PDA

View Full Version : 1st = Plunk / Reverse = Kerplunk

Texas
06-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Whenever I first put my RT-S (Automatic) into gear (either Reverse or 1st) after startup, I get a hard plunk or kerplunk (depending on which gear). It doesn't matter if I am starting it up for the first time in days, or starting it up after having just making a pitstop at a store, getting gas, etc... It's a pretty hard feeling/sound, which is why I thought I better ask around.

So my question is: Is everyone else experiencing this? I'm used to hearing/feeling plunks going into gear on motorcycles, but I don't know what is normal on the RT (and this is a automatic).

Bob Denman
06-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Yup!
That's "Norbal"! :D :thumbup:

wis2013rtltd
06-02-2014, 05:03 PM
of your Spyder flat, incline etc. The 14' requires you to have your foot on the brake and I think that may be causing the klunk if your not level etc.

billybovine
06-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Maybe this explanation will help since you sound like you are more tolerant of the clunk in a manual transmission.

The gear box in your Semi-automatic Spyder is identical in in every way to the gearbox in a manual model. So they are both going to clunk. The difference is that the the Semi-automatic has a computer controlled hydraulic box bolted onto the side that shifts the gears and operates the clutch.

samewok
06-02-2014, 05:15 PM
They all klunk.

ARCTIC
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
The Klunk feels very solid and reassures me my bike is ready to rock

Jeriatric
06-02-2014, 05:25 PM
When it stops klunking......start worrying :roflblack:

Pennyrick
06-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Ours go clunque and sometimes plunque.

kinda what you expect from a Canadian design.

Chupaca
06-02-2014, 07:36 PM
all of them do...Harleys do...what it is is..your engine starts up and runs at your idle speed. Your transmission is in neutral or not moving at all. Now you can shift into 1st 2nd or reverse and you are pushing the running engine into the idle gears of the transmission (klunk) now all the gears in the transmission are spinning as is the engine. The next time you shift gears they will mesh together because both engine and transmission are running (no klunk). If your old enough to remember the trannys before syncronizers were added this is nothing...you had to be an artist with a magic touch to shift smoothly...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Ours go clunque and sometimes plunque.

kinda what you expect from a Canadian design.

:roflblack::roflblack: Eh! :thumbup:

Texas
06-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks everyone, this is what I thought, but I wanted to run it by the team to be absolutely sure.

ARtraveler
06-03-2014, 10:13 AM
after a while you will find the sound and feeling charming and reassuring.
so as has been said, they all klunk.

I am a bit surprised that the pinnacles of perfection, that is to say the SE6 still klunks.
I suppose they had to design the klunk back in when it was discovered how insecure previous owners were when the gear changes were noiseless.

The klunk is not as loud on my 2014 vs. the 2011. :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
06-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I have been told by the service technician at my dealer that it is in fact normal. He has given me lots of good advice in the past, and I trust him. My '67 BSA 650 clunked into first even louder than my RT.

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 02:18 PM
My '67 BSA 650 clunked into first even louder than my RT.
But remember: your hearing was much better back then! :roflblack:

PMay
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Rofl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gundam
06-04-2014, 10:30 AM
..... if you are already in 1st gear with the :spyder2: stationary and you want to engage reverse gear.... press and hold the 'R' button and quickly double tap the 'down' lever.... the transmission will go from 1st to neutral then to reverse smoothly without the clunk...

Bob Denman
06-04-2014, 10:41 AM
:D Thanks!
I'll give that a try this afternoon... :thumbup:

Texas
06-04-2014, 12:15 PM
..... if you are already in 1st gear with the :spyder2: stationary and you want to engage reverse gear.... press and hold the 'R' button and quickly double tap the 'down' lever.... the transmission will go from 1st to neutral then to reverse smoothly without the clunk...

I have never had a problem with this. Mine too has always gone in smooth to another gear, if leaving a gear. I was refering to that inital gear entry after starting up the trike. However, this was explained as a spinning engine engaging non-spinning gears, which will almost always cause a "Plunk" sound.

However I still don't understand why engaging Reverse causes a "Kerplunk" sound. Since it is just another gear, shouldn't it just make the same sound?

Bob Denman
06-04-2014, 12:27 PM
:dontknow: There's got to be more going on; you're changing the direction of the power output... There must be more gears coming to play when you engage reverse. :thumbup:

PW2013STL
06-05-2014, 02:29 AM
But remember: your hearing was much better back then! :roflblack:

What did you say? Speak up please! :roflblack:

PW2013STL
06-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Funny thing is when I hear these klunks I think this is fairly tame, but my last bike was a Harley that I swear you could hear it a block away when I shifted into first.:yikes:

Bob Denman
06-05-2014, 07:22 AM
I'll bet it sounded and felt as if the transmission was trying to kick some gears out through the side of the cases... :yikes:

I tried that double-tap for getting into reverse...
The "KerPlunque"; became a simple "Clunque"! :thumbup: :D

Gundam
06-06-2014, 02:18 AM
I'll bet it sounded and felt as if the transmission was trying to kick some gears out through the side of the cases... :yikes:

I tried that double-tap for getting into reverse...
The "KerPlunque"; became a simple "Clunque"! :thumbup: :D

It is stated in the manual, instead of double tap, you can press and hold for more than 1/3 of a second and the transmission will double shift from first to reverse smoothly, ditto for reverse to first gear...

Bob Denman
06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I read that too...
It seems to take a well-practiced set of fingers to do that dance! :shocked:
Either that; or mine are just "All Thumbs"! :D

Gundam
06-06-2014, 08:22 AM
I have never had a problem with this. Mine too has always gone in smooth to another gear, if leaving a gear. I was refering to that inital gear entry after starting up the trike. However, this was explained as a spinning engine engaging non-spinning gears, which will almost always cause a "Plunk" sound.

However I still don't understand why engaging Reverse causes a "Kerplunk" sound. Since it is just another gear, shouldn't it just make the same sound?

For the initial engagement into first or reverse, you can greatly reduce the sound if you let the engine warm up to it's operating temperature... for reverse, if I'm not wrong, based on automotive transmission design for reverse gear, it is a simultaneous movement of a physical reverse gear wheel and the dog clutch, therefore you have the "Kerplunk" instead of just "Plunk" for first gear....