PDA

View Full Version : good place to stay in west Yellowstone?

ARCTIC
06-18-2014, 10:46 AM
We're going to finally make our trek through Yellowstone national park on the spyder. We'll be staying one or two days in west Yellowstone and I'm curious where you folks have stayed. I've only been to the Kelly inn and it looks like their summer's price is 2 1/2 times the winter rate:shocked: thanks in advance for your assistance

msj4848
06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Ive stayed at the best western weston inn. Online reviews arent the best, but I liked the place. They were among the cheapest rates we could find at the time. Its not like you get the room cuz you plan on staying in the hotel the whole time! Breakfast isnt anything special, but it isnt anything to complain about either. Clean rooms, nice staff, I'd stay there again.

ARCTIC
06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Exactly! We're just looking for clean and inexpensive.

msj4848
06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
We weren't there during the busy season though...I just looked at their website, $220-$250 a night, and lots of days they are completely booked in the next two months...it was half that much in the off season...:banghead:

finless
06-18-2014, 12:02 PM
It's an older place and not high end but my wife and I always liked the Weary Rest. It was a great price too at the time. We are not "hang out in the room" kind of people so it was just a quaint place to flop.
But it's been 18 years since we have been there.

Bob

gln2
06-18-2014, 12:57 PM
KOA 1/4 mile from entrance nice cabins Great park.

rtotten
06-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Save yourself some money and stay in Gardiner Mt. It is 60 miles North of West Yellowstone. Out of the Tourist traps, but close enough to see the sites. Gardiner has lots of Motels. Check Gardiners Chamber of Commerce's Webpage
http://www.gardinerchamber.com/index.html. Have fun and Be Safe!

Air Force PAO
06-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Artic,

Not to hijack this thread, but if you are military, there is an Air Force Family Camp two miles south of the south gate to Yellowstone. They operate 8 RV trailers for rent at a commercial campground. Information is provided by Mountain Home AFB Outdoor Recreation.

Enjoy.

GloryRyders
06-19-2014, 05:11 AM
We stayed at the Stagecoach Inn in West Yellowstone a couple of years ago...............nice place.:firstplace:

ARCTIC
06-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Artic,

Not to hijack this thread, but if you are military, there is an Air Force Family Camp two miles south of the south gate to Yellowstone. They operate 8 RV trailers for rent at a commercial campground. Information is provided by Mountain Home AFB Outdoor Recreation.

Enjoy.
I have not done the noble deed of serving so I'll have to leave a vacancy there for the ones that deserve it:2thumbs:

sledmaster
06-19-2014, 08:57 AM
I've stayed in West Yellowstone every single year since 1974 for at least a week (snowmobiling), and have stayed at many of the properties in town. One of your bigger issues is going to be availability, as you have found the rates are WAY higher in the summer than they are in the winter when we are there sledding. We now go to VRBO and rent a house or condo, but we are there for a week.

I can tell you the properties on the north side of town are older, the ones on the south side are much newer. The town did a land swap with the forest service a few years back, and all of the new stuff is on the south side. That said, you can still find good ones in the old section. We have stayed at most every one of the Best Westerns (there are like four or five) and of course the Stagecoach Inn is a classic. There is a newer Holiday Inn on the south edge, fairly new, always been good as well.

One post mentioned going to Gardner instead at the north entrance, good advice. Stayed there too. And Cooke City. And Red Lodge (Bogart's Pizza is worth the stop). I could go on and on, but we are usually there in the winter, not nearly as often in the summer. Too many people.

If possible drop over to Island Park (head west out of town on U.S. 20) and go down to Mesa Falls, on the south west side of the park, to get away from the crowds. One of my faves is Cave Falls, far south west corner, few ever go there. Here is a photo from the winter of Cave Falls, and one of the falls from inside the cave. Have fun!
90260 90261

sledmaster
06-19-2014, 09:11 AM
If at all possible, on the Beartooth Highway between Cooke City and Red Lodge is the north end of the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. These are two roads you might want to take while out there. :thumbup:
90262 90263 90264

schnauzermom
06-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Another vote for Gardiner...we have stayed in West Yellowstone several times, two years ago we decided Gardiner. Best Western....several places to eat but the best reason is we saw more animals than the crowded southern parts. Bear, wolf etc. and you HAVE to ride to Cooke City and if possible Beartooth. West Yellowstone is a short ride away to spend a day amongst the crowds and shops. I would go every year if I could. Have fun and take pictures:yes: Notice my avatar is at the entrance to Yellowstone in Gardiner with my 89yr old father in law on the back!!!

RD2-BBP
06-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Stay at this place two years ago. Great place and a lot cheaper the West Yellowstone.

ARCTIC
06-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I've stayed in West Yellowstone every single year since 1974 for at least a week (snowmobiling), and have stayed at many of the properties in town. One of your bigger issues is going to be availability, as you have found the rates are WAY higher in the summer than they are in the winter when we are there sledding. We now go to VRBO and rent a house or condo, but we are there for a week.

I can tell you the properties on the north side of town are older, the ones on the south side are much newer. The town did a land swap with the forest service a few years back, and all of the new stuff is on the south side. That said, you can still find good ones in the old section. We have stayed at most every one of the Best Westerns (there are like four or five) and of course the Stagecoach Inn is a classic. There is a newer Holiday Inn on the south edge, fairly new, always been good as well.

One post mentioned going to Gardner instead at the north entrance, good advice. Stayed there too. And Cooke City. And Red Lodge (Bogart's Pizza is worth the stop). I could go on and on, but we are usually there in the winter, not nearly as often in the summer. Too many people.

If possible drop over to Island Park (head west out of town on U.S. 20) and go down to Mesa Falls, on the south west side of the park, to get away from the crowds. One of my faves is Cave Falls, far south west corner, few ever go there. Here is a photo from the winter of Cave Falls, and one of the falls from inside the cave. Have fun!
90260 90261

I've been going for a week each winter for the last 4 years and we've only stayed at the Kelly. The stagecoach and Wild West are a favorite for after the riding is over:2thumbs:

Beartooth and chief Joseph are most definitely on the agenda. Well be riding in from the east through the big horn mountain range. We'll have 6 days total to explore the area including the tetons

sledmaster
06-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Oh you are going to have fun. The road that goes up into the Bighorns from Sheridan to Burgess Junction is going to be AWESOME, one of the scariest in a truck and sled trailer that I have ever driven. Have fun and enjoy!!!!!

ARCTIC
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Oh you are going to have fun. The road that goes up into the Bighorns from Sheridan to Burgess Junction is going to be AWESOME, one of the scariest in a truck and sled trailer that I have ever driven. Have fun and enjoy!!!!!

I agree!! I've been on it when it's pretty sketchy pulling my 4 place enclosed trailer. I'm excited. Never seen the mountains in the summer. Haha