PDA

View Full Version : Oil Levels/check

ChicoFowler
06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
I picked up a 2014 RT Limited at Spyder Fest, trading in my 2012 RTS.
Getting ready for a 3000 mile trip to the east coast and back. Doing some maintenance checks on the bike and I noticed that the oil level "seems" to be low. Don't know about anyone else, but the dip stick is hard to read, since the oil is so clean.....anyway it appears to be right below the minimum mark. Now my 2012, except for the regular maintenance checks, I never had to add oil. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanical guy, and this may be obvious to some, but it seems my new Limited, with only 800 miles on it, should not be low on oil???
I plan to take a quart or 2 of oil with me, just as a precaution. What say you? And thanks.....

JustDennis
06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Not unusual for a new machine to be a little low after 800 miles. Just keep an eye on it

krazykat
06-23-2014, 12:36 PM
I picked up a 2014 RT Limited at Spyder Fest, trading in my 2012 RTS.
Getting ready for a 3000 mile trip to the east coast and back. Doing some maintenance checks on the bike and I noticed that the oil level "seems" to be low. Don't know about anyone else, but the dip stick is hard to read, since the oil is so clean.....anyway it appears to be right below the minimum mark. Now my 2012, except for the regular maintenance checks, I never had to add oil. As you can tell, I'm not a mechanical guy, and this may be obvious to some, but it seems my new Limited, with only 800 miles on it, should not be low on oil???
I plan to take a quart or 2 of oil with me, just as a precaution. What say you? And thanks.....

Yes it is a little difficult to read the stick. If you tilt it just right, you can see the "shine" of the oil in the stick. But was it full up when you picked it up from dealer? when I picked up my new 2014 RT Ltd from my dealer last month, I also found oil level was down almost to the add mark. Took it back to dealer and was told if they find it above the add mark, it is considered OK. I said no way, that is removing the margin of safety required to assure safe operation. They topped if off and I haven't had any problem to this date and 400 miles. It is at top knob of stick and hasn't budged. Take it back and have them top off and show you how to check oil.

Bob Denman
06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
:agree: It doesn't hurt to let them take another look at it, and review the procedure with you...
Have a fun and safe trip! :2thumbs:

Jim&Teresa
06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Here's what I do...FYI:

Insure your machine is well warmed up after a good ride. Park it and let it idle for 30 seconds.

That's enough time to get a paper towel. Then I shut it off and wait a few seconds.

Pull the dipstick and wipe it off - don't check it at this point.

Then with a clean dipstick, screw it all the way in, and pull out to check oil level. When it's so clean. I fold the paper towel and lay the dipstick carefully horizontally on the towel and see where the oil wets out. Easy to see the oil level area on the stick that way. :thumbup:

BTW...I am assuming you are seeing no oil leaks under your machine - right. If so, have the dealer check that as well! Good luck!

I am taking my 2014 RT L in for the first service this week and it's still near the oil full mark. :D I check it after every long ryde!

The 2014 RT is an AWESOME machine! :firstplace: It's a keeper! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

cbell1
06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
My 2014 RT has indicated just over the full mark from day 1 that I brought it home and I now have over 3000 miles on it. Much better than my 2013 RTL that needed more than 2 quarts added in the 3700 miles that I owned it.

ulflyer
06-23-2014, 03:48 PM
My '14 oil level can be tested cold no matter what the book says! I've checked it many times both hot and cold and it reads the same...or so much so that's its hard to tell the diff.

Go to Walmart, pick up a qt of motorcycle oil and top it off. No need to run to dealer.

SpyderAnn01
06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
It is pretty doubtful that you would need more than a quart (or part of a quart) on your trip. I'd top it off now and take the remainder of the quart with me. No need to take up a lot of cargo space for a second quart.

Chupaca
06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Always good to check level on a new motor. After the break in period this levels off and you should not have a problem. Hope you have a great trip, be safe and enjoy the ryde...!! :ohyea::ohyea:

bgame
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
My '14 oil level can be tested cold no matter what the book says! I've checked it many times both hot and cold and it reads the same...or so much so that's its hard to tell the diff.

Go to Walmart, pick up a qt of motorcycle oil and top it off. No need to run to dealer.

Same here... hot or cold same level

finless
06-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I am still burning a little under a quart every 4K miles. No leaks and I have checked.
Been this way since the day I got my spyder with 450 miles on it (used).
No issues just burns a little oil.
Probably due to getting stuck in stop and go for about 15 miles out of 64 miles commute each day.
Exhaust pipe is clean so it's burning it real slowly.

I have to do some maintenance soon and I plan to check the air box for oil this time. I just hit 8,000 miles today.

Bob

dndfindley
06-23-2014, 11:20 PM
I am still burning a little under a quart every 4K miles. No leaks and I have checked.
Been this way since the day I got my spyder with 450 miles on it (used).
No issues just burns a little oil.
Probably due to getting stuck in stop and go for about 15 miles out of 64 miles commute each day.
Exhaust pipe is clean so it's burning it real slowly.

I have to do some maintenance soon and I plan to check the air box for oil this time. I just hit 8,000 miles today.

Bob

Sounds like me. I have a 2012 RT purchased new and it uses oil. No leaks, not a drop, but I have 8500 miles on it and I have added almost 2 qts during that time in between oil changes which are done at the dealer. Otherwise the machine hasn't given me a bit of trouble.