PDA

View Full Version : Glad I was warned before I got hurt

otter28169
06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
While I was stopped at a gas station today a gentleman walked up to me and stated, " I tried one of those once". I asked him how he liked it thinking he wanted to talk about it. "I hated it" he replied. I started to say that it wasn't for everyone when he explained to me that the "physics of the machine were all wrong" and that I wouldn't be able to ride it if not for the computers. He then proceeded to tell me that the design was seriously flawed and unsafe and that the three wheel design couldn't be manufactured by volkswagen when they attempted it. By now I was just irritated and explained to him that the germans couldn't perfect the wankel rotory engine either and that the japanese had to finish that process. He told me that the two wheels being pushed by the one made it unsafe, because of the friction of the two wheels cannot be overcome by the one in the back. I asked him how snowmobiles could be ridden. "they don't have wheels" he stated. Because wheels cause so much more friction than skis. He then told me I needed to study physics. I calmly explained to him that I liked it and that opinions are like :cus:holes: everyone has one and it's usually full of :cus: I fired up the spyder, told him I was about to get a lesson in physics, and rode away.
If jealousy is an ugly thing, then ignorance is downright hideous.

Just sayin'...........

Yazz
06-06-2014, 07:48 PM
:agree: Ya know, some people think too hard....

SNOOPY
06-06-2014, 07:54 PM
WOW!

lol

Ride on my friend :thumbup:

gnirtsnod
06-06-2014, 07:57 PM
:agree: Ya know, some people think too hard....

I don't this guy was capable of thinking, just reciting what he's heard. Why are people so jealous?

spydaman60
06-06-2014, 08:02 PM
chad, you had more cool that I would have! nojoke i'd have left him talking to himself!!! :roflblack::roflblack:

StanProff
06-06-2014, 08:13 PM
What the guy said makes a lot of sense!!! Really think about it. I am sure he knows what he is talking about

IF THE REAR WHEEL WAS DOING THE STEERING :2thumbs: I was ask just last week if the spyder steered with the back wheel, the guy was standing there looking at it when he ask the question! I wanted to say Yes and add that it was front wheel drive but I was nice and didn't.

Dan_Ashley
06-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Back wheel can't push the front wheels? Then how did you ever get into the gas station?

Chupaca
06-06-2014, 09:55 PM
that much thinking on his part..I'm surprised he didn't hurt himself..:roflblack: Wonder how long he waited and watched to see if you would fall over...:roflblack::roflblack:

bigsmoke
06-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Well think about it, anytime we see a fellow
Spyder rider he has that big wide grin on his face like I do.
Gee what's wrong with enjoying the ride and the moment.
Must be lonely when you are always negative.

Princeau99
06-07-2014, 01:31 AM
I fired up the spyder, told him I was about to get a lesson in physics, and rode away.

Just sayin'..........

I seem to recall that physics "Proved" bumble bees could not fly!

bmccaffrey
06-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Should of told him if bull**** was music he would be a one man band!!!:roflblack::thumbup::clap::2thumbs:

JkRbbt
06-07-2014, 07:52 AM
I was out riding in the Black Hills and came upon a string of antique autos out for a beautiful afternoon cruise. They were headed down a slope with a stop light at the bottom. All made it thru the green except the last car. The light turned red and he tried to stop. He must have had her wound up to 30mph or so when he tried the brakes. The thing began to swerve. Too much momentum for the old brakes, and of course, no anti-skid computer! Well, everyone waited for him to clear the intersection and no harm to anyone, but I'll bet, back in the day, there was some ol' dude that would have warned him about how the machine was unstable and would never catch on... just a passing fad! I'm pretty well satisfied with my set-up, computers and all! Enjoy your rides! :thumbup:

Illinois Boy
06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I'll bet, back in the day, there was some ol' dude that would have warned him about how the machine was unstable and would never catch on... just a passing fad!

"If I listened to my customers... I would have been making a better buggy-whip."
...Henry Ford

oldguyinTX
06-07-2014, 12:35 PM
What a dope. I would bet that this idiot goes around looking for things in order to deliver his self righteous theories.

Dan McNally
06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
While I was stopped at a gas station today a gentleman walked up to me and stated, " I tried one of those once". I asked him how he liked it thinking he wanted to talk about it. "I hated it" he replied. I started to say that it wasn't for everyone when he explained to me that the "physics of the machine were all wrong" and that I wouldn't be able to ride it if not for the computers. He then proceeded to tell me that the design was seriously flawed and unsafe and that the three wheel design couldn't be manufactured by volkswagen when they attempted it. By now I was just irritated and explained to him that the germans couldn't perfect the wankel rotory engine either and that the japanese had to finish that process. He told me that the two wheels being pushed by the one made it unsafe, because of the friction of the two wheels cannot be overcome by the one in the back. I asked him how snowmobiles could be ridden. "they don't have wheels" he stated. Because wheels cause so much more friction than skis. He then told me I needed to study physics. I calmly explained to him that I liked it and that opinions are like :cus:holes: everyone has one and it's usually full of :cus: I fired up the spyder, told him I was about to get a lesson in physics, and rode away.

Just sayin'...........

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan: ""Well, the trouble with that :cus: is not that he's ignorant; it's just that he knows so much that isn't so." :banghead:

Jeriatric
06-07-2014, 12:50 PM
and you met a dinger. :roflblack:

Yowzer!!

ARtraveler
06-07-2014, 01:01 PM
You handled the situation very well. If you were to get off your :spyder2: immediately, call a wrecker and have them deliver it to the junkyard because it was unsafe--you probably would have still had an argument on your hands. :thumbup:

Some peoples minds will not be changed regardless of the facts. The fact that he came over and gave you his "sermon" on the subject indicates you were dealing with a real idiot. The guy needs to get a life.

Dan_Ashley
06-07-2014, 01:05 PM
As some of you know in one if my varied career interests, I taught statistics at the university, along with a bunch of business subjects. So I decided about a year ago to ascertain how much safer a three wheel motorcycle is than a two wheeler. I thought that the use of crash data would be inaccurate because many motorcycle accidents are unreported. So, as a surrogate for crash data I decided to use fatality statistics. Fatalities are very well researched and reported. I found out that there were 4,612 motorcycle fatalities in 2011. In 2011 there were only FOUR three wheel motorcycle fatalities in the US. You can't do meaningful statistics with a population of four. So, I had to conclude that three wheelers are a lot safer, but I can't put a percentage of how much safer. I can only say "a whole lot safer."

So, that dope is infected with the 1-D-10-T (idiot) virus more than .... um ...

mpsicon
06-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I think it's pretty funny when stupid people pretend to be smart.

Bob Denman
06-07-2014, 07:13 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Never get into an argument with an idiot...
You have to lower yourself down to their level, and then they beat you with their experience at it!

Dan_Ashley
06-07-2014, 07:24 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Never get into an argument with an idiot...
You have to lower yourself down to their level, and then they beat you with their experience at it!
Good line. Can I steal it?

reverendg
06-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Should have asked him if he has ever spun his tires in the snow or wet weather, then asked why a car that is only driven by one wheel still works ok.

Bob Denman
06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Good line. Can I steal it?
:DPlease... Where do you think I got it from?? :roflblack: :2thumbs:

Actually; when these geniuses start offering up all of their knowledge... Try asking them if they've ever actaully RIDDEN one.
When they say "No!"
You can say, "That's what I thought!"

mustangbob
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
What the guy said makes a lot of sense!!! Really think about it. I am sure he knows what he is talking about

IF THE REAR WHEEL WAS DOING THE STEERING :2thumbs: I was ask just last week if the spyder steered with the back wheel, the guy was standing there looking at it when he ask the question! I wanted to say Yes and add that it was front wheel drive but I was nice and didn't.

I was asked that same question just last week, this was after he seen me steer into the gas station. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

MarkLawson
06-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Actually, those of you who've seen the BRP display of the early development models and read the history of the Spyder from the initial mandate to the first production GS, would understand how accurate much of what he said is. At one point, BRP was even on the verge of scrapping the whole idea because it was so unstable. They then reached out to Bosch Electronics (a German company), who designed the Vehicle Stability Control System, antilock brakes, etc. which then made it stable. They were then able to continue with a vehicle that was safe enough for them to sell and us to enjoy. People have wondered from time to time how to disable the Nanny without understanding how critical those computers are to make it even possible.

I have no idea what the front wheel friction point was, so I can't comment on that.

m109anc
06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I imagine BRP looked at tire size when designing the Spyder, probably one of the reason the rear tire is the size it is, rolling friction and rear weight. :D

otter28169
06-09-2014, 03:58 AM
My only point was that if it were that "unrideable", why do I have 16,000+ miles on it?

Just sayin'............

SNOOPY
06-09-2014, 05:15 AM
My only point was that if it were that "unrideable", why do I have 16,000+ miles on it?

Just sayin'............

Maybe you're not that intelligent riding such a dangerous vehicle. :popcorn:

Me either. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Actually, those of you who've seen the BRP display of the early development models and read the history of the Spyder from the initial mandate to the first production GS, would understand how accurate much of what he said is. At one point, BRP was even on the verge of scrapping the whole idea because it was so unstable. They then reached out to Bosch Electronics (a German company), who designed the Vehicle Stability Control System, antilock brakes, etc. which then made it stable. They were then able to continue with a vehicle that was safe enough for them to sell and us to enjoy. People have wondered from time to time how to disable the Nanny without understanding how critical those computers are to make it even possible.

I have no idea what the front wheel friction point was, so I can't comment on that.

Yup!
Sonny-Boy and I were on a ride, and we met an older gentleman at a fuel stop. He walked over with a big smile, and asked us how we liked the new RT (This was in 2010).
It turned out that he was an engineer who worked with a subcontractor developing the front suspension design. He relayed that exact same story to us about Bosch stepping in to save the day. :thumbup:

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to pick on our Nanny... She's the one who made this party possible! :yes: