PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT SE6 stalling when put into gear.

ottawa-rider
06-02-2014, 06:50 PM
As anybody experienced this,

When you put your 2014 RT (1330 Engine) semi-automatic into gear from neutral, either to 1st or reverse, the engine stalls out but restart immediately when pressing the starter. It happened twice to me over the weekend and it has happened very often to my buddy since he's had his machine. He mentioned it to the dealer.

Also, I noticed, when it restarts, it stays in whatever gear it had been shifted to instead of returning to neutral.

I'm quite sure, when it happened to mine, I had started it before waiting for the screen to completely boot, that was of course after the engine had been stopped for only a brief period of time, don't know if this means something.

My buddy says it happens to him whether his Spyder is hot or cold or if its been stopped for a long or short period of time.

SpyRyd
06-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Happens to me on occasion...less often now with over 7500 miles on the clock.

samewok
06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
On the 14 i beleave you have to have your foot on the brake to start.

murphybrown
06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Find that '14 wants a little more warm up...and patience is not my middle name..so changing my routine. Start "studly". Do walk around..get on..secure helmet..FINALLY :roflblack::roflblack: can put in gear...:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
06-02-2014, 11:00 PM
On the test SE that I had it would do that if I restarted the bike when it was warm. Did not do it on a cold start

Nito
06-03-2014, 04:43 AM
My wife's bike has done this a few times, mine has done it once. I do tend to let the idle settle a little before engaging gear.

Sometimes mine slips into reverse with no clunk whatsoever, super smooth slick engagement, other times I get an occasional clunk (just to combine the two current threads!). First clunks from neutral, I'm sure it'll get slicker, pretty normal, most motorbikes do this too.

Cheers
Nito

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 07:13 AM
PK,
Thanks for your explanation.
Mine will stall once in a great while; it hasn't been an issue, and I don't foresee it becoming one! :D

ARtraveler
06-03-2014, 11:21 AM

When you put your 2014 RT (1330 Engine) semi-automatic into gear from neutral, either to 1st or reverse, the engine stalls out but restart immediately when pressing the starter. It happened twice to me over the weekend and it has happened very often to my buddy since he's had his machine. He mentioned it to the dealer.

Also, I noticed, when it restarts, it stays in whatever gear it had been shifted to instead of returning to neutral.

I'm quite sure, when it happened to mine, I had started it before waiting for the screen to completely boot, that was of course after the engine had been stopped for only a brief period of time, don't know if this means something.

My buddy says it happens to him whether his Spyder is hot or cold or if its been stopped for a long or short period of time.

Me too. Three or four times early on. Have not encountered in the last 1000 miles or so. Would like to know what gives though?

Nito
06-03-2014, 11:47 AM
I suspect it's a tiny bit of clutch drag, just enough to lower the revs at idle, stalling the bike.

stillriding
06-03-2014, 02:26 PM

My buddy says it happens to him whether his Spyder is hot or cold or if its been stopped for a long or short period of time.It's happened to me twice shifting into reverse. My cruise control failed to reset twice, too. (Unrelated to shifting.)

cuznjohn
06-03-2014, 02:54 PM
happens to me on occasion

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 04:42 PM
They seem to normally stop this little loveable trait after about a thousand miles or so... :thumbup:

sddinnh
06-11-2014, 04:49 AM

Happens to me every once in a while even with 4500 miles on it. I can see no pattern to it, but exactly the same symptoms. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
06-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Are you letting the rpm levels drop back to a normal idle speed before kicking it into gear? :dontknow:

ottawa-rider
06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
As an update to my original post,

while in Valcourt on Monday for the factory tour, my friend mentioned this issue to one of the guys there, he called another person in and they in turn called in a technician that came out and connected a laptop to the Spyder. They downloaded the information from the Spyder to the laptop, I assume they were using BUDS.

They are suppose to get back to my friend if they find anything.

Bob Denman
06-11-2014, 08:05 AM
:thumbup: That's good news... YOu've got the engineers at BRP on the case now! :2thumbs:

Denny B.
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I've had it a couple times on my '14. Could be the idle is just a smidgen too low?

granpa in Cincy
06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Are you letting the rpm levels drop back to a normal idle speed before kicking it into gear? :dontknow:

On the 14 i beleave you have to have your foot on the brake to start.

most of the time yes - sometimes no. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I've had it a couple times on my '14. Could be the idle is just a smidgen too low?
Not if it's idling at 900 rpm...

sddinnh
06-11-2014, 11:06 AM
It happens so infrequently that I just don't worry about it, I just re-start it and go. It's happened maybe 3 times in 4500 miles. If you find out anything from the factory, it would be interesting to know why though