PDA

View Full Version : Who has upgraded to a new Spyder

vtrider
06-01-2014, 06:58 AM
And had nothing wrong with there old ride, just for the sake of having the latest and newer model/models? When I bought my 2013 RT LTD it wasn't that I disliked my perfectly good 2008 SM5 GS Spyder. In fact I had very few issues with it in the five years that I owned it and it was well cared for. You would never know that it had 60,000 miles on it. I did however had trouble shifting it because of lost of strength and mobility in my left foot that was caused by nerve damage from lower back issues that led to surgery. So that is when I decided on getting a new 2013 RT LTD SE5 leftover that my dealer had at the end of last summer. I liked the RT SE5 for better rider and passenger ergonomics. So far I am happy with my 2013 RT. I know some have had problems with the 2013's, but many folks are also OK with them. Would I have been better waiting for the 2014? Maybe! If I knew at the time that the 2014's would have had a newer and improved 1330 ACE engine and complete redesign, I may have waited for the 2014. The 2013 at that time was about $8000 less for me though. That is a lot of money in my eyes! I guess I have to look at that and just enjoy what I have and I do! These are expensive motor toys! I'm sure down the road some of us here will unload there perfectly good older Spyders or the newer 2014's for let's say a 2016 or 2017 model year and maybe even a 2015 just for the sake of change, especially if BRP comes out with something fresh and new. I can't argue that I wouldn't do the same. I do however want to retire someday, so I need to stop spending on these expensive toys at some point. Like I stated, for now I'm happy with the 2013 that I have and have fun with it. I just keep adding the farkles that I want to make it mine! In the end, isn't that what it is all about? Being happy, having fun and just enjoy! :)

PW2013STL
06-01-2014, 07:18 AM
As the song goes "Love the one your with". Nothing wrong with that.

I did trade in our 2013 ST-L for the RT-L. There was nothing Wrong with it, but I did not like the heat on the right foot due to the radiator being so close to that foot.
It was a $ hit doing that, but for me worth every cent. It is so much more present to ride. Will I be trading again? At this point I do not beleive so, but only time will tell.

Enjoy your ride and here's :cheers: To many miles of smiles.

PrairieSpyder
06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
As the song goes "Love the one your with". Nothing wrong with that.
. . . . .
Enjoy your ride and here's :cheers: To many miles of smiles.

:agree:

rnet
06-01-2014, 09:58 AM
sure is nice hearing from the (old timers):roflblack: every now and then. :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Love our RS sm5 2012 which has given us 19,000 enjoyable miles with no problems. Can't see fixing something that ain't broke. Being an RS type we are in a different place here there were no real changes made for us. With the mods we have made we are ahead of change...enjoy tour ryde and if you can afford the upgrades by all means go for it....:2thumbs::ohyea:we will ryde this one till one of us can go no further...:roflblack:

murphybrown
06-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I was not going to trade until 2015. My '10 was relatively issue free .. but the more I read on the '14 the more interested I became and then I said JUST DO IT...and I did and there is not an ounce of regret or looking back. Luv, luv, luv the improvements to the '14. For me, I am pleased with what I have in this moment....try not to live outside of that moment, since it is the only one I truly have. (Don't always succeed...but get more skilled with years...:yikes:)

Enjoy your ryde...never feel you have to justify your choices to others or yourself....if your choices don't result in good consequences than change. If life is how you want/need it...then keep on keeping on.

Rockwall
06-01-2014, 10:30 AM
I too am an RS Manual Shift guy so my 2012 with mods is just the way I want it. The newer models are heavier with less HP so there is no reason to change. If the three cylinder was available on the RS that might be a different story!:doorag:

DrewNJ
06-01-2014, 12:21 PM
It's going to have to be something pretty significant to get me out of my 2012 RS SM5. A LOT more significant than a low rev motor with only 9 more hp that also comes with significantly more weight.....so I hope BRP isn't banking on that change to the RS...lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
06-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Traded in my 2008 GS with 23,500 miles in perfect condition and farkeled to the hilt, on a Premier Edition 2010 RTS when they first arrived.

Then:

I traded in my perfectly good 2010 RTS with 36,500 miles on the new 2014 RT-S--because I had to have the latest and greatest.

We are holding on to the 2011 RT A & C with 13,000 miles because I just can't afford to buy another RT--if I was swimming in money--I would though.

Bob Denman
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
There are actually two different issues being kicked around in here at the same time...
Who traded (or didn't!) an older RT for the newer model?
And...
Who traded (or didn't!), from another Spyder model, to the new RT?

I swapped in my 2010 RT because I could see that all of the improvements that I could have wished for... had come true! :D :2thumbs:

wolphspyder
06-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I traded a 2013 STS......never had any problems.....it was manual shift.....and loved it, dealer made me an offer I really could not refuse and put me on a 2014 RT with the SE6, and I have been ryding the heck out of it.....love it.....and the smiles just keep on coming. Again, thank you Pitbull.

wolphspyder
06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I traded a 2013 STS......never had any problems.....it was manual shift.....and loved it, dealer made me an offer I really could not refuse and put me on a 2014 RT with the SE6, and I have been ryding the heck out of it.....love it.....and the smiles just keep on coming.Thanks again Pittbull.:2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2014, 08:40 PM
:2excited::clap::yes::yes::yes::yes:......There no one on this site who is tighter with a buck than me ( I'll take on all challengers :roflblack: ). That being said after my 2014 RT demo ride at Spyderfest......I could not justify ......NOT HAVING ONE.......period. It's that good of a machine. Tome it's like this is BRP's first Spyder and the others were test MULES for the REAL thing......The difference is like Night vs. Day .....Up vs. Down......Good vs. Bad etc.. As I said to the instructor ...I'm not easily impressed ( and many here can testify to that one :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ).......But OMG they nailed it .....freking NAILED...............................with one exception...................the OEM grips have got to go and they will be soon......I probably will loose the Heat function (?) (not sure yet ) but I would only use that MAYBE .05 % of the time .....The grips I'm putting will be making me very very HAPPY 99.5 % of the time ....That's a trade off I can live with.................I had planned on waiting till 2015 and buying either a left-over or a used one ........Then I found out I could actually own one for .................................................. .................................................. ..............$ 21,340........... So I got it NOW.....and I have no regrets.......Time is a precious commodity so don't waste it .......Mike :thumbup:

garb55
06-01-2014, 08:55 PM
:2excited::clap::yes::yes::yes::yes:......There no one on this site who is tighter with a buck than me ( I'll take on all challengers :roflblack: ). That being said after my 2014 RT demo ride at Spyderfest......I could not justify ......NOT HAVING ONE.......period. It's that good of a machine. Tome it's like this is BRP's first Spyder and the others were test MULES for the REAL thing......The difference is like Night vs. Day .....Up vs. Down......Good vs. Bad etc.. As I said to the instructor ...I'm not easily impressed ( and many here can testify to that one :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ).......But OMG they nailed it .....freking NAILED...............................with one exception...................the OEM grips have got to go and they will be soon......I probably will loose the Heat function (?) (not sure yet ) but I would only use that MAYBE .05 % of the time .....The grips I'm putting will be making me very very HAPPY 99.5 % of the time ....That's a trade off I can live with.................I had planned on waiting till 2015 and buying either a left-over or a used one ........Then I found out I could actually own one for .................................................. .................................................. ..............$ 21,340........... So I got it NOW.....and I have no regrets.......Time is a precious commodity so don't waste it .......Mike :thumbup:

Mike
If you want to keep the heated grips you can
I put on the Kuriakin grips [NOT the clam shell they are too thick

PM me and I will tell you how to do it
Don

grich
06-01-2014, 09:18 PM
i live in Mineola Tx so I'm an hour ride north of Greenville Tx home of Louis Power Sports which is where i got my 2013 RT Limited and enjoyed it immensely Sat the 31 i took Spyder in for St inspection sticker and ECM adjustment was their with a friend also owning a 2013 RT Limited when all said and done we left the 13's with Louis and departed with the 2014 RT Limited and their is a world of difference in those two rides enjoyed my time on the 13 but for just the short time with new Spyder short ride on Sun the 1st about 90 miles and the fuel gauge came down just under the 3/4 mark so i used just a little over a 1/4 of a tank where as the 13 would have used 3/4 looking forward to great riding

vtrider
06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
:2excited::clap::yes::yes::yes::yes:......There no one on this site who is tighter with a buck than me ( I'll take on all challengers :roflblack: ). That being said after my 2014 RT demo ride at Spyderfest......I could not justify ......NOT HAVING ONE.......period. It's that good of a machine. Tome it's like this is BRP's first Spyder and the others were test MULES for the REAL thing......The difference is like Night vs. Day .....Up vs. Down......Good vs. Bad etc.. As I said to the instructor ...I'm not easily impressed ( and many here can testify to that one :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ).......But OMG they nailed it .....freking NAILED...............................with one exception...................the OEM grips have got to go and they will be soon......I probably will loose the Heat function (?) (not sure yet ) but I would only use that MAYBE .05 % of the time .....The grips I'm putting will be making me very very HAPPY 99.5 % of the time ....That's a trade off I can live with.................I had planned on waiting till 2015 and buying either a left-over or a used one ........Then I found out I could actually own one for .................................................. .................................................. ..............$ 21,340........... So I got it NOW.....and I have no regrets.......Time is a precious commodity so don't waste it .......Mike :thumbup: Mike, Congrats on the new RT! It sounds like you made a good choice! I'll have to swing down to Moretown sometimes when I get a chance to check it out! :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
We upgraded from a 2012 RT Limited to 2014 RT Limited in January 2014! The 2012 RT Limited was a great machine, no problems, very reliable, etc. However, when the new 2014 RT engine/transmission came out, we just had to have it!

We really liked the 2012 RT, but the 2014 RT is an AWESOME machine :thumbup:....love the lower RPM's, smoothness of engine and shifting, etc. MPG is greatly improved over my 2012.....did I mention I really like our 2014 RT! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
It's tough to stop grinning; isn't it?? :D 89405