PDA

View Full Version : Optional Electronic "Frunk" Switch

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 12:32 PM
I have my 2014 RT-S in the shop for its 3000 mile oil/filter service today.

Also having the wonky, key operated frunk switch worked on.

I broke down and asked the dealer to order me the optional electronic frunk switch about a week ago.

I am told the part has been discontinued and the option is no longer available.

Highwayman2013
06-23-2014, 12:37 PM
You'll have to order one to "fix" your other bike and install it yourself.:rolleyes:

Bob Denman
06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
That's an idea...
I'd now have to speculate that the story of complaints to NHTSA about releasing the parking brake when trying to open the frunk; may be true... :gaah:

krazykat
06-23-2014, 12:42 PM

I broke down and asked the dealer to order me the optional electronic frunk switch about a week ago.

Read a post here earlier about a difficult frunk release being caused by the pull wire being installed upside down at the release mechanism. Checked mine and sure enough, found that exact problem. Changed it around and voila: a much easier, smoother key release of frunk.

ARtraveler
06-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Read a post here earlier about a difficult frunk release being caused by the pull wire being installed upside down at the release mechanism. Checked mine and sure enough, found that exact problem. Changed it around and voila: a much easier, smoother key release of frunk.

I was going to do it myself, but the fasteners on the cover scared me off. Could not figure how to remove them, and did not want to break anything.

I am letting my dealer take care of this "warranty issue" today.

I am very non-mechanical. :roflblack:

bcoulter19
06-23-2014, 01:37 PM
That is one of my favorite things on my 2013 RT-S.

gonker
07-25-2014, 06:39 PM
I ordered my electrc release when I picked up the 2014RTS. Haven't put it in yet, been busy riding. If the button color is blue I will have one for sale. Someone I know ordered one for his 2013 and they sent him a blue one. Looks stupid on his all amber dash and controls. So he had to deal with BRP to get the right one. After some calls and arguments they finally made it right.

Jim&Teresa
07-25-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks for your update :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I gave up awhile back on the electronic frunk switch. I "thought" that you could only operate the key switch unlock with the engine off ! Another Spyderlover (PW2013STL (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?12009-PW2013STL)) informed me that you can use the key unlock for the seat and frunk with it's still running -- wow! What was I thinking -- no one told me this before :opps::opps::opps::opps::opps: Since I had the electronic one on the 2012 RT Limited -- I never thought of that.

I'm thankful I have a 2014 RT even without the electronic frunk switch -- it's an AWESOME machine! Can't stop smilin' :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dadof4
07-25-2014, 08:17 PM
On my 2010 RT I would frequently forget to use the frunk switch before I turned the engine off. Therefor my choices were to restart the engine or use the key. I would always use the key, so in my case the lack of the frunk switch in my 2014 RT is not an issue.