PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up for a turn on a sm6?

cafejimlv
06-13-2014, 03:46 PM
I've been down shifting and throttle through the turn like two wheeler.

Highwayman2013
06-13-2014, 03:49 PM
That's it, slow in throttle out.

Chupaca
06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Coast to the ouside of the turn power to the inside on out...as much as the nanny permits. Now how everyone does it is only data to feed your nerve. In the end you take it as you feel comfortable with...above all be safe..!! :thumbup::ohyea::ohyea:

joebryanjr
06-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Slow
Look
Press
Roll

Bob Denman
06-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Downshifting and braking prior to the start of the turn...
Start your inward lean just before you initiate the turn of the bars...
Once you reach the apex of the turn; power on! :2thumbs:

cafejimlv
06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Just like two wheels. Outside to inside, power out at the apex. I've been trying to keep it centered.:banghead:

sddinnh
06-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Just like two wheels. Outside to inside, power out at the apex. I've been trying to keep it centered.:banghead:

Yup, just be careful because you've got less road width to work with because of the width of the Spyder :thumbup:

jth
06-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I am finding that left turns are more difficult/awkward, on crowned roads. As you turn left, the crown runs away from you - which makes you tilt towards the outside of the turn.

Still a spyder newbie and getting my 'sea-legs' but this is a whole lot different than riding two OR four wheels...

- John

bluestratos
06-14-2014, 11:01 AM
The 14 is slightly different than my 11 due to tranny, power band and suspension. I can do some pretty hairy corning before Nanny shuts me down:

I look through the turn as best as I can, looking for other vehicles or obstacles and to get a feel for the radius
I come in hot then brake briskly as I enter the turn
I drop 1-2 gears depending the anticipated speed and what gear I am presently in.
I shift weight toward the corner and lower the center of gravity by slouching over the glove box
I roll on the throttle hard and accelerate through the corner, again looking far ahead for gravel, pot holes or anything else that make for a bad day
I look in my rear view mirror to see who I left behind, lol

We have a lot of round-abouts here, most are rated at 15 mph but feel fine at 25. Using this method I come in at start the corner at 30-35 and come out at 60-70 and it is a great feeling. If I cheat on the 2 lane ones I can come in at 40, lift one wheel as I hit the 3/4 mark and then get scolded by Nanny, lol.. as I top 80 at the other end.

In cars I used to use this method to drift around the corners, counter steering but Nanny hates that. I can get a short drift of the back wheel on a 90 degree corner though, easy when wet, much harder on dry pavement.

RUOUTHERE
06-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Just spent two weeks riding some of the best roads in SC, NC, GA, VA, TN and W. VA and as a newbie, learning a lot about how to ride 3 wheels in and out of corners, up hill and down. With the semi-auto I learned you must downshift manually to get on the power band coming out if corners. Going up hill fast around corners is easier than going down hill around corners fast. The RT needs Ron's sway bar and most likely stiffer shocks to lessen the body lean especially down hill. Find the right air pressure helps especially in the back, found my rear went from 30 psi cold to 40 psi after running the Back of the Dragon. Lowered it to 27 cold to start the day, we had less tire sliding. Etc. Like others have said, brake before the corner, the Spdyer gets unsettled if you brake in the corner, find the apex and power out, most if all don't ride over your head. You'll get faster as you learn more about your machine.

cafejimlv
06-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Day five on the Spyder definitely smoother.:clap:

cafejimlv
06-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Just spent two weeks riding some of the best roads in SC, NC, GA, VA, TN and W. VA and as a newbie, learning a lot about how to ride 3 wheels in and out of corners, up hill and down. With the semi-auto I learned you must downshift manually to get on the power band coming out if corners. Going up hill fast around corners is easier than going down hill around corners fast. The RT needs Ron's sway bar and most likely stiffer shocks to lessen the body lean especially down hill. Find the right air pressure helps especially in the back, found my rear went from 30 psi cold to 40 psi after running the Back of the Dragon. Lowered it to 27 cold to start the day, we had less tire sliding. Etc. Like others have said, brake before the corner, the Spdyer gets unsettled if you brake in the corner, find the apex and power out, most if all don't ride over your head. You'll get faster as you learn more about your machine.

I've toured from NYC to Memphis on two wheels. (Including the Dragon)

Bob Denman
06-15-2014, 07:52 AM
It's time to do it again; on the Trypod! :D :2thumbs:

StanProff
06-15-2014, 09:32 PM
With all this talk about how to take turns it sounds like everyone's in a race. I have never really thought about how to really push the spyder in the twisties.
I've ridden plenty of them here in the hills of East Tennessee and North Carolina but I don't drive it like I'm in a race. Maybe we need to have a track day at Barber Motor Sports on their track. Now that would be fun!

gonker
06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
BajaRon bar and Elkas... carry the inside front wheel 6 inches off the ground... rear tire chirps a little... no nanny? Yup, the 14 really does corner better than my 10 did.

Denny B.
06-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I've been down shifting and throttle through the turn like two wheeler.

I apply the same rule I applied with 100k miles on a Harley: before entering a turn, get your speed down to where you don't need to brake.

gonker
07-25-2014, 07:19 PM
I read the whole thread and didn't see it. If I missed it... sorry. Don't forget YOU. Left turn press down with your foot on the right peg. Press into the knee pad with your left knee. The idea is to use your legs to support your body slinging around, NOT your arms and shoulders. As you turn your upper body tends to continue on straight and you will grab the handlebars tighter. all that weight will leverage the suspension to the outside of the turn, results in more body roll and more weight on the outside tire. Try this.... stand beside your spyder "with the engine off and park brake set, of course". Push on the end of your handlebar hard straight toward the other end of the bar. Now push hard on the kneepad below the glovebox. Notice how the body doesn't roll as much? Also get used to pulling on the inside handlebar instead of pushing on the outside one. This will help you transfer your weight where it belongs, on the inside of the curve. I ride 2up on the 2014rt and have not found a 2 wheeler yet that could keep up on the twisties. My wife does a lot of the weight shifting work too. She has never been a passive passenger. I have the Bajaron bar and Elkas and run the rear one notch below top (hard enough...all the way up makes the rear hop on bumps). I've chirped the rear in corners and never had the granny shut me down. Now steep downhill twisties...granny tries to kill me. FYI...