PDA

View Full Version : The new Arachnid tire

Questions
06-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Just got word from my dealer that he won't mount the Arachnid rear tire on my 2014 RT. He found out that the load rating is not sufficient for the weight of the RT. And I had already made an appointment and paid for the tire. We will now mount a car tire. ( Could that be why Lamonster took his off. ?)
Could it be a bit too flexible in the sidewall. Just saying.

wyliec
06-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Just got word from my dealer that he won't mount the Arachnid rear tire on my 2014 RT. He found out that the load rating is not sufficient for the weight of the RT. And I had already made an appointment and paid for the tire. We will now mount a car tire. ( Could that be why Lamonster took his off. ?)
Could it be a bit too flexible in the sidewall. Just saying.

You can find out why Lamont removed his in this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68304-ARACHNID-RATINGS-ARE-HERE-!!!/page3

Check out post #58.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2014, 08:01 PM
I have no dog in this hunt ....However I do have an opinion based on what has already transpired and some knowledge of tires and our Spyders......IMHO The people who designed this tire used the KENDA as the model............after-all it's the only MTC tire certified for the Spyder.......But in real LIFE the Spyder is a 3 wheel car because if you really , really think it's a MTC . just try driving it like one and have on lots of " body armor " and a d*mn good helmet .....because you headed for a Ditch.......So the " ARACHNID " people used the KENDA as their model...................Well the KENDA is on the Bottom of the tire pile as far as I'm concerned ....and I'll challenge anyone to prove otherwise .............the " ARACHNID " people even went with 2 PLYS just like KENDA..............big mis-take IMHO.........and this has been reported more than once .....their tire seems to slip on the rim...........The only way that I can credit that to is one of the " MOLDS " they are using is very slightly to large...............There has a lot of controversy about using car tires on large Cruiser Type Mtc's .........and I agree they should not ......Two wheel MTC's have to lean and this causes the bike to ride on the edges of the tires ......Car tires arn't meant to do this........Spyder's don't ride like MTC's ......they DON"T LEAN...............They ride flat like a CAR...............So putting a CAR tire on a Spyder is something everyone should give honest consideration to.....................End of speech..........................Mikeguyver..:thumb up:

freebob
06-21-2014, 09:08 PM
I have no dog in this hunt ....However I do have an opinion based on what has already transpired and some knowledge of tires and our Spyders......IMHO The people who designed this tire used the KENDA as the model............after-all it's the only MTC tire certified for the Spyder.......But in real LIFE the Spyder is a 3 wheel car because if you really , really think it's a MTC . just try driving it like one and have on lots of " body armor " and a d*mn good helmet .....because you headed for a Ditch.......So the " ARACHNID " people used the KENDA as their model...................Well the KENDA is on the Bottom of the tire pile as far as I'm concerned ....and I'll challenge anyone to prove otherwise .............the " ARACHNID " people even went with 2 PLYS just like KENDA..............big mis-take IMHO.........and this has been reported more than once .....their tire seems to slip on the rim...........The only way that I can credit that to is one of the " MOLDS " they are using is very slightly to large...............There has a lot of controversy about using car tires on large Cruiser Type Mtc's .........and I agree they should not ......Two wheel MTC's have lean and this causes the bike to ride on the edges of the tires ......Car tires arn't meant to do this........Spyder's don't ride like MTC's ......they DON"T LEAN...............They ride flat like a CAR...............So putting a CAR tire on a Spyder is something everyone should give honest consideration to.....................End of speech..........................Mikeguyver..:thumb up:

Bless You....:agree:...A good Speed/Load /Traction auto tire is the only safe tire for Spyder......My best performance has been with
KUHMO's...

Freebob...:doorag:

Chupaca
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
have had no problems with Kenda so I will walk away from this one...:bdh:

otter28169
06-21-2014, 11:39 PM
I put 4000 miles on the kenda before it was significantly worn. I bought a falken that I ran at 40psi for 6000 miles with minimal wear. I dropped the pressure to 32psi, doing a little research, and within 2500 miles I have had severe wear. I am going to buy another car tire and run it north of 40psi for a while and see how long it lasts. Just a little background: I am 260 lbs, and travel at an "above average" rate of speed, travel some rough back roads but only minimal highway miles, and often carry passengers. I will post more information after more testing. Just sayin'...........

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2014, 11:42 PM
have had no problems with Kenda so I will walk away from this one...:bdh:

I haven't either, other than very short lifespan...................All my car tires ( on Spyders ) have shown just the opposite. And my post here really had to do with " ARACHNID " tires..Mikeguyver :thumbup:

vtrider
06-22-2014, 02:26 AM
I have no problem with the Kenda, but the price of the tire and the fact that they wear out sooner than I would like to see on a tire, is why I'm going with a Kuhmo AST car tire when I get my rear tire replaced. I ran these on my 2008 GS and have had good results with them. Also, at $81.00 it's a good bargain! http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sortBy=prca&ar=50&fqs=true&rd=15&sw=false&cs=225

missouriboy
06-22-2014, 06:28 AM
YUP! I got my KUMHO ECSTA AST in March for $82 plus tax at Discount Tire. I only have 3000 miles so far, no noticeable wear yet, and performance is just fine. I had it mounted at my dealer and I don't know what they did for balancing, if anything, but it runs smooth as silk, even at 100+mph.

And the load rating is 91H... :D

Omcge
06-22-2014, 10:43 AM
YUP! I got my KUMHO ECSTA AST in March for $82 plus tax at Discount Tire. I only have 3000 miles so far, no noticeable wear yet, and performance is just fine. I had it mounted at my dealer and I don't know what they did for balancing, if anything, but it runs smooth as silk, even at 100+mph.

And the load rating is 91H... :D

Is the Kumo a 2 ply or 4?

freebob
06-22-2014, 11:32 AM

KUHMO AST...Is Thread 2 steel 1 polyester 1 nylon = 4 ply, 91h wt rating, 400 thread wear...

Freebob...:doorag:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2014, 11:48 AM

:gaah:........Now you have my attention.............What Kumho Car tire is ....TWO PLY ? ? ?............I don't believe it exists ! ! !....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Questions
06-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I totally agree with Blueknight911 that the Spyder does not lean and should therefore be fitted with a tire that is not designed to lean. :yes::yes::yes::yes: