PDA

View Full Version : new windshield

tatt2r
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
leavin work in a couple minutes cold and rainy night just got new cal windshield i bought from abbott spyder ... goin for test drive home i'll write review tomorrow ..still not crazy the way it looks ....

TonyMac
09-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Was that the Cal-Sci windshield?

I got one and liked it, but ruined it when re-installing it. When I replace it, I would however, look at other options as it wasn't doing what I wanted which was keeping the wind off me when I had my modular helmet face shield up for fresh air (and heat relief in Texas) and at about 45 MPH, the windshield generated down force that closed my helmet. Perhaps I need a taller one than I bought.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with windshields (my last two bikes were dual sport with no windshields), but I'm older now and ideally, would like to have the perfect world of no wind buffeting on me at highway speeds, but enough air circulation to keep me cool in the Texas summer heat.

Am I asking too much? :dontknow:

tatt2r
09-13-2008, 09:54 AM
yes cal-sci windshield is now doing what i thought it would be doing ...collecting dust in my office.... i know i didnt like the look but i said hey what the hell there are a bunch of people on this site that have windshields ... and with new england winter coming and i'm not planing on putting spyder away for it i thought a bigger windshield would help ... i was wrong ... has anyone ever hit 90 miles an hour with one of these things on ??? i did this morning ... on top of the drag from it... the bouncing of my head ... and the vibration it caused to bike .... and lets not forget the uncut toenail look to it .... i thought it better to hang it up in my office .... so i will bundle up for the winter enjoy the wind in my face ....toughin it out .... and be happy with what the factory gave me .... i will keep it so when girlfriends spyder gets here she can try it out to see if she likes it ... but i bought the spyder because i wanted something different than i have had in the past .... a lean forward wind in my face bad ass racing machine not a touring bike ... and god bless to all of you that have modified there spyders to be what they want them to be ... but i think i'm happy just the way it is ....
hummmm... kind of sounds like the end of a doctor seuss book .... lol
"good day to you all and to all a good night " lol
i think i need coffee ....bad

boogllasti
09-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow. How tall are you?

I'm 5'8" and the XL Calsci works really well for me. Sorry it didn't for you.

Uncut toenail - roflmao

So what is the F1 then - a bent toenail with fungus? :joke:

tatt2r
09-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow. How tall are you?

I'm 5'8" and the XL Calsci works really well for me. Sorry it didn't for you.

Uncut toenail - roflmao

So what is the F1 then - a bent toenail with fungus? :joke:

LMAO.....

Marcel July
09-13-2008, 11:24 AM
This is kind of funny for a "Uncut toenail" .

tatt2r:
there is a option for all who don't like "tall" windshields.
The Evolution III SC (slide screen) is only 21" tall in total size.
You can adjust the schield in any size you like up to a total size of
30.5". I am sure that this one will work for you.
If you are done with touring or high speed driving, you can slide it
back and your bike looks like s sport bike again.

tatt2r
09-13-2008, 12:21 PM
thanks for advise but I think I'm going the other direction and getting ultra small windshield from brp

vwatso
09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Tatt,

I have both the small winsheild that came with my spyder and the BRP I guess they call it the Touring. About 16 or 17 inches tall. I'm going to sell as soon as my Cal-Sic gets here if your interested. Also have the stock pipe that I don't need.

vwatso

major911
10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the new sport windshield from BRP (the one that looks like it has a "V" notch cut out). If so, how would you compare it to the stock windshield as far as buffeting, turbulence, etc...

Smylinacha
10-02-2008, 07:37 PM
yes cal-sci windshield is now doing what i thought it would be doing ...collecting dust in my office.... i know i didnt like the look but i said hey what the hell there are a bunch of people on this site that have windshields ... and with new england winter coming and i'm not planing on putting spyder away for it i thought a bigger windshield would help ... i was wrong ... has anyone ever hit 90 miles an hour with one of these things on ??? i did this morning ... on top of the drag from it... the bouncing of my head ... and the vibration it caused to bike .... and lets not forget the uncut toenail look to it .... i thought it better to hang it up in my office .... so i will bundle up for the winter enjoy the wind in my face ....toughin it out .... and be happy with what the factory gave me .... i will keep it so when girlfriends spyder gets here she can try it out to see if she likes it ... but i bought the spyder because i wanted something different than i have had in the past .... a lean forward wind in my face bad ass racing machine not a touring bike ... and god bless to all of you that have modified there spyders to be what they want them to be ... but i think i'm happy just the way it is ....
hummmm... kind of sounds like the end of a doctor seuss book .... lol
"good day to you all and to all a good night " lol
i think i need coffee ....bad

I know what your saying. I bought the BRP "sport touring" shield and after putting it on, it was ugly. Went back to the stock shorty - looks better! I wear a 3/4 helmet so the wind isn't so bad anyway!

AMTJIM
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
At the price of these screens, I can't believe the sportbike screen manufactures haven't jumped all over this spyder yet.

effgjamis
10-03-2008, 12:23 AM
thanks for advise but I think I'm going the other direction and getting ultra small windshield from brp

I have both of the BRP factory shields...Stock and tourning, and they are available for sale..

Make an offer plus shipping....

PM, email (effgjamis@cfl.rr.com) or 407-520-161

fleet
10-03-2008, 05:50 AM
I just got the Calsci XL - At 6'3" , it's still too short .... actually 2-3" too short - If you're 6'2" or taller and want don't want major wind head blast at 65+ mph , IMO you may want to look elsewhere. Other than not being tall enough - it fit well and looked OK. I'm going to talk to CalSci to see if they have a slightly taller one.

Rokonman
10-03-2008, 07:27 AM
FYI, I got the Calsci XL and added the Laminar Lip to top the screen and "fixed" the height issue.

baldev
10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Like tattr2 I have tried 3 diff windshield and have gone back to factory. Am waiting for Evo to try out. Its costing alot to try will probably put them on ebay next week.

tatt2r
10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Like tattr2 I have tried 3 diff windshield and have gone back to factory. Am waiting for Evo to try out. Its costing alot to try will probably put them on ebay next week.

wow you look really short in your picture

Arachnid
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I put the CalSic windshield on right after buying my Spyder and riding it home with the BRP windshield.
I am 5' 10" and got the large.
I find it works well with adequate protection, you still get a little wind which is deflected by my helmet shield and comes in hand when it is hot.
Of all the aftermarket shields out there I like its looks the best.
My 2¢.

Mike ;)