PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 04:42 AM
I am new to this site but not new to internet forums.
I am a member of 4 performance truck sites and am an Administrator on one.
I am a Horsepower junkie. Here was my last project.
2004 Sierra Denali with Queadrasteer
438 ci twin turbo,
1000 RWHP
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/markhelmandollar/2004Denali.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/markhelmandollar/LSX%20BUILD/2-9-08011.jpg

I am about 80% sure I am going to purchase a spyder, the only reason I hesitate is because I know I will put another 15 G's into this. if nobody has put a turbo on a spyder I will be the first to try. I have already searched around to see if anyone does any custom tuning on these yet and haven't found anything. Has anyone done this?
I hope to spend a lot of time on this form and try and catch up on what makes a spyder tick.
Mark

Lamonster
09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
welcome
You can add all the power you like to the Spyder but until you get pass the VSS/Nanny it won't matter. :banghead:

docdoru
09-12-2008, 05:25 AM
welcome

MWKE
09-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Welcome,,,,,,

Where in CA are you?????

Im in NOR CAL......If you are Close....Maybe we could hook up if you get a Spyder.....:thumbup: Or even if you dont:D

bjt
09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome to SpyderLovers. :doorag:

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Welcome,,,,,,

Where in CA are you?????

Im in NOR CAL......If you are Close....Maybe we could hook up if you get a Spyder.....:thumbup: Or even if you dont:D
stockton, ca

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything,
who are you guys using for an insurance carrier? especially in Calif.
my insurance company won't insure the spyder and I called progressive and they said no also, it seems that it is an issue with it being considered a car or motorcycle, in calif you don't need a motorcycle license but it has handle bars, so they aren't sure what it is.
thanks for any help you can give me.
Mark

Zerocool
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
my insurance company won't insure the spyder and I called progressive and they said no also, it seems that it is an issue with it being considered a car or motorcycle, in calif you don't need a motorcycle license but it has handle bars, so they aren't sure what it is.
Mark

I'm in CT and Progressive Insurance had no issues with the Spyder and provided a great price; Contrary to Geico.

zzneonzz
09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Mark

I'm using State Farm but i'm in TN. I have gotten quotes though from Progressive, Geico, Formonst and NationWide.

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 05:56 PM
may I ask what you guys are paying for the insurance? going to go talk to my Spyder Dealer right now.

I have tons of questions, Hopefully this site doesn't mind a lot of newbie questions.
as for the factory options, , I know Dealership (factory) options are expensive compared to aftermarket. how many did what options through dealership or aftermarket.
Thanks,
Mark

zzneonzz
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm paying 1500 a year for insurance. I got the 1" riser, Trunk Liner, 12v adapter, Seat Cowl all BRP from Dealer. Only aftermarket i got was the kuryakyn ISO Grips

NancysToy
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Progressive had no problem insuring us in Michigan last March. Our agent did have to call the office in California to get a price, though, since it wasn't listed on their computer yet. Got seat and tank bags, trunk liner, 12 accessory outlet, foglights, and 1" riser from the dealer, and they installed them. Foglight install and 12 V outlet are cheaper to install at time of setup, before the trunk is assembled. Just Hyperlights, Throttlemeister for aftermarket accessories, and a trunk popper spring and emergency trunk release I rigged myself.
-Scotty

AMTJIM
09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Pacific Specialties insurance/Mcgraw...about 45.00/month full coverage. In regards to cranking out some horses from the spyder, definitely contact Rotax. They claim this same engine has been used on several sportbikes and if they are all exactly the same component wise, you may be good for 140 before any crank, rod or piston issues. With as low geared as this spyder is, you'll keep that rev limiter busy and hit that 110 mph speed limiter very soon. Unles Magic Man developes that new rear pulley and you get the VSS Dyno Cut-Out or some other hacked chip.

bigdave18629
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
may I ask what you guys are paying for the insurance? going to go talk to my Spyder Dealer right now.

Mark

Hey Mark,
welcome

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyder ownership. I live here in Lodi and have insurance with Progressive. I am paying about $700/year for full coverage and a $500 deduct.

Are you buying from Marina? That is where I bought. Good guys but watch your pricing.

We can hook up and take a ride one of these days, have a great weekend.

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Mark,
welcome

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spyder ownership. I live here in Lodi and have insurance with Progressive. I am paying about $700/year for full coverage and a $500 deduct.

Are you buying from Marina? That is where I bought. Good guys but watch your pricing.

We can hook up and take a ride one of these days, have a great weekend.

I am actually going to buy it from Rancho Cordova,
I was born and raise in Lodi, am there almost daily, never seen you cruising around.
we definitely need to get together some time, you going to the Grape festival this weekend? I am going Sat to see Fog Hat

back to the insurance question, I called and talked to progressive and they said no, will have to check into it some more
Mark

Greg H.
09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Hello, and Welcome! :)

My insurance will be $801 yearly. Of course, that doesn't begin until my Spyder arrives - which I'm hoping is before the first frost!!! :mad:

N'yuk N'yuk N'yuk...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Curlyhoward.jpg

FANG
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm paying $524 a year with State Farm $500 deductible full coverage Florida.

trikester
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
In California the Spyder is definitely a motorcycle. The DMV vehicle code says any motor vehicle with less than four wheels is a motorcycle. Period! No if's and's or but's.

If it has three wheels then you don't need the motorcycle endorsement on your license but you still have to wear a helmet when you ride.

Frank, in SoCal

Calif-spyder
09-12-2008, 10:14 PM
In California the Spyder is definitely a motorcycle. The DMV vehicle code says any motor vehicle with less than four wheels is a motorcycle. Period! No if's and's or but's.

If it has three wheels then you don't need the motorcycle endorsement on your license but you still have to wear a helmet when you ride.

Frank, in SoCal

thanks for the clarification

MWKE
09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
I have McGraw......734 a yr with a 500 Deductable....I tried progressive,,,they quoted me 3K a yr and I also tried Gecko at 4K a yr:shocked: I almost didnt buy my spyder because of that:banghead: But when I called the dealer they said they could hook me up....:clap:

I bought mine in Redding......Not sure if Rancho does the insurance or not...However,,,,They are good people over there...Had the pleasure of being down there and meeting them....Good luck in the Quest......

Hope to ride with you soon.......

4leafpat
09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I just picked my SM5 up today in Lodi. I have State Farm Insurance and my premiums are $71.76 a month for the Spyder. 500 ded.

I am over in Petaluma myself...
Pat

Blackwidow74
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I have Viking Ins. with a 500 deductible through a broker who chaged me $125 and that included I still paid only $583:2thumbs:. I have had my Motorcycle indorsement License for three years, and I took the CC Rider Course, so they did give me a discount for that. If any of you So Cal riders ever want to ride, just send me an email blackwidowspyder@live.com. I live in Compton and I also know a few more guys who ride in Los Angeles.:chat:

seduce
09-13-2008, 12:19 AM
welcomeWelcome Mark I live in Sacramento and I have my insurance with Progressive 800 776-4737 customer svc. I pay $425 a year with a $250 deductable I have two motorcycle insured with them. I also, bought mine from American motor sports (Shawn) If you need a point of contact from Progressive let me know I will give them a call for you. I think they just base it on replacement value, since you do not need a motorcycle license in Ca. Nice truck

shunkmanitu
09-13-2008, 03:55 AM

Frank, in SoCal

In Florida the Spyder is also a "motorcycle" and you do need an endorsement. IF you test only on a three wheeler your endorsement is ONLY for three wheelers. Your either test on a regular bike or take the MSF rider course IF you wish a full endorsement. As with any motorcycle in FL according to age, insurance, and common sense a helmet is optional. NAS Pensacola does NOT require the MSF course but does require FULL safty gear including long sleves, a safty vest, gloves, eye protection, and of course a helmet.

For insurance, check with your Spyder dealer, many have an agent in house. IF you trust your dealer it could be your best option as they should know all the special needs of a rider and the ride. $50,000 liability, REPLACEMET on a total with $250 deductable, passenger coverage, NO un-insured motorist since I am retired with FULL medical, <$300 a year.

Calif-spyder
09-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I ordered A Red SE5 today, insurance is 780.00 a year with no motorcycle experience.
Mark

bigdave18629
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I am actually going to buy it from Rancho Cordova,
I was born and raise in Lodi, am there almost daily, never seen you cruising around.
we definitely need to get together some time, you going to the Grape festival this weekend? I am going Sat to see Fog Hat

back to the insurance question, I called and talked to progressive and they said no, will have to check into it some more
Mark

Glad to see you bought one:thumbup::2thumbs::yes:
I skip the Grape Festival, too many problems to deal with and try to avoid. I would have like to have seen Fog Hat though, just filter out the gang bangers and it would be a great time.

I think you will find that when calling inurance companies, half of them have a hard time finding out what a Spyder even is. It depends on the person you get on the other end of the phone. I, along with quite a few others, are using Progressive but it looks like you got a fair rate for CA.

Let me know when it comes in and we can hook up for a ride! IM me and let me know.

Calif-spyder
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Glad to see you bought one:thumbup::2thumbs::yes:
I skip the Grape Festival, too many problems to deal with and try to avoid. I would have like to have seen Fog Hat though, just filter out the gang bangers and it would be a great time.

I think you will find that when calling inurance companies, half of them have a hard time finding out what a Spyder even is. It depends on the person you get on the other end of the phone. I, along with quite a few others, are using Progressive but it looks like you got a fair rate for CA.

Let me know when it comes in and we can hook up for a ride! IM me and let me know.

I will, hopefully its not raining and cold.
mark

caser
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Mark

I'm with Progressive and live in the San Diego area. Try calling Culver Ins. Services @ 1 (800) 780-9395. Ask for Phil Molkara.

Calif-spyder
09-16-2008, 04:46 AM
I got insurance for 780.00 a year
thanks
Mark