PDA

View Full Version : New (used 2008 RS SM5) Lots of Problems

Jdmindiana
06-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi Gang, I'm new the the Spyder Life, I purchased my spyder last year in august, I took it to the Dealer in Martinsville, IN and he told me He would do the 4K Service which included Computer diagnostics, Brake Inspection and Oil Change, We waited 3 months for them to finish, then my bill was over $700.00. The brakes are so noisy that when entering an intersection I need no horn, pretty much everyone just looks and rolls their windows up. Now after just 1500 miles the engine sputters and coughs, Like its not getting fuel. I have read some of these posts, but I am not sure what Re calls were on the machine or if they were done. Is there anyone that has a list of recalls that were mandatory ?. We have installed a new seat and tank bag and new wind shield. In addition We have only one key and my local dealer here wants $385.00 for a spare. My dealer tells me that he can charge me anything he wants cause the spyder is such a special machine. His rate is $150 per hour and the wait time is just months too long. We have had a bad oil sensor, parking brake, and replaced the battery, and Im wondering if the repairs are gonna be too high to continue with the operation of the machine ?. I have a long list of issues, Hard brakes?, Back firing?, 21mpg?, Foot position is their any relief for tall riders ?. Your suggestions please, thank you

Chupaca
06-12-2014, 03:23 PM
you need to run away from this dealer. If they hooked it up to the buds system they would have to make all the updates bulletins etc missing. The sputtering could be a series of things from bad gas to poor air flow from bad plug wires/plugs to coils. Check vaccum lines as well. There is an app for both iphone, android and computers free done by Roger here that will show you how to see the codes for problems you may be having. Along with a lot of other information. A must have for spyder owners. Brakes could be many things as well. Dirty disk, debris embeded in pads etc...keys can be cloned at kwick keys for $35.00. Sorry you ended up there. :gaah::gaah:

oldgoat
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. It must be taking away any enjoyment you initially had in buying it.

In 2012 I purchased a low mileage 2008GS from a reputable dealer. When I picked it up the head salesman told me that they had plugged in "BUDS" which is the Can-Am Spyder computer diagnostic system & had reprogrammed the fuel injection system to meet the revised Can-Am specs. He also told me that all the recalls had been done to my machine including the most important of all, the replacement of the electrical power steering unit.

All has been OK now for 8000 miles. My rear brake is very noisy as the machine rolls to a stop & I push on the brake pedal, but this is a common fault. I also get over 30mpg.

Now, I do my own oil changes & maintenance & have replaced the spark plugs ( a mammoth operation to get the front one out) & I have replaced the plug wires with ones purchased from Bajaron, a sponsor of this site (see the list on the Home page).

You may not want to do your own maintenance or feel confident in doing it, but you do need to find another dealer & have your Spyder hooked up to the BUDS system for fault diagnosis & update info. There are good dealers around.

Good luck.

donec
06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Are you refering to FLAT OUT POWERSPORTS? They have a Platinum rating with BRP. If not maybe you should check them out instead of your current dealer?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-12-2014, 03:46 PM
you need to run away from this dealer. If they hooked it up to the buds system they would have to make all the updates bulletins etc missing. The sputtering could be a series of things from bad gas to poor air flow from bad plug wires/plugs to coils. Check vaccum lines as well. There is an app for both iphone, android and computers free done by Roger here that will show you how to see the codes for problems you may be having. Along with a lot of other information. A must have for spyder owners. Brakes could be many things as well. Dirty disk, debris embeded in pads etc...keys can be cloned at kwick keys for $35.00. Sorry you ended up there. :gaah::gaah:

:agree: :agree: :agree:...WOW..I feel you'er pain.....Welcome to the " STEALER FROM HELL CLUB "......you are having sooooooo many issues you need to find an honest dealer......At this point it would be worth it for you to get in touch DIRECTLY with LEN at PITBULL MOTORSPORTS in Springfield Mo. and explain the problems ..............It's not going to be cheap BUUUUUUUT....HE WILL NOT RIP YOU OFF........and they can and will be able to fix everything fixable.......Good Luck ....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-12-2014, 03:47 PM
You have found the proverbial dealer from :cus:

Run, run, run from the dealer. Three months to complete a service, $700 (if a non-valve adjustment service), both items are way beyond normal. They can charge what they want because the :spyder2: is special--:yikes:.

It does sound like they are trying to run you off and really don't want to service :spyder2:'s.

It also sounds like they do not have a clue about servicing the :ani29: or how to treat a customer.

They now have some free advertising that I hope will go along way in warning other customers.

To top it off, I would recommend you contact BRPcare.com. Tell them your story. BRP should be aware. IMO--of course.

OJ UK
06-12-2014, 03:50 PM
You're dealer is either incompetent or is out to shaft you or both!
Find another. Sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience. $385 for a key!! :shocked:
As we (sometimes) say in England "He's having a laugh!"

Jdmindiana
06-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Are you refering to FLAT OUT POWERSPORTS? They have a Platinum rating with BRP. If not maybe you should check them out instead of your current dealer?

Maybe i'm not understanding somthing but to change the oil and clean the rear brake should not take 3 months to complete or cost some $700.00 to complete. in addition to the $150 per labor charge. If that normal for a spyder than I'm the one with an issue. Sorry dont to be a smart "_aa" just that I think thats too much to pay for service.

Jdmindiana
06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
I have looked and found one, But I thought I would ask everyone if they have tried the one from BRP and if its accurate and worth the price ?

coz
06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
try to learn how to do your own oil changes. this will save you tons of money. if not, a local bike shop could do it pretty cheap.
the brakes are well known for squeeling. a product called CRC DISC BRAKE QUIET works very well. it's a liquid that is applied to the back of the pads. not hard to do.
sounds like you need spark plug wires, maybe spark plugs too. original plug wires are also well known to fail. this would cause the poor running condition.
the riding position can be greatly improved with handlebar risers and highway pegs / floorboards. i bought easyrisers, and made my own floorboards.

donec
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Maybe i'm not understanding somthing but to change the oil and clean the rear brake should not take 3 months to complete or cost some $700.00 to complete. in addition to the $150 per labor charge. If that normal for a spyder than I'm the one with an issue. Sorry dont to be a smart "_aa" just that I think thats too much to pay for service.You are quite correct that cost and the time is completly unacceptable to me. You need to find another dealer Also you should report FLAT OUT POWERSPORTS to BRP because their treatment of you does not match their rating from BRP and should be corrected. Last time I had an oil change on the 2009 GS I used to have it cost me $180.00 and they adjusted the parking brake for free all while I waited. My 2013 RS has a maintenance agreement so I don't worry about the cost on it.

Bottom line find another dealer.

otter28169
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
I have a copy of the manual on my Laptop. Between that and this website, my spyder will never again go to the dealer for service. When you tell three different dealers that you have a 2012 RS-S, and nobody knows what machine you are talking about :yikes:.........it is time to take matters into your own hands.

Just sayin'............

coz
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
never go there again. all of your problems can be taken care of at a competent indy shop, for a fraction of what a dealer would charge. what is the total mileage on the bike? it may need exhaust gaskets too. again, they are cheap parts, and not hard to change , or just a tightening of the exhaust clamps. this can also cause some backfiring, and poor running. don't be affraid to ask questions here.:thumbup:

Big Arm
06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
I have looked and found one, But I thought I would ask everyone if they have tried the one from BRP and if its accurate and worth the price ?

Try this .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-2010-2011-Can-Am-Spyder-GS-RS-Repair-Maintenance-Parts-Manual-/251283890342?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3a81afe0a6&vxp=mtr
as others have said, try to do as much as possible yourself if you can. This web site is the first place to come to if you have questions on any thing Spyder. Great bunch of people here to help you. Definitely find another dealer, and report this one to BRP like what you posted.
Congrats on your purchase and Happy Riding.

flaggerphil
06-12-2014, 04:41 PM
That dealer is not worth returning to. I don't know how hard it would be in your location to find another, but you really need to. There is no way ANY dealer should have your bike for three months to do the work they did...if they did it.

Leave. Now. Find another. That's what I did with my first dealer and it worked out great.

Bob Denman
06-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Well anyway... :welcome:
Sorry to hear that your dealer is not exactly behaving the way that you'd like them to... :gaah:
The gang has already got you covered pretty well; take some time peeking around in here, and you'll find a thread about the "Do's and Dont's".
Do a bit of digging around in there, and you'll have a lot of good information to absorb! :2thumbs:

Rd_Runner
06-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Hi Gang, I'm new the the Spyder Life, I purchased my spyder last year in august, I took it to the Dealer in Martinsville, IN and he told me He would do the 4K Service which included Computer diagnostics, Brake Inspection and Oil Change, We waited 3 months for them to finish, then my bill was over $700.00. The brakes are so noisy that when entering an intersection I need no horn, pretty much everyone just looks and rolls their windows up. Now after just 1500 miles the engine sputters and coughs, Like its not getting fuel. I have read some of these posts, but I am not sure what Re calls were on the machine or if they were done. Is there anyone that has a list of recalls that were mandatory ?. We have installed a new seat and tank bag and new wind shield. In addition We have only one key and my local dealer here wants $385.00 for a spare. My dealer tells me that he can charge me anything he wants cause the spyder is such a special machine. His rate is $150 per hour and the wait time is just months too long. We have had a bad oil sensor, parking brake, and replaced the battery, and Im wondering if the repairs are gonna be too high to continue with the operation of the machine ?. I have a long list of issues, Hard brakes?, Back firing?, 21mpg?, Foot position is their any relief for tall riders ?. Your suggestions please, thank you

You don't mention your mechanical skills. If you have some reasonable (you don't have to be an expert mechanic) you can buy an electronic Service Manual and do your own wrenching and save yourself a huge amount of money. I would run not walk from your current dealer (dealers like this are know as stealers in the Harley-Davidson world).

It may be worth it take it to a different but competent Can AM dealer and have then check it out with Buds and have them apply any outstanding computer updates and technical service bulletins. If you can do it, the very first thing I would highly recommend is for you to check the two rubber vacuum lines that feed the MAP sensor as identified by an earlier poster. Cracked and leaking vacuum lines will definitely cause run problems. This a common problem. When they are found people replace them with high temperature silicon lines.

And most of all I really hope you can get your bike running reliably and then enjoy it!!!!

dndfindley
06-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Never ever return to that dealership. I am on my 2d Spyder and the dealer gets me in and out in 1 day...or less.

Tango
06-13-2014, 08:18 AM
$150/hr? :yikes: My dealer gets $90/hr.. Has a highly trained tech., up on all his training! :thumbup: And a new key retails for $47! :banghead: Tom :trike:

DrewNJ
06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
If your interested in selling it and being done with it, shoot me a message on how much your looking to get. I'm looking for a mechanical basket case to do a motor swap on.
Thanks
Doug

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lou
06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
You need to turn this Dealer in to BRP!
My 4600 service was $267.00 and was completed in a day including doing a recall on sealing the fuse box (removing entire front of an RT model), re-flashing ECM.
You are dealing with a thief!!!!!!!!!!!!!