PDA

View Full Version : RT LIMITED fender running/turn signal lihts??

Mad Mac
06-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Here's a question for you owners out there who own RT/s or limited's. Why didn't BRP make the amber reflector on top of the fenders function like running lights and/or turn signals? Seems that would have made the machine more visable at night to traffic. Just an idea or does someone make a kit for that? Can't sleep and packing for a ride tomorro and was looking at machine with too much time on my hands and my brain was actually working!! Just an idea.

Cruzr Joe
06-07-2014, 10:17 PM
TricLed makes lights for the fenders, but they are not cheap.

Cruzr Joe

happyspyder2039
06-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Cruzr Joe
:agree:

Chupaca
06-07-2014, 10:24 PM
probably they knew there would be outside manufacturers who would take care of that for them..at your expense and they knock it off their price..wouldn't cost that much and the're there anyway but can't use logic in a ilogical world...:roflblack:

Magdave
06-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Where can I get a male and female plug for the fender light. I have a set of leds I want to install on the "A" arm and do not want to cut or splice just make an extension that will plug in between the plugs that I will solder the wires to. I am open to other suggestions to get this done too. I see many have done this.
Thanks in advanced

RDM
06-08-2014, 01:44 AM
I have installed these lights replacing the reflectors. You have two options when ordering. 1-Replace the reflectors with running lights and 2-Replace the reflectors with running/turn signals. The running/turn signals takes a module and installing a wire from each of the mirror wiring harness. I chose the running/ turn signal option. The problems I had are as follows: The fender wiring harness and watertight connectors located under the A frame are two wire. If you choose the running/ turn signal you will need a third wire which leads to another decision. Install a signal wire from each mirror wiring straight to the wiring in the fenders by passing the factory connectors (doesn't permit quick disconnect of fender lighting) or you can replace the two wire connectors with three wire. I chose to replace the connectors. Your new wire will not fit into the factory wiring harness sleeve which leads to another decision. Install your new wire on the outside of the sleeve with wire ties or install a new sleeve over the factory harness and your new wire. I installed a new piece of heat shrink over the factory harness and new wire. You will find plenty of existing cables to attach the new wire to once you are inside the body. The next issue is taping into the factory fender wires with the connectors TriLed furnishes. You will see under the top fender cover at the intersection of the front brace and the fender light there isn't much room and I had difficulty getting the connectors to lay in the space and permit the cover to go back on. I ended up using male/female butt connectors and running the two front light wires down the fender past all the obstructions. This leads to the module install. Follow the wiring instructions very carefully. Install the module past the obstructions and tape it in place on the fender. You will find that getting all the wire, module, and connections in the fender and avoiding all the pinch points and screw holes is a task. Make sure you test the lights and turn signal before you put it all back together. If your turn signals flash fast after install is complete, do this. Turn on key and hold down the four way flasher button for thirty seconds. Turn off key. Turn key back on and lights should flash normal. TriLed provided this fix for me. Tried this on another Spyder last weekend during a group ride and worked for him also. I know this is long but the kit is costly and install is not easy in my opinion.

mastertek2000
06-08-2014, 04:53 AM
Where can I get a male and female plug for the fender light. I have a set of leds I want to install on the "A" arm and do not want to cut or splice just make an extension that will plug in between the plugs that I will solder the wires to. I am open to other suggestions to get this done too. I see many have done this.
Thanks in advanced

magdave you can find any plug you want here

http://www.delcity.net/store/Wire-Connectors-&-Quick-Splices/r_IS1028?mkwid=sgW6uR7VW&crid=38587143989&mp_kw=automotive%20connectors&mp_mt=b&gclid=CLqu2t-A6r4CFW4R7Aodi0EAmQ

http://www.amazon.com/5pcs-Waterproof-Electrical-Connector-Female/dp/B00HG5CW4E

http://www.aliexpress.com/male-female-waterproof-plug_price.html

http://www.dhgate.com/hot-product/hot-2-pin-waterproof-plug.html

Mad Mac
06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Thanks,may have to check into the cost and save it for a winter project.Time to ride!!

erikkelly
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
:agree:

My bike is actually at the TricLED shop as we speak, getting a ton of work done to it. Fender lights, suspension cross bar lights, body strip lighting, mirror turn signal lights, back brake light kit, underbody light kit, cat bypass as well as an ultimate seat install. I pick her up next week. I will be highly visible from all sides soon!

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks in advanced
The connectors are TE Connectivity/AMP Superseal series 1.5. If you are into putting together bits and pieces you can find all the bits you need here: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15003&langId=-1&storeId=10194&categoryId=800000006500&st=series%201.5&mf=100010&pageSize=25&showResults=true
I found this to be the best site for selection and price. I was able to adequately crimp all the pins with small needle nose pliers and then soldered some of them.

DJFaninTN
06-09-2014, 11:56 PM

Cruzr Joe

but they are the bomb when you get them on there. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I like the idea of actual lights in the fenders instead of reflectors. Might I add, on a $30K machine--it should be standard? :dontknow:

I would rather have more lights than a Garmin. But--that's just me. Add some saddle bag lights and a light bar on the trunk for the swap out.

Ben Burped
10-11-2014, 10:35 PM
There is a better idea than the odd connectors that come with too many light kits. I realize that because I have been an electrician for 31 years. There is a wonderful connector made by 3M that allows you to connect a second wire that lays beside the first wire and doesn't cut or damage the factory harness. The connector simply displaces a tiny amount of insulation on both wires. I normally put in a small amount of electrical grease to make sure there will never be any problem.

Cruzr Joe
10-11-2014, 11:38 PM
but they are the bomb when you get them on there. :thumbup:

I agree

Cruzr Joe

PMK
10-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Alrighty then...so is it worth a shot to try and convert the oem 13 / 14 style fender light to a marker and turn signal light?

Thinking outside the box for a moment, so please don't close the lid, tape it up and leave me out here.

PK

nhoj
10-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks in advanced

TricLed themselves have adaptor cables. Kind of hard to find on their site....

http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Misc.html

Scroll way down to "Hardware that make installation easier and faster - OEM style connectors"

Magdave
10-12-2014, 10:16 AM
TricLed themselves have adaptor cables. Kind of hard to find on their site....

http://tricled.com/TricLed.com/Misc.html

Scroll way down to "Hardware that make installation easier and faster - OEM style connectors"

That is what I ended up using :thumbup: