PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my Spyder

sraab928
09-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been admiring these bikes for a while and finally got the green light for a test ride yesterday. (took lots of begging...lol) Well what a ride it was! When we got back I placed my order for a red one. They say it should take about 4 weeks to come in - I cant wait! :2excited: Of course just in time for the weather to get colder but who cares... Im riding anyway! :2thumbs:

I do have a question for you guys. Who do you use for insurance? I am waiting on a quote from Rider (the insurance company I have used before) - I did get an online Geiko quote but was shocked at the $800/yr price (more than my car:mad:). I have been licensed (motorcycle) for 20 years, I am married and have no accidents or tickets on my record.

docdoru
09-14-2008, 07:16 AM
welcome :thumbup:

cisaacs
09-14-2008, 07:51 AM
:congrats: on your order. I use Farmers Mutual insurance. Everyone else here wanted between $800 and $1200 including geico and progressive. The agent had to call it in due to the computer system was not set up for the spyder and I had to change my car insurance to them but it insurance on my car was cheaper with them anyways.

Now the hard part is ahead.The wait will be the longest weeks of your life but it will be worth it. :banghead: Now is the time to start buying extras so you will be ready.

Greg H.
09-14-2008, 07:53 AM
welcome

spyderjack
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
I don't think thats a great rate. I pay half of that and I think its high ,I have freinds with Harleys that pay half of what I pay .I have American family and I would look around.
spyderjack:doorag:

Lamonster
09-14-2008, 07:58 AM
welcome and :congrats::spyder::yes:

sraab928
09-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys..... Im really excited -- I did already order the rear sport rack and back rest. The next thing I am thinking about is raising the bars as I could tell from the 30 minute test run that my back would appreciate being more upright.

I am going to continue to shop the rates... I was wondering if it was because it was a three wheeler or something? Maybe its still too new of a design for insurance companies to get comfy with? Who knows. To me it felt really stable and reassuring, just had to get used to no front brake lever...lol kept grabbing for it and it wasn't there.

igor
09-14-2008, 10:12 AM
:2thumbs:welcome

baldev
09-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I went thru an agent and got a quote for $400 in pennsylvania. I am quite internet savy but for insurance etc love going thru an agent as they are tremendous help in time of crisis.

dragonheart
09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Quote: "Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been admiring these bikes for a while and finally got the green light for a test ride yesterday. (took lots of begging...lol) Well what a ride it was! When we got back I placed my order for a red one. They say it should take about 4 weeks to come in - I cant wait! :2excited: "

Just wondering, but I placed my order for a yellow on 8/11 and chose the yellow because I was told the red would take even longer. As it is, I wasn't guaranteed delivery until 10/18 (if it doesn't come by then, I could get my deposit back). Did your paperwork actually say you could get yours in 4 weeks or was this just the dealer telling you this?

Anxious in TN

one2doo
09-14-2008, 01:34 PM
welcome:congrats:

sraab928
09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Quote: "Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been admiring these bikes for a while and finally got the green light for a test ride yesterday. (took lots of begging...lol) Well what a ride it was! When we got back I placed my order for a red one. They say it should take about 4 weeks to come in - I cant wait! :2excited: "

Just wondering, but I placed my order for a yellow on 8/11 and chose the yellow because I was told the red would take even longer. As it is, I wasn't guaranteed delivery until 10/18 (if it doesn't come by then, I could get my deposit back). Did your paperwork actually say you could get yours in 4 weeks or was this just the dealer telling you this?

Anxious in TN

Dealer said they have been averaging 4 weeks - they put approx 4 weeks on the sales order. He said sometimes they come in sooner - sometimes a week later - We will know for sure when the confirmation comes in - well at least thats what they told me.

jwfranklin
09-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Anxious in TN

I found out Friday that when you get your Red Spyder depends on which model. There were some 08 Red SE5's realesed. The Red SM5's will all be 09"s and will not be shipped till Oct. My Red SM5 was ordered the last week of July, with delivery expected the 2nd week of Sept. Last week was told showed shipping in Sept. This week showed shipping in Oct and being changed to 09. My dealer emailed BRP asking when delivery could be expected, no answer as yet. I would think there are More than several Red SM5's in front of you. If yours is a SM5.

Wayne

sraab928
09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Well it is definitely a SM5 - I guess we shall see what the confirmation says this week. It is what it is.... Not much I can do - just happy I am getting it. If its an 09 - Bonus for me as the price did go up (or at least that's what I was told).

Smylinacha
09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
welcome:congrats:
Not sure why Geico is quoting people so high - we are only paying half that and we have Geico - we use them for everything though so maybe we get a discount :dontknow:

Roaddog2
09-14-2008, 08:27 PM
:congrats:welcomehttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Flags/flag38.gif:spyder:

drifter
09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Geico quoted me $1167 a year but I have never had a motorcycle licence before. Is this a resonable quote?:shocked:

Coverages Limits 2008 CAN AM Spyder Roadster Bodily Injury Liability(BI)$25,000 / $50,000 $96.00 Property Damage Liability(PD)$25,000 $42.00 Medical Payments(MED)I decline this coverage $0.00 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury(UMBI)$25,000 / $50,000 $148.00 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage(UMPD)$25,000 $68.00 Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury(UIMBI)I decline this coverage $0.00 Underinsured Motorist Property Damage(UIMPD)I decline this coverage $0.00 Comprehensive(COMP)$1,000 deductible $150.00 Collision(COLL)$1,000 deductible $653.00 Towing(TOW)$50 limit per incident $10.00

pphantom538
09-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been admiring these bikes for a while and finally got the green light for a test ride yesterday. (took lots of begging...lol) Well what a ride it was! When we got back I placed my order for a red one. They say it should take about 4 weeks to come in - I cant wait! :2excited: Of course just in time for the weather to get colder but who cares... Im riding anyway! :2thumbs:

I do have a question for you guys. Who do you use for insurance? I am waiting on a quote from Rider (the insurance company I have used before) - I did get an online Geiko quote but was shocked at the $800/yr price (more than my car:mad:). I have been licensed (motorcycle) for 20 years, I am married and have no accidents or tickets on my record.
Had progressive. Picked up spyder last Thursday. They wanted $1,277 to add to my existing bike policy. Ryder wanted $700 for both bike's. I now have rider. By the way, I'm in Monmouth Cty, about 1 hr away.
Congrats and enjoy it when it arrives.

SpyderBerry
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I ordered my Spyder on July 24th. It's due any day now... hope so, plan to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy in October to check out the leaves.

BeRight
09-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I am also shopping insurance as well. Online progressive was 780 and Geico 573.

Most interesting that the Spyder is in their online database!

sraab928
09-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Seems to be quite a wide variety in insurance prices... I have Geiko for car insurance so I figured they would be cheaper. We shall see what Rider comes in at. I may go to a local agent and see what they can do as well.

Im really looking forward to being part of the Spyder community!

jwfranklin
09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I ordered my Spyder on July 24th. It's due any day now... hope so, plan to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy in October to check out the leaves.

From what I've been told if it is any color but red should be there before end of month.

Wayne

gjco
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
welcome:congrats::b2b:
I went through state farm and it cost me $44 a month so i guess that works out to $528 a year. Hope that helps good luck:thumbup:

sraab928
09-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys.... I did get a quote from Rider today... Quality Plus Pkg... $682.00 per year. I did some other quotes - if you drop comp and collision and just do the liability it goes down to $250 a year. Its weird as living in NJ the bike with get seasonal use, garage stored etc. I just don't understand why my car insurance is cheaper.

igor
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
:congrats::2thumbs:

sraab928
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
My dealer spoke to the factory today - My Red SM5 is going to be a 2009 Model - They are starting 2009 production in October. Mine is slated for early November delivery. 2008 Reds are sold out. I am happy with the 09 change and if early November is met that would good. At this point I'm just practicing patience.

Zerocool
09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Who do you use for insurance?

:congrats:

Progressive. $388/yr in CT.

Geico wanted $1200, the agent at Geico told me they didn't know how to rate the Spyder, at that time (04/09), so the default is high risk.

The Progressive rep told me they can beat most competitive rates because Progressive insures the most motorcycles. That said, some states prevent Progressive from offering rates - I forgot the reason though.

SSR
09-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm with Geico and they charged me $617/yr