PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter for 2014 RTS

cohoff
06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
I dropped my 2014 RTS off at the dealer yesterday for its 3000 mile service. Just got a call from the service department.....he said his parts department was told that the oil filters for the 2014 RTs have not been made available yet for distribution. So he cannot do a complete service on my Spyder. He couldn't figure out what was going on with BRP and why he can't get the oil filters. I know there are other owners out there that have already had their first service. Was your dealer able to get the oil filter?

SpyderAnn01
06-20-2014, 05:38 PM
When I did my first oil change my dealer had the filter but not the orings. They have them but not the "kits" that come with all the parts.

Bob Denman
06-20-2014, 05:43 PM
So what are our high-mileage foiks doing about this? :dontknow:
I'm still a thousand miles, and perhaps a Month away; from having to face this dilemma personally... :shocked:

SpyderAnn01
06-20-2014, 05:47 PM
So what are our high-mileage foiks doing about this? :dontknow:
I'm still a thousand miles, and perhaps a Month away; from having to face this dilemma personally... :shocked:

I'll be ready for oil change #2 after Durango, I'll let you know if they still have filters at my dealer.

Bob Denman
06-20-2014, 06:09 PM
:shocked: I may have to see if you could pick me up a filter and get it to me...

Chupaca
06-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Parts have always been a problem. Check cheapcycleparts.com and stock up. When you go in for service take the parts so you get a complete service. Brp seems to have some flakey suppliers....:gaah:

garb55
06-20-2014, 09:41 PM
I did my first oil change at 3200 miles
I called my dealer [250 miles away] and had him ship me the filter and O rings and washers
I have since purchased 2 more oil filters from my dealer for future use
I suggest you call your dealer ahead of time and make sure they have the parts or find another dealer
Don

BajaRon
06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1trVG5vv-1o/UPj2Cxwa3EI/AAAAAAAAAN4/SssbWTq_ev4/s1600/post_1492134_1224202798_med.jpg

Texas
06-21-2014, 12:03 AM
I dropped my 2014 RTS off at the dealer yesterday for its 3000 mile service. Just got a call from the service department.....he said his parts department was told that the oil filters for the 2014 RTs have not been made available yet for distribution. So he cannot do a complete service on my Spyder. He couldn't figure out what was going on with BRP and why he can't get the oil filters. I know there are other owners out there that have already had their first service. Was your dealer able to get the oil filter?

Sounds like someone is either pulling your chain, or just doesn't know what he's doing. I'd find another dealer; as if it were me, they would have just lost my trust. I purchased everything I needed from one of my dealers here in Austin, way back at the end of February. You can see my post in early March where I did my own oil change:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64329-2014-Spyder-RT-Oil-Change

cohoff
06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
My dealer, High Country Harley in Cheyenne, WY is top notch and there is no need for me to find another dealer. I called Can Am dealers in Iowa and Colorado and they don't have the oil filters either. So I know my dealer isn't BS'ing me. I then called a large dealer in South Dakota and they have them. I'm having them send a couple oil filters for me to my dealer in WY. I do not know why some dealers are able to get them and others are not. But my dealer didn't get their first 2014 Spyder until May. By then everyone in warmer climates have already put on enough miles for one or two oil changes. The only thing I can think is that maybe since dealers on the east coast and southern states got their spyders first they got the supply of parts first. I'm just glad I was able to find the oil filter.

ulflyer
06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
I picked up a couple filters from my dealer in late Feb!

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Okay, I missed this post. :yikes:

I ran into the same situation yesterday. (6/23/14).

The dealer could not perform the required 3000 mile oil change/filter service because they did not have any filters.

What really pulled my chain here is that they did not tell me about the situation when I made the appointment a week or more ago. I did have some lights installed so that part was completed.

RANT: HOW CAN A COMPANY IN GOOD FAITH SELL A $30k MACHINE AND NOT HAVE A REQUIRED PART LIKE OIL FILTERS FOR USE BY THE OWNERS?

MANY OF US LIVE IN PARTS OF THE COUNTRY WHERE THE RIDING SEASON IS LIMITED. HERE ITS 6 MONTHS TOPS. I ALREADY HAVE 3K MILES SINCE APRIL 30TH. AM I SUPPOSED TO PARK MY NEW MACHINE AND FORGET ABOUT RIDING BECAUSE SOMEONE SCREWED UP IN THE SUPPLY CHAIN?

DO WE RIDE EM TILL THEY BREAK?

It felt good to yell a bit. So, what are we going to do?

cohoff
06-24-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry you are having the same problem I am. I too have a very short riding season and don't want to be sidelined waiting for parts. My solution was to call around to other dealers who seemed to receive the oil filters before the backlog began.

ARtraveler
06-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Some good news. The filter outage does not appear to be an epidemic.

I am finding out that "dealers in the know" seem to have them. I ordered two of the kits from one this AM.

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 06:33 PM
I would think its up to the dealers to order stock and those without filters prob just dropped the ball. :rolleyes:

Dan McNally
06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
If you go to the BRP Parts Store, online, the oil change kits are : "Temporarily Unavailable" . . . looks like BRP is out, and perhaps the dealers are telling the truth . . .

bluestratos
06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Some dealers had small stock of separate parts but most are now out of stock. BRP still has not released the filter kits and I was told nothing will likely arrive until September. This should be grounds for legal action. In the mean while I was lucky enough to get one filter for my first change but some of my friends have not. The only recourse they will have is to just change the oil, filters last longer than the oil according to what I have read.

ulflyer
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
See post 35.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69156-Oil-Filters-Backordered-for-RT-Until-September&p=832185#post832185

Jim&Teresa
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Hello fellow Spyderlovers,
(I posted in two areas as there are at least two threads related to this...)

I had my dealer just complete my first service / oil change on my 2014 RT L. I asked when I set it up if there were any issues with parts, and the service manager said no.

He is credible! :D:thumbup: Just got home after being at the dealer for my first service. No issues whatsoever! :thumbup: NO mention of any parts (i.e. filter) for the oil change in backorder or any other issues.

As a matter of fact, while I was at the dealer, I purchased a complete set of O-rings, washers, filter, etc. for my next oil change -- all in stock. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Are all of you really going to wait the "EVERY 15 000KM (9,300MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)" to change your oil again???:shocked::dontknow:

I think I'll get it on the 5000 mile intervals from now on -- any thoughts? :dontknow::dontknow:

RDM
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Just had my 3000 mi done yesterday and dealer (ASK in Columbus, Ohio) had the filters. Service Mgr stated they stocked up in advance.

ARtraveler
06-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Hello fellow Spyderlovers,
(I posted in two areas as there are at least two threads related to this...)

I had my dealer just complete my first service / oil change on my 2014 RT L. I asked when I set it up if there were any issues with parts, and the service manager said no.

He is credible! :D:thumbup: Just got home after being at the dealer for my first service. No issues whatsoever! :thumbup: NO mention of any parts (i.e. filter) for the oil change in backorder or any other issues.

As a matter of fact, while I was at the dealer, I purchased a complete set of O-rings, washers, filter, etc. for my next oil change -- all in stock. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Are all of you really going to wait the "EVERY 15 000KM (9,300MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)" to change your oil again???:shocked::dontknow:

I think I'll get it on the 5000 mile intervals from now on -- any thoughts? :dontknow::dontknow:

A good question indeed concerning oil change intervals. A 9300 mile interval does seem long in the scheme of things. Coupled with the once a year, regardless, does seem to temper the situation though. Most riders with a short summer season are not going to encounter the 9300 miles--so there is a safety margin there.

Those of us in the high miles club may want to consider a more frequent interval.

I don't personally have the answer--just throwing some ideas out for a brainstorming session.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

SB1
06-30-2014, 05:19 PM
That's ok my dealer sold my wife a SM5 kit for my 14RTS that they sold me.