PDA

View Full Version : RT Humming Any Ideas?

saint999
06-14-2014, 05:03 PM
You know that sound when you turn the key? Sounds sort of like a fan hum then shuts off and you start your bike. Well I am hearing that humming sound constantly. It almost sounds like its coming from the back but I am unsure. I will take it into the shop Tues. but had a little further to go today. Any ideas ? All temps and gauges shows fine.

SpyRyd
06-14-2014, 05:26 PM
14 RT...probably the fuel pump...mine whines (more of a whine rather than a hum to my ears) as well. My dealer tech says it's the fuel pump. Believe I read a post by one SL that had the fuel pump replaced under warranty but the replacement pump whined louder than the original one. :dontknow:

Guzzi
06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
14 RT...probably the fuel pump...mine whines (more of a whine rather than a hum to my ears) as well. My dealer tech says it's the fuel pump. Believe I read a post by one SL that had the fuel pump replaced under warranty but the replacement pump whined louder than the original one. :dontknow:
That was me! The replacement pump has been worse and louder than the original. Have been harping at the dealer for 2 mos now. Got a call last week and a new pump is being shipped to the dealer for my 2014 RTL. Factory told the dealer that they received a bad batch of pumps and guess what; my original was faulty, and the replacement was also in the same batch. Now waiting on the third new pump. Sure hope this one don't sing to me loudly anymore. It has been really irritating. If you suspect your pump is giving you the same problem, tell your dealer, as you may have one of the faulty pumps. By the way, none of the pumps have failed; they are just very loud and whine away at any speed.

bodymanpainter
06-14-2014, 06:23 PM
That was me! The replacement pump has been worse and louder than the original. Have been harping at the dealer for 2 mos now. Got a call last week and a new pump is being shipped to the dealer for my 2014 RTL. Factory told the dealer that they received a bad batch of pumps and guess what; my original was faulty, and the replacement was also in the same batch. Now waiting on the third new pump. Sure hope this one don't sing to me loudly anymore. It has been really irritating. If you suspect your pump is giving you the same problem, tell your dealer, as you may have one of the faulty pumps. By the way, none of the pumps have failed; they are just very loud and whine away at any speed.

Dose the sound change with the rpm's of the engine?
Ours has had a whine or growl since we got it but since the 3000 mile service it hasn't
been as bad but can still hear it some.
Toby

Texas
06-14-2014, 06:24 PM
RT Humming Any Ideas?

Try to sing along with it? :roflblack:

Seriously though, this has been talked about, and almost every RT has this sound. It is nothing to be alarmed about.

oldguyinTX
06-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Our 2013 RT LTD SE5 whines when the key is turned on. I have always thought that it was the fuel pump loading up, never hear it when riding or when shutting down.

Chupaca
06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
the fuel pump..good exhaust system will drown thst right out..!! :roflblack::roflblack: if not one of the faulty one can the warp it..??

BajaRon
06-14-2014, 08:46 PM
RT Humming Any Ideas?

No, but if you can get it to whistle Dixie you've really got something there! :rolleyes:

Dan McNally
06-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Try to teach it the words . . . that might stop the humming . . . :ohyea:

garb55
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I had a very loud whine and a very loud growl
Got rid of all the noise when I got divorced:ohyea::clap::2thumbs::yes::roflblack::che ers:

saint999
06-14-2014, 11:47 PM

Yeah thats what this one sounds like. Small jet engine going on in the middle of the bike. Not too loud now but concerning. It didnt do this till about the 800 mile mark.

saint999
06-14-2014, 11:49 PM

Your right more of a whine then a hum. It sounds like a tiny jet engine at idle. Is your dealer going to replace it ?

saint999
06-14-2014, 11:57 PM
I may try some seafoam on my next fill up before Tuesday. See if running some fuel cleaner will help the noise some. Hope this is nothing to be concerned about, my dealer doesnt like to replace anything till it dies and I dont like that too much. Can leave you on the side of the road philosophy.

SpyRyd
06-15-2014, 03:16 AM
Your right more of a whine then a hum. It sounds like a tiny jet engine at idle. Is your dealer going to replace it ?

Nope. Kinda got the impression from the tech that "they all do it". Gonna have them contact BRP to see if there is something coming out on "bad fuel pumps".

MouthPiece
06-15-2014, 11:00 AM
I believe the sound is the purge pump.

Take heed of what he says.

​Chris

saint999
06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
I believe the sound is the purge pump.

What is a purge pump?

MouthPiece
06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
What is a purge pump?

The following is taken from NancysToy in an earlier thread. Perhaps this might help.

Gas fumes have to be vented from the gas tank, especially as the tank heats and the gas vaporizes, building pressure. The tank also has to be vented to allow air to enter the tank as the fuel level drops. Because any air exiting the tank contains hydrocarbons that are consdidered to be environmentally harmful, the EPA demands that the tank emissions be recycled or limited. The canister contains activated charcoal, which can absorb the harmful vapors. Any that are released are recycled through the intake when the engine can suck them in and accept them, via the purge valve. When the engine is off, the purge valve solenoid opens the atmospheric vent and directs these gases to the atmosphere...or allows air to enter the cooling fuel tank so it doesn't collapse. Think of the evap canister as a wide spot in the line that contains a sponge of sorts.

​Chris

JimFoy
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
My 2014 RTL hums too. It is continuous when the engine is running, and does not change in pitch -- it's about F above middle C. It's annoying.

Bob Denman
06-18-2014, 01:24 PM
So far; we've got Whines, Hums, and Swishes...
What's next? :D

ulflyer
06-18-2014, 02:18 PM
The whine I hear at idle increases as the speed increases and when cruising steadily there's a monotonous repetitive sound like "wha, wha, wha." Would the purge valve be making that sound? It sounds mechanical. I had a good many miles on mine before I started noticing it. As said above, "they all do it".

jaherbst
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
​If you could name the tune it is humming perhaps it would quit!

dadof4
06-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Humming hmmmmm...perhaps it doesn't know the words. Sorry I couldn't help it.

saint999
06-23-2014, 08:37 PM
You are all funny and I did get a laugh. I did take this to the dealer and they confirmed it was a very loud fuel pump but since BRP has no noted failures they won't replace it. I dont want to be the first failure on a long trip though so what to do?

SPYD1
06-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Mine does it but I can't hear it....my son complains about it though.

ulflyer
06-24-2014, 04:39 AM
You are all funny and I did get a laugh. I did take this to the dealer and they confirmed it was a very loud fuel pump but since BRP has no noted failures they won't replace it. I dont want to be the first failure on a long trip though so what to do?

If you want to compare it to mine, lets meet up somewhere. I'm down in lower end of Davidson County on Rt 150, retired, so can meet anytime, anywhere. Otherwise, I think you can tour with confidence; theres hundreds (thousands??) of '14's on the road and I've not read of any failures. Mine hummed and went "wha, wha, wha," flawlessly 2200 miles out to Springfield Mo and back with 2700 mi on the clock. 7700 now and no issues other than "DESS" popping up occasionally when I turn key on.

Thinking about it, maybe we need to organize a weekly Can Am meet for breakfast somewhere in the Triad area.
If anyone is interested, PM me.

Benggolf
07-02-2014, 01:37 AM
I hear the whine on our 2014 RT but also a "flop-flop-flop-flop" beat that sounds like an air pump at work.
Now are all these sounds normal and acceptable?

Perhaps a louder muffler like an Akrapovic will ease the anxieties? :roflblack: Goodness!

Rid'nrandy
07-02-2014, 06:34 AM
The humming is just an indication that you have a happy Spyder. :thumbup:

garb55
07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Whine = diaper needs changing
Wa Wa Wa = I'm hungry give me a bottle
Hum = now I'm happy
Flop Flop Flop = Diaper half off
jet engine = lets get going
:roflblack::roflblack:

saint999
08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
If you want to compare it to mine, lets meet up somewhere. I'm down in lower end of Davidson County on Rt 150, retired, so can meet anytime, anywhere. Otherwise, I think you can tour with confidence; theres hundreds (thousands??) of '14's on the road and I've not read of any failures. Mine hummed and went "wha, wha, wha," flawlessly 2200 miles out to Springfield Mo and back with 2700 mi on the clock. 7700 now and no issues other than "DESS" popping up occasionally when I turn key on.

Thinking about it, maybe we need to organize a weekly Can Am meet for breakfast somewhere in the Triad area.
If anyone is interested, PM me.

Sounds good to me UL. Just let me know when you may be in the area and see if we can meet up or I in yours. The dealer has said its extremely load and my 2012 did not do this so not a newbie hearing normal things. It may never cause an issue but I want it looked at deeper and they cant do that without BRP ok.

Bob Denman
08-06-2014, 05:02 PM
If THIS guy is sitting there; kick him off!! :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9RmFZgNqf0

ulflyer
08-06-2014, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=saint999;853496]Sounds good to me UL. Just let me know when you may be in the area and see if we can meet up or I in yours. The dealer has said its extremely load and my 2012 did not do this so not a newbie hearing normal things. It may never cause an issue but I want it looked at deeper and they cant do that without BRP ok.[/QUOT

PM coming at you.

jbaker
08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
I traded my 2012 RT with SM5 for 2014 RTS with SE6. Love the machine in all accounts but one, a whine that is worse when cold. The whine increases in pitch as the engine accelerates. It does improve as the engine heats up. In the morning, when the ambient temp is 70 degrees, it only starts improving as I get to work - 17 miles. In the afternoon, when it's warmer outside, it gets better quicker.

The noise is different that the fuel pump noise that is evident when I go through start up cycle.

Funny thing is I test drove 2 RTSs at dealer and they both sounded the same. Dealer said it's the sound of a triple. With 2 alike I agreed, I guess. I bought a third RTS he had and was pretty sure I did not hear it as I left dealer and was on highway at speed within 5 miles. feel like I noticed the whine a few days later. Anyway, with the same noise in three machines I guess I agreed with the dealer. After 350 miles though I'm thinking this noise isn't right.

Anyway, I called BRP and the lady on the phone did acknowledge that they have a service bulleting on the 14 RTs with a whine around 3,000 rpm. This bulletin is apparently TST61Y014S01_EN. She said it was related to a thrust washer "vibrating and spinning" in the HCM housing. She further said the noise comes from the left side. The only way the technician can determine if this is what's going on is to inspect it, and then call BRP with the findings.

Not sure where this will end up, but it sure sounds like something is spinning that shouldn't be.

Anyone else got something similar?

ulflyer
08-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, at least you got a reply other than "they all do that".:D

BTW, what is an "HCM"?

JimFoy
09-02-2014, 11:40 AM
They don't all do that. Mine had a constant whine that got louder month after month. BRP tech at Owner's Event said it was bad fuel pump, and my dealer replaced it. No more whine.

billybovine
09-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Well, at least you got a reply other than "they all do that".:D

BTW, what is an "HCM"?

HCM = Hydraulic Control Module. It contains an oil pump and valving that shifts the gears and controls the clutch on SE model Spyders only.

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Billy, If you keep giving such good answers; in a few years we might have to give some consideration, to "Scotty" Status for you! :2thumbs:

BikerDoc
09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
the fuel pump..good exhaust system will drown thst right out..!! :roflblack::roflblack: if not one of the faulty one can the warp it..?? with my cat delete pipe and my akrapovic exhaust with baffles removed, I don't hear any of those trivial sounds

Highwayman2013
09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Ride it!

billybovine
09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Billy, If you keep giving such good answers; in a few years we might have to give some consideration, to "Scotty" Status for you! :2thumbs:

Scotty has far more knowledge and certainly faaaaar more patience.

Bob Denman
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
:D You ain't doin' bad... :thumbup:

But we sure could use him back here... :shocked:

The-BigDog-30
09-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Have a 14 RTS and mine started whining at about 600 miles. It's not that bad but noticeable while sitting at a light. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Bling Bling
09-10-2014, 04:44 PM
:D You ain't doin' bad... :thumbup:

But we sure could use him back here... :shocked:

I don't know Scotty, but have used his advice on several occasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVuiSRMSQc

timeless
09-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't know Scotty, but have used his advice on several occasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVuiSRMSQc

Where has Scotty been the past several months????? Hopefully he is well!!!!!!!!!!