheels, but not 2. You can go from two-wheels to three in an afternoon; going from three-wheels to two takes a LOT more work (FYI, I hope to have a big fun post on that topic in a few days ;)).

Virginia used to have one M license that covered everything. I got my M license in 2011 taking a 3-wheel course on a Spyder (Evergreen Motorcycle Training offered a class comparable to the MSF BRC). By Virginia law, I had a motorcycle license, I could legally operate two-wheels just the same as a Spyder (or conventional trike, or hack-- note, a hack doesn't ride like a Spyder either!).

In 2013, Virginia switched to three separate licenses: M, M2 and M3. M2 allows you to ride two-wheels, M3 allows three, and M allows both (you need to pass both a separate 2-wheel and a 3-wheel course/test, however).

Personally, I think that's overkill-- again, IMO M2 should cover bikes *and* trikes-- but that's the way the law works, so there ya go.

Bottom line: I support distinct licensing, at least in part, and I'd rather have the cumbersome distinct licensing like they have in Virginia versus no distinctions at all.

More to come on this, hopefully this weekend :doorag::D

hulksdaddy
07-11-2014, 01:13 PM
BRP and CT DMV rep are now talking one on one about the 2 free loaners from BRP and I assume setting up a 3 wheel program also. Hopefully we'll have an agreement soon.
More later

I'm in Norwalk CT, and currently operating with a permit. The permit is good for 60 days, and I can renew it for an additional 60 days one time per calender year. Hopefully, by time I have to actually get the endorsement, the 3-wheeler test will be available.

Will be closely watching this thread, and big thanks to mindman for starting this, and keeping on it! :thumbup:

mindman
10-01-2014, 09:57 AM
I got independent confirmation on the 3 wheel specific licensing from my dealer today. According to him:
A). It is going to happen next year
B). Mike's famous HARLEY DAVIDSON in New London will be the first (and currently only) site doing the training/testing. They have already received training on the 3-wheel training material and are working with CT DMV to set up the course.

Mike's does sell Spyders as well as Harleys, so from the State's perspective I can understand going with a dealer that sells Tri-Glides and Spyders. Hope there are more sites including the State's 2 year community college system to come. The issue will be - can they modify the current 2-wheeler sites to accommodate the course, and of course class scheduling so as not to make 2 wheel classes less available.

I also had previous confirmation from BRP on the licensing side that this was happening, but it's great to have independent confirmation. Right now BRP is waiting for a proposal from the state covering the free loaners.

More as this progresses.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
​But Vermont had the same dilemma and woke up and changed their regs to allow a THREE wheel license only Option......Of course if you already have a MTC endorsement that will also cover the Spyder because it is LEGALLY a MTC.......Just thought you might like to know this ...........................The info is available thru VTDMV REGS ..........Mike

mindman
10-01-2014, 02:14 PM
​But Vermont had the same dilemma and woke up and changed their regs to allow a THREE wheel license only Option......Of course if you already have a MTC endorsement that will also cover the Spyder because it is LEGALLY a MTC.......Just thought you might like to know this ...........................The info is available thru VTDMV REGS ..........Mike

Hi Mike....yep! I understand the situation. I have my M/C endorsement. I started pursuing this in late 2010 for my wife, and others like her that can't / don't want to learn on a 2-wheeler. My wife has bad knees and in no way could support a 2-wheeler with her legs. While many aspects of piloting a Spyder are the same as a 2-wheeler - things like lane positioning for visibility etc., the physical requirements are less for a spyder - specifically the leg strength and sense of balance required. It ONLY took 4 years for our state to get the message. I'm sure it's not due to only my efforts, but the growing cry from many prospective 3-wheel owners over the years.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Hi Mike....yep! I understand the situation. I have my M/C endorsement. I started pursuing this in late 2010 for my wife, and others like her that can't / don't want to learn on a 2-wheeler. My wife has bad knees and in no way could support a 2-wheeler with her legs. While many aspects of piloting a Spyder are the same as a 2-wheeler - things like lane positioning for visibility etc., the physical requirements are less for a spyder - specifically the leg strength and sense of balance required. It ONLY took 4 years for our state to get the message. I'm sure it's not due to only my efforts, but the growing cry from many prospective 3-wheel owners over the years....................Sometimes States like to see how other States have come up with WORKING LANGUAGE that meets criteria for their purpose.......just sayin....Mike :thumbup:

mcpjan
10-02-2014, 05:30 AM

Yes, here in PA the course is free but the trainee must provide the 3 wheeler to take it. I have my 2 wheel license for 15+ years. I am taking the 3 wheel course in a few weeks. PA also offers this course to out of state riders for 200.00 dollars. It never hurts to have more knowledge and practice.

Dan McNally
10-02-2014, 06:27 AM
WV also has the three wheel endorsement, but if you have a motorcycle license you can ride a Spyder with it. They also waive the road test if someone passes the MSF class. When I got my Spyder, I realized how different it was from my two-wheel experience and wanted to take a safety class. MSF only offered a two wheel class, and when I called them to see if I could use my Spyder in that class, the response was no.

I practiced with it until I could pass the state test for my endorsement, and then I scheduled myself for an out-of-state safety class for trikes, and spent four nights in a motel in Virginia, while taking a three day trike class offered by a traning facility that was associated with Evergreen, but is also now part of MSF. I learned a LOT about my Spyder and strongly suggest folks take a good training class targeted for what they are riding . . . even old dogs can learn new tricks!

When I got home, I started working with my State Delegate and he got the DMV to change it's policy, whereby they would recognize out-of-state safety courses for the license waiver, allowing trike folks around here to go where the trike classes are offered.

I don't feel an automobile driver's license is sufficient to ride a Spyder . . . it isn't a two-wheeler, either, although someone with two-wheel experience is aware of some of the many differences between being in the wind or in a cage.

You can't know too much about safe riding practices . . . IMHO

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Do you really believe it should be easier to allow someone on the road? a spyder can tip, it may be hard but in
a crash it can happen, in an emergency situation people may not react correctly on a bike & will probably only
hurt themselves. By making it a car license in order to ride what happens with the shmuck who rents one & then
finds out it's not a car?
How many 18 year olds think they know how to drift & wake up in a hospital e.r. finding out they are wrong?

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Do you really believe it should be easier to allow someone on the road? a spyder can tip, it may be hard but in
a crash it can happen, in an emergency situation people may not react correctly on a bike & will probably only
hurt themselves. By making it a car license in order to ride what happens with the shmuck who rents one & then
finds out it's not a car?
How many 18 year olds think they know how to drift & wake up in a hospital e.r. finding out they are wrong?
:hun:.....​Mr.Spiderman you are not up to speed on this thread.......It is now the CONSENSUS that there should be a SEPARATE 3 wheel LICENSE available ......If you already have a MTC. license you are good to go ,but some three wheel training is recommended ........IMHO........Mike :thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-02-2014, 09:05 AM
o, o, thanks for clearing that up for me. my apologies to the schmucks.:banghead:

mindman
02-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi All!
Thought I'd pass this along to you. A bill was RAISED on the 18th for this legislative session. It is only beginning the process but everything I hear is positive. Public hearings is the next step. The gist of the bill is that:

It defines something called an autocycle which I assume is intended to cover the new Polaris Slingshot and future similar vehicles.
It changes the wording around the requirements for a motorcycle license to include taking a MSF course geared toward 3-wheelers, and granting a Motorcycle 3 wheel only endorsement.
It does allow for Private companies to offer the course as long as the course and company are approved by the DMV.
If you go through the bill, the blue text documents what is being changed.

Here's a link to the bill.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=SB00936&which_year=2015

Lets hope this thing passes soon. It's about time !!

NicotineJesus
02-26-2015, 10:16 AM
This seems like a move in the right direction, some DMV branches have received revised licensing applications in their supply orders. The backs of the revised 229 & 229A list a "3" restriction for "Three Wheel Motorcycle Only". An observant agent happened to spot the change. No other information has yet to be passed down to the branches. But if the print shop is already printing new forms then they must think it will happen. Also the M/C manual now contains a section on Three Wheeled Bikes. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf

mcpjan
02-26-2015, 10:51 AM

I have taken both the 2 wheel and 3 wheel MSF. Here in PA if you only take the 3 wheeler MSF your motorcycle endorsement is limited to 3 wheelers but if you take the 2 wheeler MSF you are good for both. I have been riding 2 wheelers for years but took the 3 wheeler course to be safer on my Spyder. There was a big difference and would highly suggest the course to anyone wanting to ride a 3 wheeler. And as stated above it is free here in PA for PA and only 200 for out of state riders.

NicotineJesus
02-26-2015, 11:10 AM
I have taken both the 2 wheel and 3 wheel MSF. Here in PA if you only take the 3 wheeler MSF your motorcycle endorsement is limited to 3 wheelers but if you take the 2 wheeler MSF you are good for both. I have been riding 2 wheelers for years but took the 3 wheeler course to be safer on my Spyder. There was a big difference and would highly suggest the course to anyone wanting to ride a 3 wheeler. And as stated above it is free here in PA for PA and only 200 for out of state riders.

Out of state MSF courses aren't accepted in CT. The ONLY exception is the MSF course run for active military personnel. Just putting that out there for any CT riders here looking for their family members.

cygnus
02-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Hi all
Ride Ct ,Ride New England has a write up .
It's stating the slingshot would still be excluded in current language .
That it was written largely for the Elio , an enclosed 3 wheeler. .
They contacted the bill creator.
It sounds like they'll be reviewing , the polaris hadn't been in the sights
So wondering if the spider will end up reclassified as an autocycle.
I currently have the mc endorsement .
Please do a search for autocycle ct , it will pop up.
Burr my new 14 st s , still sitting waiting
Hope this helps
Jody k , clinton ct

NicotineJesus
02-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Spyders are specifically listed as motorcycles by the DMV. In fact Spyders and Harley trikes are the only three wheeled bikesthat do not have to specifically go to Wethersfield for a VIN check when coming in from out of state. They can go to any emissions station to have the VIN inspected.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
02-27-2015, 08:21 AM
i would still like stricter requirements for all types of motorized vehicles, people with suv's should be trained
not to stop in the middle of train crossings, 2 wheel mc's should learn not to pass on the left of the left lane
on the interboro pkwy. & :spyder2:'s should learn which finger to use when they wave at harley's & perhaps
illegals should not be given a license at all.

ThreeWheels
05-06-2015, 08:21 PM
I truly believe the 3 wheel endorsement is the way to go in lieu of a MC Endorsement.

I am aware of the 3 wheel course for the MSF. I spoke to Pat Cruess on Saturday about this. He is an instructor for MSF at Tunxis. He is the guy who pushed successfully for a Scooter course. He sees the need for 3 wheel course. I hope he can push on that end.

Earlier this week Pat told me that there will be a 3 wheel endorsement starting very soon.

NicotineJesus
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Earlier this week Pat told me that there will be a 3 wheel endorsement starting very soon.

Thanks for that info. I recently asked two of the guys involved on the DMV side and both just shrugged their shoulders....I guess I'm not high enough up on the food chain.

NicotineJesus
05-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Also read this:

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=13062

and

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=13052

Progress moves at half the speed of smell in our little state.

Vidman
05-16-2015, 09:10 PM
I heard from Pat Cruess tonight that the 3 wheel endorsement will take effect on July 1st. That is the info he has.

Bfromla
05-16-2015, 09:53 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107625&stc=1 (American bikers active toward education) great group & good @ legal missions like what your stating.:firstplace:

http://www.bikerrogue.com/articles/biker_rights/history_of_abate/history_of_abate.htm

NicotineJesus
05-27-2015, 04:15 PM
I heard from Pat Cruess tonight that the 3 wheel endorsement will take effect on July 1st. That is the info he has.

Makes sense that we the ones who will actually be working with the new program will be the last to hear anything. Freakin Connecticut!:banghead:

mindman
06-25-2015, 03:13 PM
I received this email from the Connecticut DOT today:
It ONLY TOOK 4 YEARS, BUT WE GOT IT DONE !!!!
My wife is sending in her registration form today

"I know that it has been some time since we first made contact regarding licensing and training on three wheel vehicles. I am really happy to let you know that Public Act 15-46 has (takes effect July 1st) allowed for training and licensing on three wheeled vehicles. The Connecticut Rider Education Program will be offering this training at Gateway Community College in North Haven CT. The first class is scheduled for a start Date of July 22nd, in case you or your wife are interested in signing up. I have provided a link to their website below, you may not see the class listed yet however if you give them a call they will let you know.
http://www.gatewayct.edu/Offices-Departments/Continuing-Education-Workforce-Development/Continuing-Education-Community-Services/Motorcycle-Rider-Program
Sincerely,

Nicholas P Just
Motorcycle Safety/CONREP
CT Department of Transportation
Division of Highway Safety
2800 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06131-7546
Telephone (860) 594-2369
Email Nicholas.Just@ct.gov
www.ride4ever.org"

Vidman
06-30-2015, 05:49 PM
I received this email from the Connecticut DOT today:
It ONLY TOOK 4 YEARS, BUT WE GOT IT DONE !!!!
My wife is sending in her registration form today

"I know that it has been some time since we first made contact regarding licensing and training on three wheel vehicles. I am really happy to let you know that Public Act 15-46 has (takes effect July 1st) allowed for training and licensing on three wheeled vehicles. The Connecticut Rider Education Program will be offering this training at Gateway Community College in North Haven CT. The first class is scheduled for a start Date of July 22nd, in case you or your wife are interested in signing up. I have provided a link to their website below, you may not see the class listed yet however if you give them a call they will let you know.
http://www.gatewayct.edu/Offices-Departments/Continuing-Education-Workforce-Development/Continuing-Education-Community-Services/Motorcycle-Rider-Program
Sincerely,

Nicholas P Just

Motorcycle Safety/CONREP
CT Department of Transportation
Division of Highway Safety
2800 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06131-7546
Telephone (860) 594-2369
Email Nicholas.Just@ct.gov
www.ride4ever.org"

This is awesome. Thank you and all those involved for their hard work.

gkamer
06-30-2015, 06:44 PM
lived there for 9 years but did not get the roadster till we got to San Diego. As you know here you just need a drivers licence. I have a motorcycle one as well alway have. Curious though, if in a state requiring an endorsement or motorcycle license how would they deal with a CA driver with auto license only..??

As far as I know, as long as you are not a resident of that state and lawfully licensed in your state of residence, your CA license will suffice. If your legal state of residence does not require a specific endorsement the "visited" state will respect that.

NicotineJesus
07-02-2015, 07:04 PM
PA 15-46-- "Motorcycles have two or three wheels, handlebars and a seat that is straddled. Autocycles have three wheels and are fully or partially enclosed, and have a steering wheel, foot pedals and seat belts. A person with an "M" endorsement may ride motorcycles with 2 or 3 wheels. A person who only wants to ride a three-wheeled motorcycle can take a three-wheeled motorcycle class, and have a restriction on his or her "M" endorsement. This will be designated as "M3". Autocycles do not require any endorsement. Both motorcycles and Autocycles will be registered with motorcycle plates. An example of a three-wheeled motorcycle is a Can-Am Spyder.
An example of an autocycle is a Polaris Slingshot. There are other makers of Autocycles,such as Elio, that do not yet have a manufacturer's license in CT"