PDA

View Full Version : What do I need, and what do I need to know?

SpyderDuck
06-01-2014, 08:16 AM
It looks like I am moving up to a 2014 RT Limited. I have been reading here, but in a nutshell, can you guys tell me what I really need to know about the bike before the first ride, and what additional farkles are recommended? I currently have a 2009 RS.

Bob Denman
06-01-2014, 08:56 AM
:congrats: Other than getting used to shifting at or below 2,500 rpm; you're good to go! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
06-01-2014, 08:57 AM
If you have been ryding it is not what you need to know as much as just enjoy the changes. It is still the same machine with a whole lot of great changes. As for farkles and mods...the roadster is great just as it is. Those will come once you have put some miles on it and you see some things you would like to do...and you will. It's an ill that comes with these rydes.,Farkeling..!! :roflblack: now stop looking like your moving up and move..!! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
06-01-2014, 09:03 AM
If you have been ryding it is not what you need to know as much as just enjoy the changes. It is still the same machine with a whole lot of great changes. As for farkles and mods...the roadster is great just as it is. Those will come once you have put some miles on it and you see some things you would like to do...and you will. It's an ill that comes with these rydes.,Farkeling..!! :roflblack: now stop looking like your moving up and move..!! :2thumbs:
:agree:

murphybrown
06-01-2014, 09:07 AM
IMHO the only thing you need is to ryde, ryde, ryde. Now as to my wants (aka mods)...more lites from TricLEDS and the Denali xtremes lites wired into hi/low beam. ROLO Laser alignment, Bajaron sway bar , Spyderpops Bumpskid and front grill screens (without them you will fill those "cavities" without all sort of highway crap and bugs), Kempie 2brothers exhaust (all about the sound for me!!!), Baker Bilt Airwings, Lamont's pegs and cat bypass, JT's dash bar to mount stuff and his dual tire fill.
and then BJ's FLO for organization. TricLED's zipped organizer for saddle bag and back trunk lids, cup holder (OMG move that to front of list)...well that is a few new mods I added...transferred my Corbin seat with gas door and backrest.
yep mods never quit...
then there is the trailer!!!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-01-2014, 04:59 PM
:D A farkling I wil go...
A farkling I wil gooooo...
Hi-Ho the Derry-Oh...
A Farkling I will go! :ohyea:

ARtraveler
06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
The LTD comes pretty much fully farkled--UNLESS--you may want seat, back rest, riding gear, or handling items.

I would recommend giving it a thousand miles or so to see if you really need anything.

Bob's mention about new shifting points is right on. Get used to shifting at 2500 rpms. (ECO mode even shifts lower--but I don't like it). Plenty of power and torque to get up and go. I let it downshift by itself. Used to do that part manually, but don't need to any more.

SpyderDuck
06-01-2014, 07:06 PM

It's already on order. Moving up is imminent.

I know that a lot of farkles are just personal preference, but I didn't know if there were any that would be of great benefit for safety reasons, for comfort, or for performance.

Good to know about the shifting difference!

Oh, I am well aware of farklemania. I have the Ed Hardy bike that has been bedazzled, lol!

Nils888
06-01-2014, 10:11 PM
1 Bump skid
2 Baja ron sway bar
3 Laser alignment
4 Smooth spyder belt tensioner

garb55
06-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Since you already own a :f_spider: I am sure you made upgrades to it
I had a 2008 GS and when I first road my 2014 I realized how much the upgrades to my GS helped
I had had Elka shocks - heavy duty sway bar - adjustable handle bars - HID light - and the list goes on and on
Now on my 2014 I am installing all the same farkles because I feel they are needed
So look at your :f_spider: and see what you added. It will probably be the same on your new one
Don

Bob Denman
06-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Oh, I am well aware of farklemania. I have the Ed Hardy bike that has been bedazzled, lol!
:nopic: :2thumbs:

SpyderDuck
06-03-2014, 11:54 AM
A few pics of my 09 RS.

Bob Denman
06-03-2014, 12:00 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif :2thumbs:

SpyderDuck
06-03-2014, 12:09 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif :2thumbs:

Thank you, Bob. Did it all myself.

Now, to figure out what to do with a white RT... hmmm...

Flight Risk
06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
BajaRon anti-sway bar for sure

Bob Denman
06-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Thank you, Bob. Did it all myself.

Now, to figure out what to do with a white RT... hmmm...

Everybody has their own ideas...
But a Red, White, and Blue color-scheme usually looks fantastic!