PDA

View Full Version : Need used spyder advice from the ones in the know.

barkingspyder
09-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Trying this on both sites.

I have been waiting to buy a Spyder til' a house deal went through(my first). I just got approved and am getting extra money for spydie n' accessories. Amazingly, here in Goleta/Santa Barbara, right as I got approved, there is #1178, or close to that #, with Hindle for sale at a local NON-dealer. It has 660 miles and they want $14,999 + tax. I'm having them look into the transferable warranty AND the fact they did the 600mi. tune up.

Can they do a tune up being unauthorized?

Could it void the warranty?

Can you think of any other unknown pitfalls? http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

If you think can think of any other great bargaining points lemmy know! http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/duel.gif

Thanks for the help! http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/silver2.gif

boogllasti
09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
You can technically (and legally) do all service work on your Spyder yourself without voiding the warranty.

The problem is that unless they (or you) are a dealer, you won't have access to the computer stuff to check for faults, etc.

The 600 mile is a pretty simple one, but a good idea to have a real dealer do it.

Many have waited well over 1,000 miles to do it.

They probably just did an oil change and called it good.

If you really want this Spyder, I would use this to your advantage. Tell them that you are still going to have the 600 mile service done - unless they can show you that they hooked it up to BAPPS (the computer system) and did all the proper diagnostics.

They did make some software adjustments that should be downloaded to your Spyder - so you really should get it to a real dealer.

The price isn't bad - but I'd have them knock of the price of 1st service - around $150-$200.

I would also tell them that you require the bike to be inspected by a dealer or the deal is off.

Good luck!

Lamonster
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Go for it. You'll be fine. I've done all my own work. :thumbup:

barkingspyder
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Awesome replies guys! I really appreciate the input. I may be putting a deposit down tomorrow...

Woohoo!

:yes:

barkingspyder
09-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know if the initial 2 year warranty just travels with the bike or is there some kinda dance I need to do?

Thx

barkingspyder
09-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if the initial 2 year warranty just travels with the bike or is there some kinda dance I need to do?

Thx

Turns out the salesman called BRP himself and they required a Can Am shop to do the 600mi tune up. The warranty needs to be signed over. Now to see if it's still available in a couple weeks, they wouldn't take a deposit for longer than 1 week.:(

spydeebike
09-13-2008, 02:38 PM
IM A DEALER THAT HAS SOLD 3 SPYDERS ALREADY INCLUDING THE ONE I OWN, WARRANTY FOLLOWS THE BIKE WITH OUT ANY SINGING, JUST GET THE MANUFACTURE PURCHASE DATE AND ADD 24MONTHS TO THAT. ALSO 600 MILE SVCE MUST BE DONE AT AN AUTHORIZED DEALERSHIP.

boogllasti
09-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah.. BUDS !

I have no idea where BAPPS came from! :dontknow:

barkingspyder
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
IM A DEALER THAT HAS SOLD 3 SPYDERS ALREADY INCLUDING THE ONE I OWN, WARRANTY FOLLOWS THE BIKE WITH OUT ANY SINGING, JUST GET THE MANUFACTURE PURCHASE DATE AND ADD 24MONTHS TO THAT. ALSO 600 MILE SVCE MUST BE DONE AT AN AUTHORIZED DEALERSHIP.

Yeah, I thought there would be some conflicting thoughts on the warranty. If the dealer can come up with some kind of paperwork that signs over the warranty, so be it. I'll let them chase that goose. Otherwise, I'll trust it will just follow the bike.