PDA

View Full Version : 157 MPH--busted!

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Wow. http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/06/13/exclusive-motorcyclist-clocked-at-150-mph-on-i-75-speaks-out/

Methinks that is a bit fast.

Bob Denman
06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
On a public highway :shocked:... take him to jail, and throw away the keys! :gaah:
Otherwise; that moron will never live to see 20. :banghead:

Chupaca
06-16-2014, 09:33 AM
:agree: there are tracks that will allow him to run wild and not endanger anyone. Seems there was no urgency or other reason for it...:dontknow:

SPYD1
06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
...in the rain!!!

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 10:04 AM
19 yrs old
Testosterone
First motorcycle

Around here we call them "Squids" (SQUirrelly kIDS).

Bob Denman
06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
We call them "organ donors"... :shocked:

erikkelly
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
my friend is the president of a MC in south florida. They all ride crotch rockets. Their typical speeds are above 150. Its real easy in florida to speed.

I've put my bmw S1200RR up to about 175, never wanted to go much faster than that. My spyder has seen 130mph. But to put that in contrast, i've put my 700hp challenger srt up to 162 (and it could have gone much much faster). My bmw 745li could run at 140 easily without even feeling speed.

Lots of people (look at the comments) like to say mad things about people who go that speed. I'm a fan of speed, and true, you "could" go on a track to reach those speeds, its not the same thing. Few bike riders that go above 150 get into accidents, because they are usually very good at riding. its the slow riders, under 120, that cause and get into accidents, typically because they arent familiar with their bike.

ever pulled a wheelie going 120? fun times.

erikkelly
06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
AND... thats only a CBR 600. Imagine if he was running a 1000? :) 150 isnt that much. But I prefer cruising around on my 3 wheels now. Running above 140 is more work than fun. 90 on the spyder is a good, fun relaxing ride

wyliec
06-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm a fan of speed.

Being such a fan of speed (and there's nothing wrong with that), why do you have a spyder?

Never mind, I see it. You don't equate the adrenaline pump of high speed to relaxing.

jerpinoy
06-16-2014, 12:38 PM
This maybe the answer to solve traffic jam. Note: Traffic jams are created by slow moving vehicles. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Bob Denman
06-16-2014, 12:39 PM
my friend is the president of a MC in south florida. They all ride crotch rockets. Their typical speeds are above 150. Its real easy in florida to speed.

I've put my bmw S1200RR up to about 175, never wanted to go much faster than that. My spyder has seen 130mph. But to put that in contrast, i've put my 700hp challenger srt up to 162 (and it could have gone much much faster). My bmw 745li could run at 140 easily without even feeling speed.

You REALLY need to take that Spyder to Bonneville in a couple of Months: the World record is "only" about 128 mph...
(look it up: Doru Tisca)
DocDoru in here! :D

And I'm specifically NOT commenting on your defense of insane speeds on public highways...

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 12:41 PM
This maybe the answer to solve traffic jam. Note: Traffic jams are created by slow moving vehicles. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.Equip all residents of senior citizen communities with a Ninja crotch rocket--that'll speed things up a bit. Don't ya think?

Bob Denman
06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
...And tell them that the "3:15pm two for one dinners", are on a first-come/first-serve basis! :roflblack:

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 01:22 PM
...And tell them that the "3:15pm two for one dinners", are on a first-come/first-serve basis! :roflblack:
:bbq::bbq::clap::roflblack::roflblack::bbq::bbq:

ARtraveler
06-16-2014, 02:11 PM
There is a time and a place for everything. The interstate is not the place to break speed records on a motorcycle. Both the rider and the public are endangered by this type of activity.

Unfortunately, we see this a lot right on the Glenn Highway (AK HWY #1), which is very close by. There is about a 20 mile stretch of open road between Palmer/Wasilla, and Anchorage.

The crotch rocket riders are usually in packs and those of us doing 70 mph or so are passed like we are standing still when a pack of two or more goes whizzing by. I have also seen this happen on rain slicked roads and wonder "what are they thinking?" They can go pretty good--but what if they have to stop?

There is an on ramp with a bunch of trees, coming out of Anchorage, that has claimed the lives of at least two of these riders within the last three years. Both were riding their vehicles home from the dealers on inaugural rides.

We did have an incident (last summer, I believe) where police had set a trap at one of the overpasses, when they were notified of a pack heading for town. The speeders were successfully stopped and given the appropriate citations.

Not much more to add. :dontknow:

spydaman60
06-16-2014, 02:25 PM
You REALLY need to take that Spyder to Bonneville in a couple of Months: the World record is "only" about 128 mph...

And I'm specifically NOT commenting on your defense of insane speeds on public highways...bob, no comment?:dontknow: your blood pressure has to be elevated at this point!:roflblack::roflblack: don't you want to release that pressure?

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 02:34 PM
A mechanic at the awful dealer where I bought my Spyder was boasting that he out ran a Highway Patrol helicopter between Barstow and Las Vegas. The next time I went in I asked about his whereabouts. I was told, "He is no longer here." I responded, "Did he get a better job?" The mechanic answered, "No. He died going 130 on his bike on the freeway."

I don't know if he outran the chopper or not. I do know he did not out run the grim reaper.

bruiser
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Just had a fatality here Saturday when a guy tried to outrun troopers on his sport bike. He lost control, ran off the road and hit a road sign. When I was younger and bullet proof I ran my 750 Kawasaki at full throttle all the time. Until a New Mexico Trooper changed my mind. Speed was nothing to me. Either on a bike or in a car, I was bullet proof.

Not so much anymore.

mowin
06-16-2014, 04:26 PM
My dad used to say "he's stupid, he'll die young" whenever he seen some youngster doing something, well, stupid.....

Eagle1
06-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Here in Tampa Bay in the past year we have seen 3 thrilling rides in the past year.
1. One riding at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of traffic, lost control hit a divider flew over the medium, died.
2. Three riders on the bridge running high speed two lost control, one serious, one critical the third left the scene. Really?
3. Rider running high speed, popping wheelies. Pulled a wheelie and slammed into the back of a trash truck.
What a thrill.

grumpybob
06-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Lots of people (look at the comments) like to say mad things about people who go that speed. I'm a fan of speed, and true, you "could" go on a track to reach those speeds, its not the same thing. Few bike riders that go above 150 get into accidents, because they are usually very good at riding. its the slow riders, under 120, that cause and get into accidents, typically because they arent familiar with their bike.

ever pulled a wheelie going 120? fun times. Do you have a Go-Pro mounted? Would sure like to see the videos of those rides.

Bob Denman
06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
bob, no comment?:dontknow: your blood pressure has to be elevated at this point!:roflblack::roflblack: don't you want to release that pressure?
:gaah::gaah::gaah::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:shocked: It feel MUCH better now... :D

Motorcycledave
06-16-2014, 09:03 PM
body organ donors.....

spydaman60
06-16-2014, 09:15 PM
body organ donors.....I hear an echo dave!!!

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
I hear an echo dave!!!
I worked in the finance department at a hospital once. We called them "revenue enhancers."

wyliec
06-16-2014, 10:05 PM
We call them "organ donors"... :shocked:

Typically they are not, due to the high incidence of trauma to the organs.

Knarfoh
06-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Old story here in central Ohio but interesting take when cops speed on motorcycles!

CLICK HERE for story. (http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2009/08/25/trooper.ART_ART_08-25-09_B1_L3ES8Q1.html)

Dan_Ashley
06-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Typically they are not, due to the high incidence of trauma to the organs.
This is awful. Young people kill themselves by making the kinds of stupid decisions that young people make, and then, their young and healthy organs cannot be used to save other lives. This is sad.

Bob Denman
06-17-2014, 07:04 AM
That they are; as long as they don't "smush-up" the important parts too much! :yikes:
(January 23rd, 2006; my Missus got a new kidney!)

Netminder
06-17-2014, 06:39 PM
We have had a few crotch rocket riders and their passengers scraped of rocks up here in the Laurentians, in the past few years! :yikes: I find the problem is a lot of young people buy a super fast zinger as their first bike and don't realize that if you hit a bit of gravel on a corner doing 140-150 you lose control real quick! Experience is the difference between life and death ( and speed and cruising). JMHO. Ride safe everyone!:doorag:

bruiser
06-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Had one Sunday not far from my house. 19 year old on a crotch rocket. Lost control, hit a ditch. He was thrown off and bike kept going until it hit a concrete culvert. Trooper said he died due to the speed and no helmet. North Carolina law requires motorcycle riders to wear a helmet.

Dan_Ashley
06-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Had one Sunday not far from my house. 19 year old on a crotch rocket. Lost control, hit a ditch. He was thrown off and bike kept going until it hit a concrete culvert. Trooper said he died due to the speed and no helmet. North Carolina law requires motorcycle riders to wear a helmet.
What a sad waste.

flaggerphil
06-18-2014, 07:36 AM

ever pulled a wheelie going 120? fun times.

But, of course, when you go those speeds on a public road you're not only putting yourself in danger, but others around you. You hit someone else going those speeds and you're going to kill someone. To say that few riders that go above 150 get into accidents because they're very good at what they do is BS.

You want to go that fast, go to a track day. Riding like that on public roads is both irresponsible in the extreme and puts a bad name on other bikers.

"Fun times" indeed.

BTW, the rider in the article is an idiot. If someone is so unaware of what's going on around him when he's riding he has no business being on a bike.

Flanker
06-18-2014, 05:19 PM
I hit 174 (as measured by my portable GPS) on my ZX 14 once. Not sure where the tach was (too busy watching the asphalt blur for immanent death) but she was still pulling like a missile. Been over 150 quite a few times (very rural area) but all you can really do is run up quick touch the speed and roll off right away. Doing it in, or through traffic is criminally irresponsible as it's one thing to risk yourself and another thing entirely to put others at risk.

I have a friend who used to own a 5 stage computer controlled turbo Busa, that dynoed at 475 RWHP on 110 octane reace gas. Friendly LEO radar clocked him in a flying mile at 202 mph. My buddy said it had a lot more left but he was too scared, and rolled off.........................go figure.

Bob Denman
06-18-2014, 05:41 PM
ZX-14... :2thumbs:
I've got a story to tell about them... :D
I was at a local Harley Dealer's SpringTime open house party. :yes::ohyea::yes:
They had a band, a Barbecue pit... :thumbup:

...And a Chassis Dyno! :shocked:
Everybody was lining up to see what sort of numbers they could pull...
Big stock Hawgs were a bit over 60 hp
75 with a pipe
...and the really "snarly" ones were up around 90 horses...
There were about a jillion 600 poseur-bikes there; they were all in the 105 to 110 horsepower range...
And there was this ZX-14
He wasn't blipping the throttle, or trying to puff his chest out at all...
He just put it up on the stand, strapped in, and pulled a NUMBER!
162 horsepower! :yikes:
The guys on 600s all wanted to have his baby! :bowdown: :roflblack:
He never said a word; just rolled it off the stand, and short-shifted his way out of sight! :2thumbs:

Dan_Ashley
06-18-2014, 07:07 PM
ZX-14... :2thumbs:
I've got a story to tell about them... :D
I was at a local Harley Dealer's SpringTime open house party. :yes::ohyea::yes:
They had a band, a Barbecue pit... :thumbup:

...And a Chassis Dyno! :shocked:
Everybody was lining up to see what sort of numbers they could pull...
Big stock Hawgs were a bit over 60 hp
75 with a pipe
...and the really "snarly" ones were up around 90 horses...
There were about a jillion 600 poseur-bikes there; they were all in the 105 to 110 horsepower range...
And there was this ZX-14
He wasn't blipping the throttle, or trying to puff his ches out at all...
He just put it up on the stand, strapped in, and pulled a NUMBER!
162 horsepower! :yikes:
The guys on 600s all wanted to have his baby! :bowdown: :roflblack:
He never said a word; just rolled it off the stand, and short-shifted his way out of sight! :2thumbs:
Wow 162 HP on a motorcycle. I've owned pickup trucks with less!

Bob Denman
06-19-2014, 07:54 AM
I forgot ro mention the rider that was on a Hayabusa, and talking smack... 157 horsepower for him.
He really put his pout on; once he saw what the ZX did! :roflblack:

erikkelly
06-20-2014, 04:35 PM

And I'm specifically NOT commenting on your defense of insane speeds on public highways...

as per the top speed i got on this bike, it might not have been 130 exactly. i know i crossed 125, but it took like 3 minutes to go from 115 to above 125. i kept it in 4th until the limiter kicked in, and then maxxed out in 5th gear. no saddlebags, windscreen fully down, me tucked down. it took a lot of miles to get up to that speed... it crawled so slowly higher and higher.

but this was on the florida turnpike, basically no turns, no hills, just 20 miles of straightaway.

i was surprised, i thought with the speedo showing 200mph max, that it would at least be able to get above 130.

Bob Denman
06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification! :thumbup:

retired1
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
as per the top speed i got on this bike, it might not have been 130 exactly. i know i crossed 125, but it took like 3 minutes to go from 115 to above 125. i kept it in 4th until the limiter kicked in, and then maxxed out in 5th gear. no saddlebags, windscreen fully down, me tucked down. it took a lot of miles to get up to that speed... it crawled so slowly higher and higher.

but this was on the florida turnpike, basically no turns, no hills, just 20 miles of straightaway.

i was surprised, i thought with the speedo showing 200mph max, that it would at least be able to get above 130.

200 is kph.

Bob Denman
06-20-2014, 05:47 PM
...Which translates to what; maybe about 125 mph?? :dontknow:

Dan_Ashley
06-20-2014, 06:16 PM
200 is kph.
According to abbreviations.com, KPH stands for Keystrokes Per Hour. You are not supposed to be texting while driving your roadster on the freeway. Please stop doing this before you sustain injuries.