PDA

View Full Version : Any one recommend a amp and speakers for the RT?

bluestratos
06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I want to add an amp and speakers to the system to get some decent volumn and hopefully sound. Anyone doe this and if so what do you recommend? I want a small amp and factory sized water proof speakers

bluestratos
06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Wow, can't be new ground....

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Wow, can't be new ground....

....:gaah:....I reported this on the General forum.................I bought JBL GTO 528 front & 428 rear speakers.............if these are not waterproof I don't know what is ......I don't think with these any extra power will be needed....They are 2 ohm...not 4 ohm like the BRP speakers ......This like doubling the power of the factory radio...........I am almost done my install and will be reporting on the results soon........:thumbup:....Mikeguyver :roflblack: .......PS both pair only cost me $100 total delivered...:thumbup::thumbup:.................... If you think you need more POWER you can always add on to this later

bluestratos
06-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I am not worried so much about the cost, I want a well matched marine amp to speaker set up. There is a great place to mount an amp under the left side bag, so I am looking for a waterproof amp to drive 4 new speakers. From what I recall if my speakers are rated at 100 watt RMS then I need an amp that will put out 150 amps, ohms likely will be 4 all the way around. I prefer a class D but the 2014 can hand class A/B power wise.

Recommendations?

bluestratos
06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Seriously, no one has done this on an RT? Well time to start the research on my own.

Thanks

Bob Denman
06-12-2014, 07:39 AM
J&M makes a real high wuality replacement set of speakers for the RT.
But amps? :dontknow:

bluestratos
06-12-2014, 07:57 PM
I had the J&M and while they were some improvement they are not worth the money. I am going with the compact Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier and the Polk Ad speakers. The speakers are rated at 45 watts RMS and the amp is rated at 50 RMS so it is a good match. There are two places that I want to see about mounting the amp, in the well behind the right access panel or under the left hand saddle bag.

I doubt the stock system is over 20 watts and more likely less closer to 10 so 50 should be able to pump out some good sound.

I want to pick up the high power inputs right at the radio and run new wire from there. I will start with 2 -4 wire water proof disconnects and run directly to the amp from their. I have a 20 pin connector I will use to feed the amp in and out, a total of 17 wires including the remote turn on. I will run 10 gauge wire directly from my accessory controlled fuse panel I installed via a larger 2 wire water proof disconnect.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-12-2014, 08:27 PM
I had the J&M and while they were some improvement they are not worth the money. I am going with the compact Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier and the Polk Ad speakers. The speakers are rated at 45 watts RMS and the amp is rated at 50 RMS so it is a good match. There are two places that I want to see about mounting the amp, in the well behind the right access panel or under the left hand saddle bag.

I doubt the stock system is over 20 watts and more likely less closer to 10 so 50 should be able to pump out some good sound.

I want to pick up the high power inputs right at the radio and run new wire from there. I will start with 2 -4 wire water proof disconnects and run directly to the amp from their. I have a 20 pin connector I will use to feed the amp in and out, a total of 17 wires including the remote turn on. I will run 10 gauge wire directly from my accessory controlled fuse panel I installed via a larger 2 wire water proof disconnect.

...How many OHMs are those speakers ? ? ?.................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

bluestratos
06-13-2014, 09:13 AM
They are 4 ohm speakers, if I were to have used J&Ms they are 2.8 so it would have put out more like 75 watts per channel.

...How many OHMs are those speakers ? ? ?.................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-13-2014, 01:43 PM
They are 4 ohm speakers, if I were to have used J&Ms they are 2.8 so it would have put out more like 75 watts per channel.

I'm sure you know this this but others might not ........4 ohm speakers need double the power that 2 ohm speakers need to get similar volume and clarity..................IMHO..................... ..........That's why I went with 2 OHM speakers......................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

bluestratos
06-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Not all amps can handle 2 ohm loads, in my case it can:
300 Watts Maximum Power Output75 Watts x 4 Continuous @ 2-Ohms
50 Watts X 4 Continuous @ 4-Ohms
This based on the real value of RMS, not max rating that the industry uses to lure the unwary. While the math is correct that 2 ohms does not prove out by the specs on the amp so not sure, maybe due to RMS vs Max?