PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Sort Out Which '14 RT To Choose

MikeT
06-14-2014, 02:26 PM
If my left hand continues to be weak post surgery, and I can't operate the clutch on my '09 Comfort/Navi/XM GL1800 trike, my only alternative to stay riding is to move to a 1330 SE6 RT/RTS. From what I've come away with from reading many posts here, is that each person has a reason(s) for picking which model in the RT line they decide to buy. I realize that no matter which way I go, I am not going to match the features of my '09 without spending signifigant bucks, and maybe not even then.
My inquiry has to do with the use of a Dual Pack Bluetooth Headset System with either the RT or RTS. Based on some research, I'm leaning towards the UClear HBC Force 200 or the 200HD(for open face helmets). I would like to get away from boom mics, especially the passenger one. Here's my question:
can any of the OEM radio functions be connected through a Bluetooth headset? Don't need a CB, and was going to use WAZE or SCOUT from my Galaxy S3 for GPS functionality. I also understand that there are a few aftermarket waterproof GPS devices that have bluetooth capability that I could use. Because of these factors, I've moved the LTD as my last choice.
I would love to hear from SLs that are using any bluetooth headsets with their RTs, and what the potential of these devices is/are, and what I need to consider to get there.
Thanks,
Mike

MikeT
06-15-2014, 09:01 AM
I see I've had a lot of LOOKERS; but No TAKERS, so to speak. Maybe my post was too "vague" on what I was asking for. I think I've answered my own question after some more late night research:
1. Looks like I would need the Bluetooh Dongle to wirelessly connect the OEM radio to Brand X, Y, Z Bluetooth Headset.
2. After similarly configuring a SM6 RT and RTS, I would loose color choice, and fancy front fenders; but save close to $2200.00 by going to a PW RT. Those dollars would go towards some farkles. I could "jazz" up my fenders with some TricLED lights. Possibly consider a wrap too.
Mike

ottawa-rider
06-15-2014, 09:14 AM
To get Bluetooth capability for the radio on the Spyder, you do need the Bluetooth dongle which is actually a Sena SM10 sold by BRP.

If you get the LTD or the GPS as an option on other models, it is the Garmin Zumo 660 and it has building Bluetooth.

For a headset, any that's Bluetooth capable will work, I use the Sena SMH10 also sold by BRP, it connects to the GPS, the radio via the dongle, to my smartphone and also allows communications with a buddy or passenger that is also using the SMH10.

MikeT
06-15-2014, 10:26 AM
To get Bluetooth capability for the radio on the Spyder, you do need the Bluetooth dongle which is actually a Sena SM10 sold by BRP.

If you get the LTD or the GPS as an option on other models, it is the Garmin Zumo 660 and it has building Bluetooth.

For a headset, any that's Bluetooth capable will work, I use the Sena SMH10 also sold by BRP, it connects to the GPS, the radio via the dongle, to my smartphone and also allows communications with a buddy or passenger that is also using the SMH10.

With BRP being "the middleman", I would bet the items are marked up so BRP gets their cut. Just look at the cost of options. I may take the hit just to have the dongle wired by the dealer, just to CYA down the road if there're any issues. I think there are newer/more capable waterproof GPS on the market than the 660. I was planning on using my Galaxy S3 for my GPS functionality. The latest Bluetooth(SENA S20, Intraphone F5, UClear 200 series) headsets now are coming with FM receivers and pair with all types of bluetooth devices regardless of brand.
Thanks for responding.
Mike

Highwayman2013
06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Check out Motorcycle Dave a site sponsor for SENA products. We have the SENA Smh10 headsets with the universal mics. We wear full face helmets and use the Velcro on mics. If you use the dongle you should consider the same brand as sometimes other brands don 't play well together. We don't use the radio because we stream music from our smart phones.'

MikeT
06-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Highwayman,
We've always worn 3/4 helmets. The wind noise off my wife's boom mic is really annoying. That's what intreagues me about the UClear HBC 200 series headsets, internal mic in each speaker. At least the literature on the new generation headsets say they "play nice". Thanks for the recommendation on MC Dave.
Still not totally sure that I want to make the switch to a '14 RT. for the following reasons:
1. Closest dealer with decent reputation is 75 miles away. My trike friendly Honda dealer is 30 minutes away.
2. Not read of any RTs that have gone 100,000 miles without costing an arm and a leg in routine maintainence & replacement of wore out parts. Granted this is on the V-Twin motors. It's way to early to tell on the 1330.
3. BRP talks about both improving the quality of dealer service, and expanding the dealer network. To date there's not been much progress on either front based on comments on SLs.
4. The usual deal breaker is the bath one takes on a trade-in. Retirement usually equates to less disposable cash for toys.
Mike

MikeT
07-01-2014, 10:56 AM
The dealer I plan to use, solved one part of my delemma. They don't order any base RTs for stock. So it looks like it's going to be a Circuit Yellow RTS/SE6. Got to keep the high vis factor going. I'm not really a fan of where BRP mounts the GPS on the handle bars. I've seen some people put it in the center of the dash; but with limited mechanical ability plus an entire new platform to learn, I may just have to go the stock route.
As far as bluetooth headsets go, my dealer uses the Midland Dual Pack. I'll have to read up on those. I've decided ffrom reading that the UClears are off my radar. I really hope the SENA S20 makes it to market. I don't know if you'll need a Dongle with these. May need it to bluetooth other features on the RTS. Anyway I'll be contacting MC Dave when the time comes for his expert guidance.
Mike