PDA

View Full Version : clutch

gary lester
06-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Can anyone help me out here, I just had a clutch go out on my 2010 RTS and I have the BEST protection and they are telling me that the clutch plates are not covered :( Any help will be good. Thanks ahead of time.

ivanlee
06-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Can anyone help me out here, I just had a clutch go out on my 2010 RTS and I have the BEST protection and they are telling me that the clutch plates are not covered :( Any help will be good. Thanks ahead of time.

wear items are not covered, brakes, clutch, hoses, belts, tires,

AbNormy
06-04-2014, 05:54 PM
curious what the flat rate is...how much did they quote you? wonder if Barnett or anybody makes any superior products?

Chupaca
06-04-2014, 06:14 PM
but unless premature and proven to be faulty etc. it falls under the normal wear items. Barnett does make plates and they are probably better. You would have to see cost of both, weather they will install them and how long did the oem ones last. Then see whats your course of action...:thumbup:

gary lester
06-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys for the come back:bowdown:

Bob Denman
06-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Hi Gary,
Is your RT an "ESSIE", or an "ESSEM"? If it's an "ESSIE"; the clutch plates can get cooked from running at rpm levels that are too low to allow the lockup system to do it's job...

gary lester
06-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Hi Gary,
Is your RT an "ESSIE", or an "ESSEM"? If it's an "ESSIE"; the clutch plates can get cooked from running at rpm levels that are too low to allow the lockup system to do it's job...

I don't know what the difference is I have a sm5

gary lester
06-05-2014, 07:19 AM
curious what the flat rate is...how much did they quote you? wonder if Barnett or anybody makes any superior products?

It was 500.00 just for the parts

bullant12
06-05-2014, 07:28 AM
I had an SM5 2010 in which the plates burned at 3200 miles. I had to open a case with BRP and 5 weeks later I had the clutch rebuilt at their expense. The dealer said they still ate some of the costs as well (towing since my breakdown happened on a Sunday and the dealer was closed Monday, so roadside only covered to my home). This was in 2011. There were a few worn clutches in Spyderfest in which BRP took care of on the spot at no charge, won't be surprised if they do the same in the Owners Event in a few weeks.

I would open a case with BRP and see what happens. If you have low miles, you might can get something out of it. But clutches are a wear and tear item, and if you were shifting at low RPM's (which BUDS can prove), you are on your own. Again, won't hurt opening a case: I've heard a few folks paying for the parts and then BRP pay the dealer for labor.

Bob Denman
06-05-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't know what the difference is I have a sm5
The SE-5 transmission has a centrifugal clutch lockup system. It uses engine rpm to force the plates together, and usually needs at least 3,500 rpm to lock things up tight...
Since you have the SM-5; it is a standard motorcycle transmission, and has no particular engine rpm limitations.

The reason that wear items aren't covered by warranties: The manufacturer has NO idea how hard you've been trying to wear them out! :yikes:

It sux; but it's an unfortunate truth for all of us... :shocked: