PDA

View Full Version : One more tire thread

Cal777
06-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a question for the owners that have used aftermarket rear tires on the RT. I have saw Pirelli, Khumo,Falken, Michelin, Yokohama and Federal mentioned. I haven't heard much said about how many miles everyone has been getting from the different brands. I am thinking of going over to the dark side and would like to hear how much mileage everyone is getting. Also, if I missed any brands, please include them. Thanks, Rudy

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I have a question for the owners that have used aftermarket rear tires on the RT. I have saw Pirelli, Khumo,Falken, Michelin, Yokohama and Federal mentioned. I haven't heard much said about how many miles everyone has been getting from the different brands. I am thinking of going over to the dark side and would like to hear how much mileage everyone is getting. Also, if I missed any brands, please include them. Thanks, Rudy

...Actually KENDA is the " DARK SIDE "....:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::r oflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack::roflblack::roflblack:.......Mike :thumbup:.................PS,.. To the best of my vast knowledge :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.........there are only two that make 225/50-15.....Khumo & General,....the others have tires that are close and will also work.....But not the exact size......Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-01-2014, 08:21 PM
search this site...there was a member who made up a comparison sheet and there are no end to posts about the subject. Mileage, performance, sizes and brands. One of the top threads...good luck..!! :thumbup:

MouthPiece
06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I heard there was a local gas station/convenience store down there in Henry that sold all kinds of stuff. Perhaps they might know? <smiles>

Chris (hope all is well that way)

Bob Denman
06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I tried the Falken 912...
The tire lasted a little bit longer than the Kenda...
But as the tread wore down; hydroplaning became a VERY serious issue. :shocked:
Wet weather traction disappeared just like turning off a light! :yikes:

Cal777
06-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I've been told by a member who has been running Khumos on his RT since 2010 that he only gets slightly more miles on these than he did on the Kendra. If this is normal why switch?:dontknow:

MouthPiece
06-04-2014, 05:49 AM
I've been told by a member who has been running Khumos on his RT since 2010 that he only gets slightly more miles on these than he did on the Kendra. If this is normal why switch?:dontknow:

Agreed!!! I got a little over 15,000 miles on my 2010 RT-S. I think that is dad gum good for a motorcycle. I got a little over 12,000 on my 2013 RT-S. I think that's purdy much average. I'll continue with the Kendra.

​Chris

Magdave
06-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Kendra is a sexpot :shocked: Kenda is a tire and crappy one at that. :thumbup:

MouthPiece
06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Kendra is a sexpot :shocked: Kenda is a tire and crappy one at that. :thumbup:

I'll take both. <smiles>

​Chris

Magdave
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll take both. <smiles>

​Chris

Kendra looks like crap without make up but paint her up a little and:yes:

MarkLawson
06-04-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm running Michelins all around on my 2010 RT. I have over 16K & am expecting 35-40K on the rear at this point, provided traction and hydroplaning don't become a problem. Quality tire manufacturer and less expensive than OEM.

tigerdr
06-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Same for me. Michelin on the three corner...

lyonsden
06-04-2014, 10:50 PM
I have Michelin on the back. Have about 8k miles on it and still looks like new. General's on the front but not enough miles to say yet. Maybe 3000 but still look new.

D-Nice
08-16-2014, 02:27 AM
I need to replace my rear tire on my 08 Rs and want to go aftermarket. For those of you running an aftermarket rear tire, What size did you buy? its my understanding that the stock rear tire size is not a common size for car tires. How much bigger did you guys go and what brand did you go with?

MarkLawson
08-16-2014, 07:30 AM
I need to replace my rear tire on my 08 Rs and want to go aftermarket. For those of you running an aftermarket rear tire, What size did you buy? its my understanding that the stock rear tire size is not a common size for car tires. How much bigger did you guys go and what brand did you go with?

I believe I have a Michelin HydroEdge 215/60R15 on my RT. Speedometer is now never more than 1 MPH different than my GPS & often reads the same speed. Slightly taller overall, but never a Nanny problem.

Dan McNally
08-16-2014, 07:59 AM

One valid reason is that you can buy a Kumho Ecsta AST, have it mounted, balanced, and installed and still not have spent what it costs just to buy the OEM Kenda . . . and then you still need to pay for the Kenda mounting, balancing, and install. nojoke

D-Nice
08-16-2014, 08:01 AM
I had a chance to take a look at a few more threads and found one where someone that used the exact style but different size of Yokohama s.drives tire that I have for my front on there rear. they used 205 55R 15 for the rear. any idea how that compares to stock? tires are the one thing I don't know much about.

SPYD3R
08-16-2014, 08:12 AM
HERE'S THE A SHORT LISTINGS FOR VARIOUS MAKES OF THE: 225/50-R15 THAT WE REQUIRE...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&performance=ALL&width=225%2F&ratio=50&diameter=15

HERE IS ONLINE TIRES...
http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

DISCOUNT TIRE....
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize.do?fl=&sortBy=prca&r=SCGINT|pc|29640&ar=50&fqs=true&rd=15&y=9&x=33&cs=225

KUMHO
http://www.kumhousa.com/

jScotD
08-16-2014, 08:59 AM
http://www.veerubber.co.th/2013/?cat=78&cur-cat=motorcycle

WackyDan
08-16-2014, 10:18 AM

Kuhmos are crap for the Spyder. Wet traction was horrible compared to the Kenda and half worn they hydroplaned ever worse.

The best tire for the rear so far has been the Toyo Proxes 4 which is now discontinued... That tire is awesome in the dry, rain, and standing water. It amazes me how sticky it is even on wet roads. They discontinued them of course.

Others have gone with the Michelin Hydroedge Pilots - different size, but no issues and those are also awesome in the rain and lasting far more miles than the Kenda.

HenryA
08-16-2014, 11:54 AM
I believe I have a Michelin HydroEdge 215/60R15 on my RT. Speedometer is now never more than 1 MPH different than my GPS & often reads the same speed. Slightly taller overall, but never a Nanny problem.

I'm with you. I have 4,000 miles on a Firestone Touring Elite 215/60R15 purchased and mounted locally. Speedometer is now spot on with the mile markers and no problems with the Nanny. Still have the stock tires on front of my 2010 RS

sledmaster
08-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Kuhmos are crap for the Spyder. Wet traction was horrible compared to the Kenda and half worn they hydroplaned ever worse.

The best tire for the rear so far has been the Toyo Proxes 4 which is now discontinued... That tire is awesome in the dry, rain, and standing water. It amazes me how sticky it is even on wet roads. They discontinued them of course.

Agreed, that was my experience as well. I bought up six of the Toyo Proxes 4 tires while they were still available, and am using a Maxxis Victra on my 2008 right now.