PDA

View Full Version : question on hot tubs

cuznjohn
06-03-2014, 03:02 PM
i know it is not the place to ask, but i am trying to make a decision, does anyone have a hot tub and does it help you with aches and pains. my body is shot from yeas of abuse and i am thinking of getting a tub. i can't believe the prices of them but i really need to try something to relax and relieve some body aches. i am looking at the CLEARWATER SPAS and had a electrician over today to give me a estimate on putting in a 200 volt 50 amp circuit to the back yard for the tub. i have gained so much weight that if i go to the beach people start screaming BEACH WALE and they try to keep pushing me back into the water. i was even thinking of renting a room with a tub or also thinking of having a walk in tub put into the house. either way it is big bucks. so if you have one what do you think. thanks

Dan_Ashley
06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I was severely injured in 1978 and in 1980, I got a Jacuzzi type of hot tub. It did not help at all. but it was a lot of fun. I recommend that you find a health spa and go to it say three or four times...like three or four days in a row...then you could decide if one would help you. This is much less expensive than a failed experiment.

mowin
06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I just got my first hot tub a month ago. Friend who is a PT recommend one. I was having a hard time sleeping. Waking up frequently to adjust for the aches and pains. I havnt slept this sell since I was in diapers. Wife keeps reminding me I'm not too far from being back in em either.:sour:. I use mine for about an hr before bed, and absolutely love it. They ard not cheap, and I looked for a used one, but the only ones I found were huge or junk. It only the wife and I, so I didnt need a 8 person tub. I was a little confused at first on water care, but I took a sample in to the dealer, and they tested it and printed out exactly what I needed to add to the water.

One thing to remember is as you get in you displace water, so big people and small tubs can be a challange. I chose a mid size tub for just that reason. It wont overflow when both wife and I are in there...

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
I was severely injured in 1978 and in 1980, I got a Jacuzzi type of hot tub. It did not help at all. but it was a lot of fun. I recommend that you find a health spa and go to it say three or four times...like three or four days in a row...then you could decide if one would help you. This is much less expensive than a failed experiment.

:agree: Test them out first a bit... :thumbup:

cuznjohn
06-03-2014, 04:42 PM
I just got my first hot tub a month ago. Friend who is a PT recommend one. I was having a hard time sleeping. Waking up frequently to adjust for the aches and pains. I havnt slept this sell since I was in diapers. Wife keeps reminding me I'm not too far from being back in em either.:sour:. I use mine for about an hr before bed, and absolutely love it. They ard not cheap, and I looked for a used one, but the only ones I found were huge or junk. It only the wife and I, so I didnt need a 8 person tub. I was a little confused at first on water care, but I took a sample in to the dealer, and they tested it and printed out exactly what I needed to add to the water.

One thing to remember is as you get in you displace water, so big people and small tubs can be a challange. I chose a mid size tub for just that reason. It wont overflow when both wife and I are in there...

thanks the one i am looking at is a 4 person tub, it is 7 ft by 7 ft. and it has 40 jets and a 20 year warranty and the frame and base are all composite material with no wood http://www.clearwaterspas.com/product/xs76nl-gold/

alanmcd
06-03-2014, 05:07 PM
I've had a couple of hot tubs over the years and I love them and highly recommend them. I had both hips replaced 7 tears ago and prior to the surgery the tub was a great relief for the arthritis as we as any muscle aches and pains from yard work, sports, etc. Care is simple, shock it once every other week and in the other opposite weeks chlorine it. I had one years ago with full blown insulation and the one I have now does not have that. I recommend staying away from the full blown tubs as they are a magnet for mice and if work/repairs need to be made they have to rip/cut out the interfering chunks of insulation and that insulation is then gone forever plus it makes an absolute mess when they have to remove any of it. Others will no doubt chime in pro and con on my comments but that is my experience and my opinion based on that experience. If you'd like more info or have any questions feel free to PM me.

-Alan
Cincinnati, OH

ARtraveler
06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
A hot tub proponent for many years. Currently do not have one at my new home, but had them for many years prior.

They do work well as far as therapeutic soaks go. Turn up the jets and enjoy. We had our last one outside, and it was fun to sit out under the stars and the Northern Lights. They come with heaters, so a good cover will maintain temps even in 20 below zero. My electric bill was about $30 per month extra with the tub.

Recommend medium to large. 350 gallons plus. Big enough for two bigger people.

Enjoy.

alanmcd
06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
One more note - Sit in them empty or full and make sure it is deep enough to cover your shoulders with water. Nothing worse than sitting in a hot tub when it's 10 degrees out, 103 degrees in the tub and your shoulders are out of the water! I have never had this problem with my tubs but have been in some where it occurred. :shocked:

Plyrod38
06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
The wife and I had a 500 Gallon tub for several years. Great therapy from my stressful job. Had it for about 10 years when things started going kaput. The motor for the pump was over $500.00. Ours was installed in a gazebo with sliding plexiglass windows. We don't get much snow here in N.C. but it was a kick to sit in the hot tub with a good cigar and a beer and watch the flakes fall. I would still have it but I was diagnosed with diabetes, and with that condition, soaking is not recommended.

PrairieSpyder
06-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I've never owned one but have used them at resorts and really enjoy them. Once when I was house hunting, I considered buying a place with a pool. My friend told me to go for a hot tub, instead. A pool makes for LOTS of friends; a hot tub makes for INTIMATE friends!

mowin
06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
thanks the one i am looking at is a 4 person tub, it is 7 ft by 7 ft. and it has 40 jets and a 20 year warranty and the frame and base are all composite material with no wood http://www.clearwaterspas.com/product/xs76nl-gold/

Clearwater spa have a good reputation. I also agree to avoid full foam spas. Sounds great untill you get a leak, and then some manufacturers require them to be taken to the dealer for service.

7x7 is a good sized tub. Mine is 6x6 and has 5 seats, but u had better like the others really well...:yikes:. Also, if the spa has lights, the lighter shell spas look better then the darker colors. The darker colors seem to mute the lights too much.

Also I would look for one with a lounge. As far as wet testing, I was too self conscious to do that, but it sounds like a good idea.

Bob Denman
06-04-2014, 07:10 AM
A pool makes for LOTS of friends; a hot tub makes for INTIMATE friends!
Aren't they the best type of friends to have? :D :thumbup:

bullant12
06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
We had a nice 7 person hot tub when we lived in Texas and we got it at cost. It sat outside on a deck we built exclusively for it, and since we lived in the corner of our subdivision, we had plenty of privacy. We truly enjoyed our hot tub, particularly during the winter nights. Had to let it go since although we could have moved it with us, there was no room in the new house for it (could have left in in storage since now we do :banghead:) and the buyers of the house negotiated for us to keep the hot tub with their offer. Now I will have to wait to get another one since I can't get one at a reasonable price (yet).

It really helps on days that you are sore from working in the yard or exercising, and heard of many folks with conditions taking advantage of the hot water (no more than 104 degrees) to ease their discomforts.

The only negative side about owning a hot tub was the maintenance. Like a pool, you need to keep it up with bromine or chlorine (bromine smells less) or the water can become slimy. Maintaining a proper balance of the bromine was quite a task. Also, you have to empty it every so often (I remember doing it once a year) and give it a good scrub down. Then you had to play with your bromine levels all over again.

Good luck!

Eagle1
06-04-2014, 07:53 AM
We have had a hot tub for years and love it, especially after a hard day's work, or a long ride.
Also, great for other activities, wink, wink.:2excited::cheers::p

cuznjohn
06-04-2014, 08:17 AM
well being a retired electrician i hired a guy to put the 220 volt 50 amp line in my house for it. my body hurts too much to do the work myself. i thought plumbers were high priced and i also thought rape was against the law, no breaks for a retired member that can't work on his own anymore. the electric goes in on friday and the tub will be ordered tomorrow, i might try to downsize the tub a lil because of the expense of the electrical work, but i will see, same make tub but smaller size, it is only me here and unless i want all the neighbors using it i don't need a big tub

bullant12
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
well being a retired electrician i hired a guy to put the 220 volt 50 amp line in my house for it. my body hurts too much to do the work myself. i thought plumbers were high priced and i also thought rape was against the law, no breaks for a retired member that can't work on his own anymore. the electric goes in on friday and the tub will be ordered tomorrow, i might try to downsize the tub a lil because of the expense of the electrical work, but i will see, same make tub but smaller size, it is only me here and unless i want all the neighbors using it i don't need a big tub

Might be because it would require a lot of work. I know I had a electrician friend that came over, added a new fuse, wired and terminated a new 220V plug exclusively for the hot tub for less than $200.

cuznjohn
06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Might be because it would require a lot of work. I know I had a electrician friend that came over, added a new fuse, wired and terminated a new 220V plug exclusively for the hot tub for less than $200.

well that was a fantastic price, my panel is full so a sub box needs to be put in, and he is also signing for some work i did last winter so it is well over 1500 for me

Magdave
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
OK John here is what you need to know. I have owned spas for 15+ years and tried all kinds of ways to care for it but in a nutshell here is the easiest and best way to care for it.

1. Make sure it has an Ozonator. Most spas either come with one or have the plug( in the control box) and hoses in place to add one. It does not eliminate the need for bromine and non chlorine spa shock but I barely use any in mine. Ozone purifies the water without chemicals and it only works when the filter cycle is on or you are using the spa Here is a link to one like mine
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Clarathon-XL-Ozonator-Kit---120V-P9603C674.aspx?zmam=55673001&zmas=1&zmac=10&zmap=PX1201&gclid=CjkKEQjwh7ucBRD9yY_fyZe398gBEiQAAoy4JKnuZHzg eXe_Zv2aoWJB9Dno3u4NixrvEmVVhiAUi8Tw_wcB

2. Make sure you set it up right and treat the water correctly. Depends on your water but you will need spa test strips to measure different levels of chemical. Sometimes if you have hard water you need to add metal remover if not PH and and calcium are correct.

http://youtu.be/6Ch0JirOZIM

Here are the strips I use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhvSGK6yl4

DO NOT use chlorine in a stand alone spa use Bromine.

3. Once you have the PH and chemicals balanced BUY A BOTTLE OF PH STABILIZOR . It helps keep everything at the levels it should be.

I add 4 or 5 1" Bromine tablets per week ( sometimes) and do a Shock Treatment after each use My water stay clean and balanced. Depending on use you may need to change water once or twice a year. If you have foam there is a defoamer you can buy ( recommend keeping a bottle around just in case)but it indicates something needs adjusted in your chemicals. DO NOT USE the smelly softener type additives. You will screw up the water chemistry and need to change the water. Been there done that.

I check with a strip once a month or when the smell or color or foam seems off. My method is very low maintenance. It does help relax muscles and I ignore the 20 min recommendation I like a nice long soak. I used to have one that went above 105deg ( which is the limit spa maker use ) and it was awesome 104-105 is OK but 107 really worked well for me. Good luck and enjoy.

Most (if not all) of the chemicals and strips are available at Lowes.

mowin
06-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Lot of debate on usefulness of a ozonator. I personally decided against one. Do a search on hot tub forums and make your own decision.

So far I find it very easy to adjust and maintain the water. I'm using a bromine system, but may switch over to chlorine when I run out of these chemicals and do a refill.

Magdave
06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Lot of debate on usefulness of a ozonator. I personally decided against one. Do a search on hot tub forums and make your own decision.

So far I find it very easy to adjust and maintain the water. I'm using a bromine system, but may switch over to chlorine when I run out of these chemicals and do a refill.

Chlorine will ruin some tubs especially the ones that are not smooth fiberglass. Bromine works as well and smells less. I have never seen any data saying Ozone was bad for spas and mine never stayed crystal clear until I used one.

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/ozone-information.htm

Wwulf76
06-04-2014, 08:50 PM
We have a 500 gallon Caldera hot tub. I would recommend Silk Balance as a chemical if you have the option. It is expensive but it is so easy to manage. Just add a little once a week and you are done once your initial balance is done. We may have to add Chlorine every once in a while but nothing like the traditional chemical cocktail some have had to use in the past.

Purple Guy
06-04-2014, 09:20 PM
John I have to tell ya next to my wife my hot tub is my best friend!
I've had one for 10 years and I couldn't think of living without it.
Like you I don't think I have a joint in my body that doesn't act up.
There's nothing better than gettung up in the morning, pouring myself a cup of coffee and starting my day soakin' in the tub.
Worth every cent I paid and if it's in your budget I highly recommend one!

mowin
06-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Chlorine will ruin some tubs especially the ones that are not smooth fiberglass. Bromine works as well and smells less. I have never seen any data saying Ozone was bad for spas and mine never stayed crystal clear until I used one.

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/ozone-information.htm

Never said they were bad, just that there is lots of debate to there usefulness. I have heard ozone will deteriorate the inside of your cover quicker:dontknow:?

Only had my tub for little over a month, and water is crystal clear. I guess ill stick with bromine. Didnt know chlorine could damage some spas.

easysuper
06-05-2014, 07:22 AM
I did not read all the threads but I am 63, been in construction all my life and have had a number of injury's one that I fell 23 feet so I have a number of aches and pains . I have had one for 15 years so it is a little outdated but works for me . It will accommodate 6 people and we used it in that capacity for many years , but now days my wife and I are the only ones that use it . what I will say about the pain relief is that if I am home I start and end my day in the hot tub. The only thing that works better is some strong pain killers which I do not like to put in my body. The only thing I would do different is the next one will be a Two person tub . So my advise is get one and you will enjoy it as much as your Spyder .

jcthorne
06-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Never said they were bad, just that there is lots of debate to there usefulness. I have heard ozone will deteriorate the inside of your cover quicker:dontknow:?

Only had my tub for little over a month, and water is crystal clear. I guess ill stick with bromine. Didnt know chlorine could damage some spas.

The real reason to use bromine in a spa vs chlorine is that bromine dissolved in water at 100deg F will outgas FAR less than chlorine. IE the bromine stays in the water rather than vaporizing. It smells less and you will use far less. We have a small floating 'dispenser' and the tub only uses 2 to 3 1" tablets a WEEK.

The tub (a Sunbelt built here in Houston) came with the ozonator. It does stay remarkably clear. I don't mess with the chemicals at all. Only use the bromine tablets. When the water gets old it will start foaming with the jets, usually about twice a year which is a good reminder to change the water and clean the filters. I took readings etc a bunch when we first got it,turned out there was no need to fuss over it. Just keep a few tabs in the dispenser and let er go. Its about 8 yrs old now and we really enjoy it. Did convert it to gas heat to save on the electric consumption. Was using about $50 a month in electric in the winter. Gas is near free for us as we only use more than our minimum bill 2 months a year and then not much.

cuznjohn
06-05-2014, 01:22 PM
so i went today and made a deal for a floor model, they say they needed room for storage for chemicals and filters in the show room, so i got this tub with a built in stereo 40 jets, the light package, UV light all the chemicals and filters plus the lounge chair for a much better price than i original talk about. i got a 3 k saving on the whole package. so i am happy.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10351839_10203731822793394_8731634425926477848_n.j pg

ARtraveler
06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Enjoy. :cheers: to many happy soaks. :yes::yes:

Magdave
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Looks very similar to mine same size and stereo too. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
:congrats: I'll bet that you just can't wait to go get hot, sore, and tired now! :D :thumbup:

mowin
06-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Nice. When is it being delivered?

PrairieSpyder
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Nice!! Let us know how you like it.

Dan_Ashley
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I went on a three week Caribbean vacation once--had a nice tan when I got home. One of my kids put too much chlorine in the hot tub, and I didn't know it. It bleached away my tan.

cuznjohn
06-05-2014, 07:25 PM
being it is the floor model i should have it by next week. if i wanted to order a new one it would be 6 weeks