PDA

View Full Version : TOWING "ALUMA" TRAILER NEED SOME HELP???

Mad Mac
06-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Picked up 14 RT LIMITED 3 days ago and had dealer install hitch.Have an "ALUMA" trailer that I towed w/my WING. Has five round male end on trailer and dealer tells me I just need a nine round from RT w/ five round female end. Has anyone heard/seen one of these adapters? I have wire boat/motorcycle/utility trailers before and have never seen one. Thanks for the help.

JB3wheeler
06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
I have the same set-up: Aluma trailer, 2014 RT LTD with BRP trailer hitch kit. Here's what I did:

I bought RT-622 tongue harness from BRP, part #710003227.
On etrailer.com, I bought #PK11502 Pollak 5-pole, round pin trailer wiring socket (vehicle end); bought #118137 mounting bracket for 4, 5 and 6 way connectors; and bought #18136 no-drill mount bracket long.
Starting at the bike end (under left saddlebag) you will plug in number 1 above, run wire down to near left side of trailer hitch arm (I did not use the two wire clips there) and this is where you will cut #1 above to the length you need to wire into PK11502 (leave some extra wire or a loop in case you ever have to redo it), which is attached to 118137, which is attached to 18136. I mount 18136 to the trailer hitch arm on the bike (left side from back, facing out), between the 2 wire clips using the band clamp that comes with it. I did turn 118137 90 degrees counterclockwise (from the top) and re-drilled the second mounting hole onto 18136 so the lid on PK11502 faces towards the rear direction of the bike (i.e., faces trailer). As for the wiring: don't ask how a bike knows or the trailer knows, but my brother can pull this same trailer on his gold wing and uses all five wiring terminals on his PK11502 and the trailer works AND you and I use 4 wires and 4 of the 5 terminals on PK11502 and the trailer works. On our Spyders, the turn and brake wires are one in the same and the Spyder trailer hitch kit makes the trailer work using 4 wires. When you disassemble PK11502 to do the wiring, you will see small numbers at one end of the green wiring block that is inside. The 4 wires from #1 above go to (on PK11502): Yellow (left turn and brake) goes to #5; Green (right turn and brake) goes to #1; White (ground) goes to #2; and Brown (running lights) goes to #3. Terminal #4 is not used.
After testing, I removed the whole assembly (I did cut some excess off the end of the clamp) and store it in a bag until I need it for a trip with the trailer - I also put a socket driver for the band clamp in the bag. I don't use the trailer much, so no sense having wires on the bike if I don't have to. Having a portable assembly allows you to return the bike to "stock" in 5 minutes or less.

Hope you can understand this and it helps. Good luck.

mastertek2000
06-07-2014, 04:48 AM
mad mac you have the square 4 pin connector on the bike correct do it this way will cowst you around $15

you need this wire for your trailer You will connect right and left brake wires to the right and left turn signal/brake wires and ground your all set
http://www.delcity.net/store/4!Way-Square-Connector/p_8892.h_85143.t_1.r_IF1003?gclid=CKudxvLa370CFe9Q OgodH2cA3g

Mad Mac
06-07-2014, 02:17 PM
I have the same set-up: Aluma trailer, 2014 RT LTD with BRP trailer hitch kit. Here's what I did:

I bought RT-622 tongue harness from BRP, part #710003227.
On etrailer.com, I bought #PK11502 Pollak 5-pole, round pin trailer wiring socket (vehicle end); bought #118137 mounting bracket for 4, 5 and 6 way connectors; and bought #18136 no-drill mount bracket long.
Starting at the bike end (under left saddlebag) you will plug in number 1 above, run wire down to near left side of trailer hitch arm (I did not use the two wire clips there) and this is where you will cut #1 above to the length you need to wire into PK11502 (leave some extra wire or a loop in case you ever have to redo it), which is attached to 118137, which is attached to 18136. I mount 18136 to the trailer hitch arm on the bike (left side from back, facing out), between the 2 wire clips using the band clamp that comes with it. I did turn 118137 90 degrees counterclockwise (from the top) and re-drilled the second mounting hole onto 18136 so the lid on PK11502 faces towards the rear direction of the bike (i.e., faces trailer). As for the wiring: don't ask how a bike knows or the trailer knows, but my brother can pull this same trailer on his gold wing and uses all five wiring terminals on his PK11502 and the trailer works AND you and I use 4 wires and 4 of the 5 terminals on PK11502 and the trailer works. On our Spyders, the turn and brake wires are one in the same and the Spyder trailer hitch kit makes the trailer work using 4 wires. When you disassemble PK11502 to do the wiring, you will see small numbers at one end of the green wiring block that is inside. The 4 wires from #1 above go to (on PK11502): Yellow (left turn and brake) goes to #5; Green (right turn and brake) goes to #1; White (ground) goes to #2; and Brown (running lights) goes to #3. Terminal #4 is not used.
After testing, I removed the whole assembly (I did cut some excess off the end of the clamp) and store it in a bag until I need it for a trip with the trailer - I also put a socket driver for the band clamp in the bag. I don't use the trailer much, so no sense having wires on the bike if I don't have to. Having a portable assembly allows you to return the bike to "stock" in 5 minutes or less.

Hope you can understand this and it helps. Good luck.

Thanks lots for the info,that 5 round coupler just throws everything off(too heavy duty for a motorcycle application in my opinion). I use the trailer behind my jeep in which I wired w/a 5 round female end and the WING wiring kit was plug and play w/5 round female coupling.

Mad Mac
06-07-2014, 02:37 PM
mad mac you have the square 4 pin connector on the bike correct do it this way will cowst you around $15

you need this wire for your trailer You will connect right and left brake wires to the right and left turn signal/brake wires and ground your all set
http://www.delcity.net/store/4!Way-Square-Connector/p_8892.h_85143.t_1.r_IF1003?gclid=CKudxvLa370CFe9Q OgodH2cA3g

Actually have 5 round male end on trailer harness so I did not want to change it due to using trailer w/my jeep which has 5 round female end on bumper.Thanks for another possible fix.Ride safe!