PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield for the Spyder RT

Texas
06-15-2014, 12:24 AM
So I wanted a short windshield for my 2014 Spyder RT-S to aid in providing my air to myself due to summertime temperatures and to see if I could achieve better mileage. I considered the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield, but the height of the windshield is 19", and that was still taller than what I was looking for. Since there aren't a lot of windshield choices for the RT, I thought I would email CalSci and ask them if it was possible to get a shorter windshield (I wanted 17"). Mark from CalSci replied "You can order one of our tinted shorties and in the comments section ask we cut it down. No charge."

This was the answer I was hoping for. I immediately ordered the Tinted Shorty and in the "How did you hear about us?" section (there is no comments section) I said said “Please take 2" off the top of this shield (making it 17" at the center instead of 19"). Thank you.”. Just to be safe, I also replied to Mark, letting him know that I just ordered the shield, and I reiterated my request to make the shield 17".

I didn't get a reply from Mark, or anyone else at CalSci, but about a week later, I received the shield. One major issue noted as soon as I received it was that the shield was 18" instead of 17" I immediately emailed Mark about it, but did not get a reply. I waited over two weeks with no reply from CalSci, so I decided to send them another email to see if they would respond. This time I get a response, only this time their email isn't quite as friendly. I was not addressed, and whoever wrote it did not leave their name. Their response was simply "Send it back, we'll cut another inch off."

Knowing this is a larger item to ship, I figured I better confirm that they were going to pick up all of the shipping cost (since this was their fault). This time Mark responds with:

"No. I'll pay to ship it back to you, that's it.

Break it in half, send me a picture, and I'll refund your money.

We are not a custom windshield shop. We do cut downs at no charge as a service for our customers. I don't know how you're measuring it. I don't know anymore what I measured when I cut it. I don't believe 1 inch makes a noticeable difference in performance or looks. You do, that's fine, but you got a free service, you did not get a guarantee of high precision.

Mark"

I emailed him back, confirming that I measured straight down the center to get the 18" measurement (which is exactly where the measurement was taken in my request). I told him I'm not a fan of wasting product, and wanted to know if he wanted to reconsider picking up the shipping cost for his mistake. I received no response from him, or anyone else at CalSci. As a consumer, it's also upsetting that his response above (I don't believe 1 inch makes a noticeable difference in performance or looks) makes light of my request. As a seller, if you tell someone that they can request a certain measurement, but nothing is guaranteed; you aren't going to sell many units. At the same time, the seller does need to inform the consumer of this important information before the sale is made.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
So this leaves me with either destroying the shield, or paying out more money to hopefully fix a mistake that was made by CalSci as my only two options (as specified by Mark). Neither are good options, but Mark's last response made it very clear to me that CalSci is not concerned about customer satisfaction, so this leaves me with a shield that isn't as short as the one I purchased.

QUALITY:
I haven't even gotten into the review of the shield itself. CalSci describes their shields as being laser cut. While the holes do line up, the entire edge around the shield and around the vent are rough, which perplexes me. I have purchased other laser cut shields in the past, and none of them had any rough edges. Because of this, I find CalSci's description to be misleading.

The thickness of the shield (though not confirmed) is listed on their website as 1/8". I'm not disputing this, but the issue with this is that the original shield is much thicker, thus the built in spacers on the RT's mounting bracket is thicker than the shield. This causes the outside windshield covers to fit loosely. In my opinion, CalSci should include a custom cut gasket for the windshield cover so that the cover fits snug against the windshield.

SIDE NOTE:
CalSci includes a microfiber cleaning towel and a small spray bottle of windshield cleaner with the windshield. While this is nice (the microfiber towel is a nice size towel), it isn't near as important as the issues listed above. Something like this is only looked as going above and beyond, when the basic requirements are met.

CONCLUSION:
When I placed my order, I prematurely thought that I was going to leaving a great review on this shield. I really wanted to. However, based on just the above experience, I can not recommend the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield. It shocks me that a company would give such poor options to resolve a mistake that they made. Mark also stated that they do not guarantee high precision. I ordered a 17" instead of the regular 19". They gave it to me as a 18" (exactly 18" by the way). They were 1" off. A complaint of high precision would have been if I were upset about getting a shield cut to 17.08". CalSci missed the mark by 50%.

This reminds me of the movie "Six Days Seven Nights" where upon being paid $700 to fly Robin to Tahiti but crashing on an remote island in between, Quinn gives her back $350 (three one hundred dollar bills, plus one he tore in half) saying "I figure I got you halfway". The point to this is, he failed to deliver upon what he was paid to do, and it is his responsibility as the business owner to correct mistakes, bad judgement, etc...

Questions
06-15-2014, 06:48 AM
I have cut down many windshields as needed. Simply put masking tape on both sides of the windshield, outline the cut you wish to make and cut it with a band saw to size.
Not an insurmountable problem.

Bob Denman
06-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Question: Did you mount it up, and give it any time on the bike? :shocked:
I'm just curious if it helped with fuel mileage and airflow or not...

We've heard the "rough-edge" comments in other posts about their products... :gaah:
It's a shame. :banghead:

happyspyder2039
06-15-2014, 08:07 AM
So I wanted a short windshield for my 2014 Spyder RT-S to aid in providing my air to myself due to summertime temperatures and to see if I could achieve better mileage. I considered the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield, but the height of the windshield is 19", and that was still taller than what I was looking for. Since there aren't a lot of windshield choices for the RT, I thought I would email CalSci and ask them if it was possible to get a shorter windshield (I wanted 17"). Mark from CalSci replied "You can order one of our tinted shorties and in the comments section ask we cut it down. No charge."

This was the answer I was hoping for. I immediately ordered the Tinted Shorty and in the "How did you hear about us?" section (there is no comments section) I said said “Please take 2" off the top of this shield (making it 17" at the center instead of 19"). Thank you.”. Just to be safe, I also replied to Mark, letting him know that I just ordered the shield, and I reiterated my request to make the shield 17".

I didn't get a reply from Mark, or anyone else at CalSci, but about a week later, I received the shield. One major issue noted as soon as I received it was that the shield was 18" instead of 17" I immediately emailed Mark about it, but did not get a reply. I waited over two weeks with no reply from CalSci, so I decided to send them another email to see if they would respond. This time I get a response, only this time their email isn't quite as friendly. I was not addressed, and whoever wrote it did not leave their name. Their response was simply "Send it back, we'll cut another inch off."

Knowing this is a larger item to ship, I figured I better confirm that they were going to pick up all of the shipping cost (since this was their fault). This time Mark responds with:
"No. I'll pay to ship it back to you, that's it.

Break it in half, send me a picture, and I'll refund your money.

We are not a custom windshield shop. We do cut downs at no charge as a service for our customers. I don't know how you're measuring it. I don't know anymore what I measured when I cut it. I don't believe 1 inch makes a noticeable difference in performance or looks. You do, that's fine, but you got a free service, you did not get a guarantee of high precision.

Mark"

I emailed him back, confirming that I measured straight down the center to get the 18" measurement (which is exactly where the measurement was taken in my request). I told him I'm not a fan of wasting product, and wanted to know if he wanted to reconsider picking up the shipping cost for his mistake. I received no response from him, or anyone else at CalSci. As a consumer, it's also upsetting that his response above (I don't believe 1 inch makes a noticeable difference in performance or looks) makes light of my request. As a seller, if you tell someone that they can request a certain measurement, but nothing is guaranteed; you aren't going to sell many units. At the same time, the seller does need to inform the consumer of this important information before the sale is made.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
So this leaves me with either destroying the shield, or paying out more money to hopefully fix a mistake that was made by CalSci as my only two options (as specified by Mark). Neither are good options, but Mark's last response made it very clear to me that CalSci is not concerned about customer satisfaction, so this leaves me with a shield that isn't as short as the one I purchased.

QUALITY:
I haven't even gotten into the review of the shield itself. CalSci describes their shields as being laser cut. While the holes do line up, the entire edge around the shield and around the vent are rough, which perplexes me. I have purchased other laser cut shields in the past, and none of them had any rough edges. Because of this, I find CalSci's description to be misleading.

The thickness of the shield (though not confirmed) is listed on their website as 1/8". I'm not disputing this, but the issue with this is that the original shield is much thicker, thus the built in spacers on the RT's mounting bracket is thicker than the shield. This causes the outside windshield covers to fit loosely. In my opinion, CalSci should include a custom cut gasket for the windshield cover so that the cover fits snug against the windshield.

SIDE NOTE:
CalSci includes a microfiber cleaning towel and a small spray bottle of windshield cleaner with the windshield. While this is nice (the microfiber towel is a nice size towel), it isn't near as important as the issues listed above. Something like this is only looked as going above and beyond, when the basic requirements are met.

CONCLUSION:
When I placed my order, I prematurely thought that I was going to leaving a great review on this shield. I really wanted to. However, based on just the above experience, I can not recommend the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield. It shocks me that a company would give such poor options to resolve a mistake that they made. Mark also stated that they do not guarantee high precision. I ordered a 17" instead of the regular 19". They gave it to me as a 18" (exactly 18" by the way). They were 1" off. A complaint of high precision would have been if I were upset about getting a shield cut to 17.08". CalSci missed the mark by 50%.

This reminds me of the movie "Six Days Seven Nights" where upon being paid $700 to fly Robin to Tahiti but crashing on an remote island in between, Quinn gives her back $350 (three one hundred dollar bills, plus one he tore in half) saying "I figure I got you halfway". The point to this is, he failed to deliver upon what he was paid to do, and it is his responsibility as the business owner to correct mistakes, bad judgement, etc...I feel for you! I made the mistake of purchasing the tinted shorty for my RS. on the 1st ride the shield cracked around the mounting holes. I contacted them and initially told thats not possible as we have sold thousands with no issues. The shield seemed really fragile and thin. I ended up taking pictures for proof of breakage and emailed them and eventually got my refund.
I ended up purchasing from Madstad engineering shield that worked great. I don't think they build shields for the RT but it might be worth a call.

garb55
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi guys
Sorry You did not receive good customer service
I have the 18" tinted shorty on my 2014 RTL
The edges on mine are not rough and the shield is a little thinner than stock
The stock rubber spacers on my RT were thicker on one side than the other so I just turned them all around and that did the trick.
I ordered mine over the phone from Mark and he was very nice, even said they could ship it the same day
An hour later he called back and said he was sorry but could not ship it till the following day'
I received great customer service.
The shield is the perfect size for me [I'm 5'7"]
When all the way up it blocks the wind noise and I can still see over the shield
When all the way down I get a lot of cool air
I do not check my mileage I just enjoy ridding
Don

Mike,P
06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
I love my tinted shorty / abt 1000 mi so far :) it works for me and when my wife rides it goes up and makes her happy :) I don't disagree with the edges being kinda rough / Laser cut my ass!!! I would hate to get operated on with a laser that shakey :) I can fix it but shouldn't have to...

Texas
06-16-2014, 06:32 AM
I have cut down many windshields as needed. Simply put masking tape on both sides of the windshield, outline the cut you wish to make and cut it with a band saw to size.
Not an insurmountable problem.

Richard, I don't have a band saw, and even if I did, the windshield is curved, so cutting it with one would not be easy to do without at the very least, scratching the shield. However, I think you missed the points made in my review.

Texas
06-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Question: Did you mount it up, and give it any time on the bike? :shocked:
I'm just curious if it helped with fuel mileage and airflow or not...

We've heard the "rough-edge" comments in other posts about their products... :gaah:
It's a shame. :banghead:

Bob, yes, it is mounted up. If you look at my MPG report that I update, you'll see when it was added, and the MPG I've been getting in comparison to before. You'll have to judge for yourself, but my guess is that if it has helped MPG, it has been marginal at best; which is surprising since there is noticeably less resistance on the front end.

As mentioned by happyspyder2039, the shield seems very fragile (reminds me of the $35 shields I used to buy when I drove sport bikes), so I'm waiting for the day when the shield cracks from stress and/or ageing. When that happens I'll look for another manufacturer, as I would not make another purchase from CalSci. That being said, the thinness of the plastic wasn't my original concern; although happyspyder2039 may have brought up a very good point. This shield is much larger than the sport shields I use to buy, is at a much higher angle, and isn't supported on the sides (like a sport bike), so cracking may be a long term issue.

Yes, the rough edges were disappointing, but not near as disappointing as getting a shield taller than what was requested, and then told that I got a free service, so there is no guarantee (which was never stated before the purchase). :lecturef_smilie:

Woodsrider
06-16-2014, 08:35 AM
That's enough to keep me from CalSci. I'd like a much shorter than stock windshield for summer, I'm roasting in NC (not from motor heat, just lack of airflow). I wouldn't mind finding a stock one and cutting it down myself. I've done several bike windshield trimmings.

Jccjr50
06-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Sorry about the problems you have had. I have had Calsci windshields on four different bikes and had no problems with any of them. Two were 2011 & 2014 Spyder RT's.

Rando
06-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Sorry about the problems you have had. I have had Calsci windshields on four different bikes and had no problems with any of them. Two were 2011 & 2014 Spyder RT's.I concur. I have one on my 2011 RT and have never taken it off. I enjoy the extra protection in gives me in the rain and during the colder weather.

Texas
06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Sorry about the problems you have had. I have had Calsci windshields on four different bikes and had no problems with any of them. Two were 2011 & 2014 Spyder RT's.

They make different ones of different thicknesses. This is why my review is specifically of the CalSci Tinted Shorty Windshield for the Spyder RT. You may have had one of the other shields that they make.

ABQSpyder
06-20-2014, 09:58 PM
I have a Tinted Shorty on my 2011 RT.
Love it! :yes: