PDA

View Full Version : Dual Cigarette Lighter on a 2012 RS

sypderrobinson134
06-22-2014, 05:55 PM
What you need:

A Dual Cigarette lighter insert, most of the time can be bought at your local Walmart.
10-20 Feet of Auto wire, also available at Walmart
Electric Tape
10mm Socket and open face Wrench
Preferred mounted system (I used industrial Velcro)

First you'll want to cut the wire to the desired length based on where you want the lighter to sit. I put mine in the frunk so for the purposes of this explanation that's where we're going. Make sure that the wire is long enough to reach from the battery terminal to where ever you want to mount it in.

Strip the wires so that you have exposed areas on both ends. The positive works best if you can attach it to a small fork to tighten into the positive side of the battery.

Find a place to ground the wire. I couldn't do it on the battery due to the fact that I couldn't get the screw completely loose. Once you get it grounded to a metal side proceed to attach the positive side using the previously mentioned method of a fork. To do this loosen the positive bolt using a 10mm open wrench just enough and secure the fork into the back behind the battery wire then tighten it back down.

Once they are mounted to the battery set up the Cigarette charger and attach the appropriate positive and negatives. You can run the wires along the side of the vents to hide the wire. Now once you get to the frunk it gets a little hairy. I have a slit in my seal, not sure if everyone has this or not I've never noticed. But what I did was ran the negative wire over and it met with the positive and we stuck it in that seal. Then we ran the lighter down mounted it using Velcro and it looks like nothing is there until you open the trunk.

I hope this is detailed enough, it is my first explanation so if you have any issues or something I may be able to help you understand leave a comment.