PDA

View Full Version : Ouestion about 2014 1330 oil change

bgame
06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I know there are 2 oil plugs on the 1330. One for the engine oil and one for the trany. Now my question is... why drain the oil out of the engine? The way I see it the trany plug is lower than the engine plug and I understand this is all one oil system.... If all the oil will come out of the trany plug there should be no need to undo the engine drain plug and save on the price of the o-rings... Just a thought. I think when I do my first oil change I will try this and see if all the oil comes out the trany plug...

BajaRon
06-23-2014, 02:42 PM
I know there are 2 oil plugs on the 1330. One for the engine oil and one for the trany. Now my question is... why drain the oil out of the engine? The way I see it the trany plug is lower than the engine plug and I understand this is all one oil system.... If all the oil will come out of the trany plug there should be no need to undo the engine drain plug and save on the price of the o-rings... Just a thought. I think when I do my first oil change I will try this and see if all the oil comes out the trany plug...

Have not done an oil change on the 1330. But it is almost certain that though these 2 functions run the same lubricant there is internal compartmentalization. If you don't pull both plugs you'll be leaving a substantial amount of oil in one or the other compartment.

This is easily verified. How much oil does the 1330 engine hold? Pull one plug and see how much oil you get. I'll bet it isn't anywhere near the total amount.

bgame
06-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Have not done an oil change on the 1330. But it is almost certain that though these 2 functions run the same lubricant there is internal compartmentalization. If you don't pull both plugs you'll be leaving a substantial amount of oil in one or the other compartment.

This is easily verified. How much oil does the 1330 engine hold? Pull one plug and see how much oil you get. I'll bet it isn't anywhere near the total amount.

But the trany plug is lower than the oil plug... that is why I asked if this plug is the only one that can be used will it drain all the oil. Just makes sense to me. Oil will drain to it's lowest point.

Chupaca
06-23-2014, 03:15 PM
they will have baffling to hold the oil where it is needed. Oil pump for one so not all the oil is able to drain to the lowest point. You don't want your engine oil to be able to drain away from the oil pump when engine angle changes...but try it, it is a logical question that could use conformation...:dontknow:

ulflyer
06-23-2014, 03:27 PM
I've done 3 changes and the most oil comes out of the plug on the left...the motor plug with O Rings.....but SOME does come out of the right side trans plug....the one with a magnet. Didn't measure it but its enough I wouldnt think of not draining it.

bgame
06-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I've done 3 changes and the most oil comes out of the plug on the left...the motor plug with O Rings.....but SOME does come out of the right side trans plug....the one with a magnet. Didn't measure it but its enough I wouldnt think of not draining it.

The one with the magnet is the one I'm talking about to try and drain all the oil without taking the engine plug out. It is lower than the engine plug. We need to try and drain the magnet plug first then the engine plug last.... I'm just not at my oil change time yet.

BajaRon
06-23-2014, 06:28 PM
I might be all wrong, but from looking at the parts exploded view this engine has three gerotor oil pumps.

Suspect one is engine lubricating oil.

Suspect another is for scavenging the engine oil

Possibly the third is for pressurized gearbox stuff including the SE clutch.

The engine oil may not be draining back but is pumped back by the scavenge pump. This would also be why the manual explains to do hot oil level checks within 30 seconds or so of shutdown.

Again this may be all wrong.

PK

I'd say you are correct as this is the typical setup for a dry sump setup.

You can never get all of the oil out of an engine by draining it. There are all kinds of nooks and crannies designed in to retain oil. For example, there are usually individual tray depressions under each cam lobe which hold oil so that as soon as you crank the engine, the cam lobes are picking up oil before pressurized oil is delivered.