PDA

View Full Version : Front Tire Left The Ground

alanmcd
06-15-2014, 04:58 PM
So I am surprised at how easily the front tire lifted off the ground yesterday! :yikes: I pulled out kind of quick but not really THAT quick and the tire lifted, scared the bejesus out of the wife on the back of our '14 RTL SE6 but I got to say it did what it was supposed to in that situation which was to reduce power automatically and drop the tire back down so was impressed with that. But again it seemed like it didn't take much to lift it. Now of course we are big people and that makes the Spyder top heavy so will need to really keep the turns slow in the future.

-Alan

Bob Denman
06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Is this your first Spyder?
Sometimes; it takes a while to find where the limits are... :D
Nanny always has a hand on your shoulder; she just can't stop ALL of the shenanigans! :roflblack:

sledmaster
06-15-2014, 05:50 PM
if you are at a stop sign and are turning left or right, and then accelerate rather quickly as you pull out and turn then yes, you can pretty much lift the inside front wheel up off the ground at will. This is why it was so important for the Spyder to be fitted with VSS!

It usually happens as you start to pull out and then see oncoming traffic so you give it some more gas (as you are pulling out and turning), and up it goes. The harder you turn and the more gas you give it, the easier it is to lift it up. It is much easier to do this from a stop than it is while moving, but it can be done there as well, it just takes more effort to do so.

We do this, on a controlled basis, on snowmobiles all day long. It is a very natural behavior for those machines, but it can really open your eyes :shocked:when it happens on the road with the Spyder!

alanmcd
06-15-2014, 06:04 PM
That's exactly what happened. I pulled out and traffic came so had to give it a little more throttle than I figured at first. We were later on some winding roads and was a little leery after that stunt.

-Alan

rhansen309
06-15-2014, 07:11 PM
I did the same thing at Spyderfest 2013. Turning to the left. Scared my wife but she handled it like a trooper!!! I really can't remember if the nanny did what she was supposed to - I was just trying not go over. The road had a bit of a tilt to it. Needless to say I was a bit more cautious for the rest fo the time we were at Spyderfest.

daveinva
06-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Did this ALL THE TIME in my trike class years ago. In fact, the coaches encouraged it-- easy way to get accustomed to how the Spyder reacts, throw it around in circles going ever faster. As written above, counter-intuitively perhaps, this is far more likely to occur in *slow speed*, sharp maneuvers. The Nanny protects you well at higher speeds, but at slow speeds, you're on your own for a bit. :shocked:

Easy way to solve the problem is the same technique best used for high-speed cornering on the Spyder: get off your seat, shift into the direction of your turn (one butt cheek works great), slide forward like you're kissing the mirror, and look where you want to go. It'll keep the Spyder planted for longer, and it won't upset *you* as much if and when you lift the wheel. :thumbup:

Chazman880
06-15-2014, 08:18 PM
I did the same thing for the first time yesterday night, out of a parking lot into traffic, didn't realize it happens until the traction light came on for a hot second .... I was like , cool... And kept booking..lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chupaca
06-16-2014, 12:48 AM
the first few times but you will find that sweet spot and enjoy the ryde..:ohyea::ohyea:

sledmaster
06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Easy way to solve the problem is the same technique best used for high-speed cornering on the Spyder: get off your seat, shift into the direction of your turn (one butt cheek works great), slide forward like you're kissing the mirror, and look where you want to go. It'll keep the Spyder planted for longer, and it won't upset *you* as much if and when you lift the wheel. :thumbup:

Exactly like riding a snowmobile! :yes:

In fact, if we do NOT lean into the corner on a sled, the inside ski will almost always lift up, so on a Spyder it is VERY intuitive, at least for those of us up north (and those coming from ATVs) to be leaning towards that inside front wheel.

You have to remember, the Spyder is built by SKI-DOO and the first prototypes were in fact Ski-Doo snowmobiles with wheels, so this kind of rider interaction is very natural for some of us, while not so much for the rest of the world. This behavior is only un-natural for traditional two-wheel riders.

daveinva
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Exactly like riding a snowmobile! :yes:

In fact, if we do NOT lean into the corner on a sled, the inside ski will almost always lift up, so on a Spyder it is VERY intuitive, at least for those of us up north (and those coming from ATVs) to be leaning towards that inside front wheel.

You have to remember, the Spyder is built by SKI-DOO and the first prototypes were in fact Ski-Doo snowmobiles with wheels, so this kind of rider interaction is very natural for some of us, while not so much for the rest of the world. This behavior is only un-natural for traditional two-wheel riders.

Yup! And that's why when two-wheel riders ask me at gas stations etc. how the Spyder rides, I tell them it's like a street-legal ATV or snowmobile... YOU have to do the leaning!

ARtraveler
06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
A good idea to know where the "limits" are. I try to drive accordingly. Have never had "nanny" slap me on the wrists, but have had her pull me out of a jam the couple times I was involved in hydroplaning.

A good "friend" to have aboard. :yes:

Spyderleggs
06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
I too have had the inside front wheel lift. it happened when the road I was on was banked to the right and I entered a road ( at the center of a curve) that was also banked to the right but at a greater angle. I turned to the left. The inner front tire lifted better than a foot. I thought that there was a problem with the nanny for not controlling the throttle, but it didn't.
I took my Spyder in to have it checked to make sure the nanny was working properly - there was no incident code recorded. Everything checked out ok. Since then, I have had several times on flat roads where I had to swerve quickly and the nanny worked as intended. My thoughts on the incident are beware when the Spyder is not sitting 0 degrees +/- 3 or 4 degrees to ( side to side )flat level. When increasing the angle of the Spyder (side to side ), the nanny doesn't have an index to work from. How about some input from those engineers out there.