PDA

View Full Version : eBay Headlights

daddydarko
09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
White headlights are cool and the added visibility is great but I am not willing to pay more than $200 to have it. So I bought headlights from Star Rotors off eBay for less than that.

I spent three hours trying to get them to fit myself. They are, in fact, H7s like the Spyder uses but the bulb housing is totally different! Additionally, no instructions or manual are available as promised in the ad. Thinking I'm just a dummy, I bought an hour of shop time at my dealer to get them in. No go. The dealer came to the same conclusion I did. :banghead:

So please be cautious. These are marketed as fitting the Spyder but they do NOT.

Magic Man
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
White headlights are cool and the added visibility is great but I am not willing to pay more than $200 to have it. So I bought headlights from Star Rotors off eBay for less than that.

I spent three hours trying to get them to fit myself. They are, in fact, H7s like the Spyder uses but the bulb housing is totally different! Additionally, no instructions or manual are available as promised in the ad. Thinking I'm just a dummy, I bought an hour of shop time at my dealer to get them in. No go. The dealer came to the same conclusion I did. :banghead:

So please be cautious. These are marketed as fitting the Spyder but they do NOT.

What did the dealer charge for that hour?

MM

daddydarko
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
$75.

I see where you're headed with this.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

spyder-dude
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM

I bought the silver stars platinum h7 model from autozone and installed them within 10 minutes......Cost $35. Well worth the investment for the difference you get!

bjt
09-11-2008, 08:26 PM
How about we meet up this weekend DaddyDarko so I can buy that seat off of you and I would like to look at those other HID bulbs if you'll still have them sitting around.

daddydarko
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds good to me. Drinks on DD!

Magic Man
09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
$75.

I see where you're headed with this.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So the dealers time was $75.00. OK, and I know you're a real smart well paid guy.

So, what's 2 prime not at work "fun time" hours of your time worth? Got to be worth more than the 40 regular time M-F hours are worth each?

Add that to the $200 for the kit and $75 for the dealer...

So, tell me again how "cheap" was this kit that's still not in your bike? :D

Just busting! :joke:

Because your a good customer of NMN, and I know the ebay boys won't help you out. :mad:

If you want to send me the Brand X Kit so I can show it on the site as what not to buy and I give you full credit of what you paid for the Brand X Kit kit towards a NMN HID Kit that actually fits and works on your Spyder. :thumbup:

MM

AMTJIM
09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Suddenly I here the ghost of Rod Roddy giving a full description and value of this offer very attractive offer from NMN...if the price is right:)

Bimjo
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
MM, you're a standup kinda guy! :clap: :thumbup:

Hummer42
09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Cool. So they are better then the factory lights?

boogllasti
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Unless you're a real techie - I would go with a kit like the one from NMN.

I got a decent kit for $200 and it works great - but I'm an electronics geek from way back - so the hookup was a breeze.

Greg H.
09-12-2008, 05:47 AM
I bought the silver stars platinum h7 model from autozone and installed them within 10 minutes......Cost $35. Well worth the investment for the difference you get!

Sounds pretty good! Are these simply replacement bulbs? And, how much brighter are they then the stock bulbs?

Thanks!

daddydarko
09-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Magic Man! :firstplace:

I deserve all the ribbing you can muster. That's what I'm here for though- how NOT to do things.

I'll take you up on that most generous offer.

BJT, drinks are still on me.

Magic Man
09-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Cool. So they are better then the factory lights?

The differance between HID headlights and regular bulbs of ANY grade of bulb is something you have to see first hand to understand fully.

It's about the same differance as between a pedal tricycle a child rides (or NancysToy here does LOL) and a Spyder. Both have 3 wheels but it stops there.

Many people here have HID kits in their Spyders maybe thay can put the differance into words for you better? :thumbup:

MM

Magic Man
09-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Magic Man! :firstplace:

I deserve all the ribbing you can muster. That's what I'm here for though- how NOT to do things.

I'll take you up on that most generous offer.

BJT, drinks are still on me.

James just call me. :thumbup:

MM

boogllasti
09-12-2008, 07:48 AM

Well, sorry to burst your bubble - but those lights are not any brighter than your stock units. They are simply emitting a different range of color is all - and most people will percieve this as 'brighter'.

The bulbs like the 'Silver Stars' are nothing more than purple colored bulbs. They cannot and do not emit 'more' or 'brighter' light.

The only way to get more actual light on the road is with a HID kit. Period.

boogllasti
09-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Um - if you read my post again you will see that we are both in agreement - 100%.

You see, I was referring to the silver stars - which are NOT actually brighter.

Greg H.
09-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry Sir but you do not know what you are taking about!

Of course I only design electronics for a living, and my degree could have been given to me by mistake?

The candle power that a true HID system puts out is almost double a regular bulb!

We are not talking about the cheap colored bulbs sold at Pep-boys here!

We are talking about a true ballast operated HID system.

Try a google search on the topic, I think it will help you a whole bunch.

MM

Good information to know! I was curious about the difference in your HID system, and the $1200 system BRP is offering.

Thanks!

Magic Man
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Um - if you read my post again you will see that we are both in agreement - 100%.

You see, I was referring to the silver stars - which are NOT actually brighter.

You are right! My head was up my butt as I read it the first time I apologize. :bowdown:

Yes Sir you are 100% right :thumbup:

The candle power that a true HID system puts out is almost double a regular bulb!

We are not talking about the cheap colored bulbs sold at Pep-boys here!

We are talking about a true ballast operated HID system.

HID systems come in wide heat or K ranges, from as low as 3K to now over 15K. While the K level does relate to the light wave length, or as laypersons say color. All of these K ranges are over double the candlepower of regular bulbs. The K range just changes the color to the human eye.

Some companies in an attempt to make people think there is some "magic" in all of this, color the envelope (glass) trying to make people think the blue colored light is better? Their reason being because all HID systems above 4300K have this bluish tint to the light if they make theirs look this bluish color too you'll think it's the same. It is in an attempt to make you think your buying something you are not.

Sometimes they even run the bulbs hotter (design them to run at a slightly lower voltage) so that when run on a true 12 volt system (12- 14.5 normal range) they burn brighter. However this does somewhat reduce the life span of the bulb, and can only be done within certain limits.

I'm here to tell all these people who may think these bulbs are as good as true HIDs. there is "No Magic" (now you see why we named our company this) in how electronics work. It's all science, desgin and laws of physics.

If you want more light you have to actually make more light, not just color it.

Several people here had these cheap bulbs on their Spyders that they thought worked well until they changed out to true HID systems. They can first hand tell you the difference as they all have posted on this topic before, some even with videos to show the change.

Again I apologize for my first post!:bowdown:

MM

boogllasti
09-12-2008, 08:31 AM
No problem MM.

Keep up the great work!

NancysToy
09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
It's about the same differance as between a pedal tricycle a child rides (or NancysToy here does LOL) and a Spyder. Both have 3 wheels but it stops there.

Are you saying my version is not a true performance machine? I am crushed! LOL roflmao
-Scotty

bjt
09-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Good information to know! I was curious about the difference in your HID system, and the $1200 system BRP is offering.

Thanks!

BRPs HID system replaces the entire headlight assembly, shutters, housing along with adding the HID bulbs and ballasts. Magic Man's HID kit uses the stock headlight assembly, shutters, etc. which were designed to work with HIDs. His kit just adds the ballasts and bulbs. They work great at a huge cost savings. Since they are tried and true on a number of Spyders, you don't have to worry about figuring out how to make cheap eBay HIDs work in a Spyder.

spickus
09-12-2008, 09:25 AM
It's odd that Star Rotors doesn't have any negative feedback regarding these, in fact I find about half a dozen positive feedbacks in as many pages. BUT what I failed to realize when I started writing this post was that the positive feedbacks are for these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220265209521). I was ready to order a set of HIDs from them. You should leave an appropriate feedback so others don't make the same mistake. A few weeks ago, I exchanged emails with them and they assured me that these are 100% plug and play. Either they're less than truthful or no one has complained.

Magic Man
09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Are you saying my version is not a true performance machine? I am crushed! LOL roflmao
-Scotty

To tell tell truth I bet your tri-cycle RIPS with that motor! :2thumbs:

I'd be scared to ride it! My legs would be tied in a knot once it got going! LOL! :shocked:

MM

Magic Man
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
It's odd that Star Rotors doesn't have any negative feedback regarding these, in fact I find about half a dozen positive feedbacks in as many pages. BUT what I failed to realize when I started writing this post was that the positive feedbacks are for these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220265209521). I was ready to order a set of HIDs from them. You should leave an appropriate feedback so others don't make the same mistake. A few weeks ago, I exchanged emails with them and they assured me that these are 100% plug and play. Either they're less than truthful or no one has complained.

As Spyders are not easy to get quite yet ,and not everyone has one at hand. I would be very surprised if they have even seen a Spyder first hand, more or less had one in their posession and tried to install a kit into one.

Being the Spyder uses a very different than normal way to hold the bulbs in place with the BRP factory clip. I think it is they may be assuming it has the standard bulb hold down.

MM

Roaddog2
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
-ScottyNo I like your version how fast can it go:thumbup:

Roaddog2
09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
BRPs HID system replaces the entire headlight assembly, shutters, housing along with adding the HID bulbs and ballasts. Magic Man's HID kit uses the stock headlight assembly, shutters, etc. which were designed to work with HIDs. His kit just adds the ballasts and bulbs. They work great at a huge cost savings. Since they are tried and true on a number of Spyders, you don't have to worry about figuring out how to make cheap eBay HIDs work in a Spyder.Thanks I will probaly do this soon:2thumbs:

daddydarko
09-12-2008, 09:52 AM

I'm hesitant to leave feedback until I'm certain. My dealer telling me they don't fit is a pretty good indication that I'm correct. I'm sure MM will give us the lowdown once he receives the set I purchased.

At the very least, it should have included documentation as the ad indicated. They have cooperated all along and assure me the lights fit. Again, I will defer to MM.

boogllasti
09-12-2008, 09:58 AM

I would proceed with extreme caution. While you probably can get them to hook up and work, good chance you'll be splicing some wires to do it.

I installed a kit that is typically used for cars and it works great, but it certainly was not what one would call 'plug and play'. The car-type ballasts are usually a bit bigger too - which makes for a more difficult install compared to the slim ballasts.

I would also question a company that has to show babes more than their products.;)

I went with a car kit from http://www.kbcarstuff.com/ for around $200, but after doing it I would recommend the no magic kit unless you're really sharp with electronics.

You won't be disappointed in the extra light a good HID kit gives you!

nyfdtsdemt
09-12-2008, 10:27 AM
The spyder headlights are 55w H7 not 100w that star-rotors sells.... on the search engine ebay type 55w H7 and they will pop up i paid $1 for the bulb and $6 to ship.

NancysToy
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
No I like your version how fast can it go:thumbup:
It would do about 45 when I was young enough and foolish enough to have the guts. Actually clocked it through the traps at the drag strip at 47, but that was with the previous engine. It was kind of tired, so I used a crate motor when I restored it. Unfortunately, I put on a cushy, sprung seat, so I feel far less than stable at speed now. About 35 I usually start to chicken out. BTW, MM, the pedals don't move. Full story featured in the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Motorcycle Classics.
-Scotty (aka. Scooter Scotty)

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread.