PDA

View Full Version : California & the other States

jimcrom
05-30-2014, 02:27 PM
This may be better posted in the CA forum but with people buying spyders in different states, it might be helpful...

Currently I live in California but used to live in Michigan. I have been spending time here in Michigan dealing with my mother in laws illness. So naturally I check out the spyders in the area of Grand Rapids and the Reed City area.

Do the spyders from outside of California have different emission controls or are there in essence two production models? One for CA and one for the rest of the world. If I decide to buy the new 2014 RT what will the problems with trying to take it back to CA.

The wife seems to be on board with upgrading from the 2008 to the new one but her question and mine is will it be cheaper or the issue of buying a new one out of state, I heard something about the vehicle has to have 7500 miles before being registered in California.

Any thoughts or experiences from those who might have or thought about it would be much appreciated!

joet82
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
out of the box, all Spyders should be 50 state emissioned.

Chupaca
05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
There are many stories about this. California is a different country..:roflblack:nojoke I would buy a new one here and avoid the ever changing laws. Sometimes they charge you smog impact fees, they charge sales taxes and who knows what they may dream up. All roadsters are emission compliant. But for example I moved here with a 2011 VW Jetta sports wagon bought in Conn. It has all the emissions with special atten to CA. To register here had to pass smog check which of course it did and additional vin etc. In the end it cost $1800.00 to register. Check with DMV first...:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
:agree: We've heard some very unusual stories about the experiences of folks bringing a vehicle into California, and trying to get it registered... :shocked:

Dan_Ashley
05-30-2014, 04:33 PM
If you bring it into California and it does not have 50 state emmissions or California emmissions printed on the sticker on the swing arm then you will NOT be able to register it. The only exception is if you were a resident of another state, were a resident of California and your car was destroyed in another state, OR if it has at least 7,500 miles on it.

then to register it, you have to remove the tuberware so the DMV can easily check the vin number. It is a serious pain in the a$$.

Spyder4Tess
06-01-2014, 09:18 AM
If I decide to buy the new 2014 RT what will the problems with trying to take it back to CA.

Being a Ca. resident,you would not be able to register it unless it is a 50 state legal bike.
If it is not 50 state legal,then it would have to show 7500 miles on the clock.

I bought my Harley in Reno.It was 50 state legal and had to have DMV inspect the smog stickers on the frame.Then had to do more paper work with the selling dealer to get it registered.

Go to the Ca. DMV website for more info.

Blue Star
06-01-2014, 10:11 AM
My daughter while stationed in New York bought her car, and when he discharged came home to California. That is when she found out about all the hassle of transferring from NY to CA. She ended up selling the car, and buying another one.

Dan_Ashley
06-01-2014, 02:17 PM
It is really hard to do: here is a guide printed by The Government of The People's State of California: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

Flamewinger
06-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Years ago Honda's Goldwing was made in two versions, a New York/California version and a different version for the rest of the states. This got pricy so the GL1800's were made all the same. Some states do.vehicles certifications. (Like Pensylvania)

So far I believe that BRP makes all the bikes all the same since my ST has wire harnesses that are also used in the RT.

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan_Ashley
06-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Years ago Honda's Goldwing was made in two versions, a New York/California version and a different version for the rest of the states. This got pricy so the GL1800's were made all the same. Some states do.vehicles certifications. (Like Pensylvania)

So far I believe that BRP makes all the bikes all the same since my ST has wire harnesses that are also used in the RT.

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nope. They are not the same. At least the last time I asked them--about two months ago.

MRH
06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
I bought mine in Nevada and brought it home to California. The dealer told me a story about another Spyder they had sold to a CA resident only to find that it was a 49 state model, and not registrable in CA. They now stock only the CA versions to avoid the issue in the future, but apparently there are also versions that are not CA friendly. The dealer should be able to tell you, and I'm sure you can call BRP with the VIN number if you have any doubts.

Dan_Ashley
06-02-2014, 04:08 PM
I bought mine in Nevada and brought it home to California. The dealer told me a story about another Spyder they had sold to a CA resident only to find that it was a 49 state model, and not registrable in CA. They now stock only the CA versions to avoid the issue in the future, but apparently there are also versions that are not CA friendly. The dealer should be able to tell you, and I'm sure you can call BRP with the VIN number if you have any doubts.
You have to look at the label under the seat. If you can not find the word "California" on that label, then it can not be registered in California as a new vehicle. They define "new" as anything with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer.

Jeriatric
06-02-2014, 04:23 PM
out of the box, all Spyders should be 50 state emissioned.

It's that simple.

nojoke

Dan_Ashley
06-02-2014, 04:30 PM
It's that simple.

nojokeyeah. It is that simple, but it is not accurate.

Jeriatric
06-02-2014, 04:33 PM
NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase

●unless●

'it meets'.........or is exempt from California emission standards. (If it meets Ca emission standards...the 7500 mile rule does not apply.

If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

Bottom line. Cal wants you to make your purchases in Cal.

Dan_Ashley
06-02-2014, 04:46 PM
I used to teach in the MBA program at University of California. Once I did a study to determine the cost of complying with governmental regulations, federal, state, and local. I learned that it costs, in terms of administrative costs only, about 11% of our GDP. This does not include the costs of remediation, construction, or "doing things." This is the admin costs only. After adding in the total costs I determined that our over regulation of our lives costs the average household about $15,000 per year. That is what? About 20% to 25% of the average household's take home pay. I am unsure of the percentage right now, but hey, at a time of economic malaise, this is a largely unwelcome cost.

California's vehicle registration laws are part of that.

edit: I was wrong. I just looked up the 2012 median household income. Per the US census it is $51,371. That means governmental regulations cost each household over 29% of their income. This comes in terms of higher grocery prices, more expensive clothes...everything.

edit 2: http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/02/ken_braun_federal_government_s.html

Jeriatric
06-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm just a clod kicker who researched Cal DMV requirements before purchasing his spyder out of state.

What is not mentioned is this. The DMV office MUST SEE the emissions sticker still in place and the physical engine # stamp as well as the frame # stamp. Before they will proceed with registration. They may also require a notarized purchase agreement, with a picture of the spyder included. Lucky for me...I had done this in advance.

Letting them see the numbers will require lifting the seat to see the sticker, removing panels to view the engine stamp, and the DMV person laying on the ground to read the frame #'s.