PDA

View Full Version : tire pressures

ponyexp
06-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Today the old guy learned something. I've got a pretty accurate digital air tester which I got as a gift. I took my time and got both front tires at exactlly 21.5 . I was surprised at the improvement. They were off originally about a pound. Took a while for the old guy to get his act together, but he got it right.
Have a safe ride
Denny:yes:

SpyderAnn01
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Great, now to get it exact every time you need to order the thingy from JThornton that you attach to both front tires at the same time. It will equalize the pressure between both tires. It is slick.

BobnDee
06-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Today the old guy learned something. I've got a pretty accurate digital air tester which I got as a gift. I took my time and got both front tires at exactlly 21.5 . I was surprised at the improvement. They were off originally about a pound. Took a while for the old guy to get his act together, but he got it right.
Have a safe ride
Denny:yes:

Only one psi and a "surprised improvement". :shocked: Was it really that noticeable? I've been thinking of doing the same on my 2014 RT-S, which I keep at 20psi. The reason is I have no problem with the steering in "normal" curves, but as speed and curvature increase steering seems to wallow and tends to either over or under correct (very sensitive). It makes sense that a stiffer side wall would "crisp" up the steering.
Has any one else tried this and with what results?

Bob & SpyDee

MidTNDawg
06-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Only one psi and a "surprised improvement". :shocked: Was it really that noticeable? I've been thinking of doing the same on my 2014 RT-S, which I keep at 20psi. The reason is I have no problem with the steering in "normal" curves, but as speed and curvature increase steering seems to wallow and tends to either over or under correct (very sensitive). It makes sense that a stiffer side wall would "crisp" up the steering.
Has any one else tried this and with what results?

Bob & SpyDee

I am thinking it is a lack of shock spring pre-load on my 2014.

BobnDee
06-25-2014, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=MidTNDawg;830261]I am thinking it is a lack of shock spring pre-load on
them .

What I learned so far from this site and trial & error
1. The stock Kenda tires only have a one ply side wall. While that may work for a two wheel motorcycle tire, it certainly will have a difficult time dealing with the lateral forces generated by a Spyder.
2. More air pressure can help stiffen the front tires - to a point. The Owners Manual recommends 18-22 psi. I now have 22 psi and it did help, since the Spyder was originally delivered with 18 psi. BTW the tires are labeled for a min. of 15 psi and a maximum of 30 psi. So there may be some additional pressure possibilities with increased center tire wear and some loss of edge traction.
3. The 2014 RT's generally handle better than previous stock models and this, with a little higher air pressure up front may good enough for some folk.
4. The next step generally involves a RonBar, but it could also involve "car tires" with stiffer, multiple ply side walls as an intermediate step. Either or both of these solutions could make most people happy.
5. Last, and most expensive, is the shock and spring upgrade.

Any other thoughts on the above????

Bob & SpyDee

Bob Denman
06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Glad to hear that, The Schoolin'; is paying off! :clap: :2thumbs:

sddinnh
06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
I've been all the way up to 30 psi and what I've found is that although it does stiffen the sidewalls some, it does not cure the roll and it gives a very rough ride at those higher settings. I've since dropped back to 26 psi as kind of medium between handling and ride. I've done to ron bar so the next step for me is shocks.

vided
06-25-2014, 03:17 PM
The sticker under the seat says 15psi in front and 28 rear. When I picked :spyder2: Up the dealer pointed the sticker out to me when I asked about tire pressures.
What do I do? Help. :banghead:

2013 stl

granpa in Cincy
06-25-2014, 06:45 PM
The sticker under the seat says 15psi in front and 28 rear. When I picked :spyder2: Up the dealer pointed the sticker out to me when I asked about tire pressures.
What do I do? Help. :banghead:

2013 stl

Ignore the sticker and try different pressures. Start at 20 lbs. and go up down from there.nojoke

Flash Gordon
06-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I have kept my front at 19 and the rear at 28. I also have the Ron Bar, and I think it handles great. I don't think you need more than 20Psi in the front tires on the 2014 RT. JMO