PDA

View Full Version : Will the Zumo Do What I Want ?

fleet
09-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I want a GPS / XM single unit that will cleanly mount just above the instrument cluster - right above where the "read me first" pull out lives - between the windshield with all wires routed out of sight. I want the XM radio channels to be transmitted wirelessly to an earpiece / earbud that is not attached to my helmet. Or maybe a really small "receiving unit" attached to the rear of my helmet with a audio jumper wire to the earbud or whatever. Driving directions from the GPS override / lower the XM music. So does the Zumo 550 do this ? IS the GPS / XM antenna built into the unit ? What's not included in the box that I'll have to buy seperately ? Brand name suggestions ? Estimated total cost ?

Any info will be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!

Spanky
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I want a GPS / XM single unit that will cleanly mount just above the instrument cluster - right above where the "read me first" pull out lives - between the windshield with all wires routed out of sight. I want the XM radio channels to be transmitted wirelessly to an earpiece / earbud that is not attached to my helmet. Or maybe a really small "receiving unit" attached to the rear of my helmet with a audio jumper wire to the earbud or whatever. Driving directions from the GPS override / lower the XM music. So does the Zumo 550 do this ? IS the GPS / XM antenna built into the unit ? What's not included in the box that I'll have to buy seperately ? Brand name suggestions ? Estimated total cost ?

The Zumo is great unit and yes you can mount it above instrument cluster but it wobbles like crazy. In order to get XM you will need to buy the optional XM antenna/receiver which is about 3 inches in diameter and almost an inch high. It will fit under the windshield but looks ugly so you may want black out the wndshield. The wife didn't like it so I put it on my KLR650. Now she just has the CB radio.

I am not sure about the bluetooth for XM, it may just be for the phone.

I have mine hardwired thru J&M Corp CB radio and headset.

The Zumo will override the XM for driving directions and the CB will override the Zumo. An added feature with the hardwired CB is that you have an open mic for the driver and passenger to talk with pushing any buttons.

bjt
09-15-2008, 09:53 AM

I can't help with much of this but I think that the Zumo will automatically quiet the music playing to speak driving directions. On my Zumo 450, MP3 playback is silenced whenever it wants to speak driving instructions. We will soon have the J&M CB setup like Spanky has.

drifter
09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
This is a link of another spyder lover member that shows how she mounted her gps. The mount shown comes with the gps. http://picasaweb.google.com/freylok/Spyder?authkey=zNINxc8u1N8#